Beware of incomplete records

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of my research projects I was trying to find the grave of a pioneer in Harrison county. I looked on line and after a time located the cemetery and burial site. Records indicated that he was married twice. His first wife is buried in one cemetery he in another but no record of his second wife burial. Ask a couple of the old folks and they claimed that his second wife is buried next to him. Cemetery records have no mention of it. Find-a-grave has no record of her. Yet I found a obit in the hometown screwdriver of her death. Be careful when you search the records if you don't find something it doesn't mean it's not there.

Shoddy bookkeeping, dereliction of duty, or incompetence may account for many vital pieces of the puzzle being lost.In this case it looks like the coroner was just to busy with his dry goods store and fur buying business to inter the death and the same man was the local cemetery Sexton. I bet he never issued a death certificate. We will see!!!!!!!

Senior Deacon

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SD I totally agree regarding lost, misplaced or omitted records, but I also keep a look out for people that don't even exist, ie: no record of their existence but there's a headstone placed for them

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen that a couple of time just on this board. In my case it was dereliction of duty. In those cases it may be that X marks the spot. Nothing harder than getting a judge to sign a exhumation order. It's then you may become a rich grave robber.

Senior Deacon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread