Knights' Gold . . . 5,000 Gold Coins . . . Largest KGC Treasure Ever Discovered

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1934 two Baltimore boys found a copper pot containing 5,000 19th-century gold coins buried under an old tenement house. The new book Knights' Gold will prove that the treasure was actually the property of the Baltimore castle of the KGC, and not the savings of a wealthy miser. John Wilkes Booth, a member of the Baltimore KGC, lived just four blocks from the treasure site. The Baltimore cache represents the largest documented KGC treasure ever uncovered.

Attachments

• cover4.jpg
    cover4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 569
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel, this one was missed by everyone for years. The gold was thought to be the life savings of a wealthy miser. I researched the owners of the house during the 1850s and 1860s and found that both owners were Confederate sympathizers, and both were connected to James Armstrong & Co., a maker of fine soaps and candles. One of the home's owners was one the board of directors, and he was a ship's captain whose ship had been seized for illegal African slave trading. The other was an executive at the candle company who was accused by occupying Union troops of being a rebel supporter. This man had portraits of Confederate heroes hung in his parlor. The CEO of the candle company was also the Grand Master of the Maryland Freemasons, and had been sponsored for that position by Albert Pike. The CEO's friend and political ally was a close friend of John Wilkes Booth, and may have been involved in the original plot to kidnap Lincoln. The book is well researched and reads like a novel. Knights' Gold proves that the KGC buried treasure, and lots of it. I like to think of it as a sequel to Brewer and Getler's Rebel Gold.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1934 two Baltimore boys found a copper pot containing 5,000 19th-century gold coins buried under an old tenement house. The new book Knights' Gold will prove that the treasure was actually the property of the Baltimore castle of the KGC, and not the savings of a wealthy miser. John Wilkes Booth, a member of the Baltimore KGC, lived just four blocks from the treasure site. The Baltimore cache represents the largest documented KGC treasure ever uncovered.

View attachment 1368489

PhillyJack,

Are you the same person that sent me an EMail to go to Amazon and check out "Knight's Gold" You mentioned the 5,000 gold coins found and you mentioned that the Mexican Silver Dollars in Danville, Virginia was recovered by George Kane in 1869. I checked out Amazon and it says the book is "FICTION" so no truth to the story. If you have any facts to verify that your statement is true--------REVEAL IT. If you are not the person that sent me the EMail then I am sorry to have bothered you.

YES YOU ARE THE SAME MAN. I WILL NOT POST YOUR NAME BUT EVERYONE PROBABLY KNOWS WHAT IT IS. WHY WOULD YOU USE A FICTION BOOK TO VERIFY AND TELL ME ABOUT A TRUE TREASURE AND GIVE ME FALSE INFORMATION?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel, this one was missed by everyone for years. The gold was thought to be the life savings of a wealthy miser. I researched the owners of the house during the 1850s and 1860s and found that both owners were Confederate sympathizers, and both were connected to James Armstrong & Co., a maker of fine soaps and candles. One of the home's owners was one the board of directors, and he was a ship's captain whose ship had been seized for illegal African slave trading. The other was an executive at the candle company who was accused by occupying Union troops of being a rebel supporter. This man had portraits of Confederate heroes hung in his parlor. The CEO of the candle company was also the Grand Master of the Maryland Freemasons, and had been sponsored for that position by Albert Pike. The CEO's friend and political ally was a close friend of John Wilkes Booth, and may have been involved in the original plot to kidnap Lincoln. The book is well researched and reads like a novel. Knights' Gold proves that the KGC buried treasure, and lots of it. I like to think of it as a sequel to Brewer and Getler's Rebel Gold.

I would not say it is a sequel to HBB and Warren Getler's book, "Rebel Gold" I did not care much for that book either.

OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knights' Gold is Nonfiction

kane1.gif

Franklin, Knights' Gold is absolutely nonfiction.

George Kane was the former police marshal in Baltimore. He was thrown in jail by Lincoln and Seward for his part in the April, 1861 bridge burnings in Baltimore. When he was released a couple years later, he traveled to Canada and joined the Confederate Secret Service in Montreal. He was known as Colonel Kane in the CSS. Booth went to Montreal in 1864 to present Kane and his cohorts with the plan for kidnaping Lincoln.

In 1865, when Richmond was being abandoned, Kane was in the Shenandoah Valley on assignment and was summoned to meet the Jeff Davis train in Danville. Although Kane later lied about it, and said he went south with the train, he remained behind in Danville . . . for approximately four years! He worked in the tobacco industry there and was apparently also the sentinel for the 39 kegs of Mexican silver. Once the silver was finally moved, Kane sold his tobacco enterprise and returned to Baltimore, where he became the sheriff and eventually Mayor before his death in 1878. Kane could not move the 9,000 pounds of silver early on because Danville had become a Union Army supply depot and was crawling with Union soldiers.

It is all in my book . . . and is documented (Jeff Davis' own papers put Kane back in Danville and not in North Carolina).

PhillyJack

PhillyJack,

Are you the same person that sent me an EMail to go to Amazon and check out "Knight's Gold" You mentioned the 5,000 gold coins found and you mentioned that the Mexican Silver Dollars in Danville, Virginia was recovered by George Kane in 1869. I checked out Amazon and it says the book is "FICTION" so no truth to the story. If you have any facts to verify that your statement is true--------REVEAL IT. If you are not the person that sent me the EMail then I am sorry to have bothered you.

YES YOU ARE THE SAME MAN. I WILL NOT POST YOUR NAME BUT EVERYONE PROBABLY KNOWS WHAT IT IS. WHY WOULD YOU USE A FICTION BOOK TO VERIFY AND TELL ME ABOUT A TRUE TREASURE AND GIVE ME FALSE INFORMATION?

OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kane Was Also Involved With The KGC in Baltimore

Danville sentinel George Kane, a friend of John Wilkes Booth, was one of the leaders of the KGC in Baltimore. Allan Pinkerton certainly suspected him of being involved with the plot to kill Lincoln in 1861. Kane's supporter, friend, and political ally was Charles Webb, head of the Maryland Freemasons and the owner of a large soap and candle firm. Webb was sponsored as Grand Master of Maryland Freemasonry by his "companion" Mason, Albert Pike, the suspected head of the national KGC. Webb's right hand man at the soap and candle firm was Andrew J. Saulsbury, owner of the Baltimore home under which 5,000 gold coins would later be unearthed.

Knights' Gold has all the details.

HenryTheo.gif

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danville sentinel George Kane, a friend of John Wilkes Booth, was one of the leaders of the KGC in Baltimore. Allan Pinkerton certainly suspected him of being involved with the plot to kill Lincoln in 1861. Kane's supporter, friend, and political ally was Charles Webb, head of the Maryland Freemasons and the owner of a large soap and candle firm. Webb was sponsored as Grand Master of Maryland Freemasonry by his "companion" Mason, Albert Pike, the suspected head of the national KGC. Webb's right hand man at the soap and candle firm was Andrew J. Saulsbury, owner of the Baltimore home under which 5,000 gold coins would later be unearthed.

Knights' Gold has all the details.

View attachment 1369538

You quote Jefferson Davis' book or his papers mentioning Kane in Danville and right away you think he made off with the Mexican Silver Dollars. Hell there were over 5,000 people in Danville did they make off with 40 Mexican Silver Dollars each?
If your book is non-fiction you need to have it changed on Amazon because they list it as FICTION. Do you have any documents, letters or anything at all that says George Kane made off with the Mexican Silver Dollars? Do you have any documents, letters or papers that say he was a SENTINEL over the Mexican Silver Dollars? All purely speculation and FICTION.

OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sentinel George Kane in Danville

Franklin, I do not have photos of Kane "making off" with the silver. What I do have is proof that Kane was suddenly called south from Shenandoah Valley on an emergency basis (rode through the woods day and night until he was exhausted but in Danville) to meet the Davis train at Danville. His role as a Confederate Secret Service agent and former police marshal was to provide security for the train and its contents. When the train pulled out, both Kane and the silver were left behind. Davis' own papers show that Kane was sending telegrams providing intelligence on troop movements around Danville. He stayed in Danville.

When later interviewed about his activities during this period, Kane lied and said he rode south with the Davis train to Greensboro where he took sick and was in bed for several days. Someone brought him the newspaper while he was recovering, and the news was about Lincoln's assassination.

Kane stayed in Danville for approximately four years! Yet he called his tobacco business "Roanoke Tobacco." He lied about being in Danville and did not want his name associated with Danville. Kane had a wife, family, friends, and lucrative career waiting back in Baltimore. He would become sheriff and then Mayor upon his return. Why did Kane ride into Danville on a sudden, emergency basis and then not leave for over four years???

Yes, there were 5,000 people in Danville. But only one was called there on short notice to guard the boxcar and then the silver, and did not leave for four years. Everything Kane did and said points to him as being the sentinel for the Danville silver. And he did not leave until the silver had been safely removed and his mission finished.

Not fiction, Franklin. This is a very good educated guess backed up by documentation, Davis' papers, and Kane's own words.

KaneApril8.gif

Attachments

• KaneBooth.jpg
    KaneBooth.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 224

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, I do not have photos of Kane "making off" with the silver. What I do have is proof that Kane was suddenly called south from Shenandoah Valley on an emergency basis (rode through the woods day and night until he was exhausted but in Danville) to meet the Davis train at Danville. His role as a Confederate Secret Service agent and former police marshal was to provide security for the train and its contents. When the train pulled out, both Kane and the silver were left behind. Davis' own papers show that Kane was sending telegrams providing intelligence on troop movements around Danville. He stayed in Danville.

When later interviewed about his activities during this period, Kane lied and said he rode south with the Davis train to Greensboro where he took sick and was in bed for several days. Someone brought him the newspaper while he was recovering, and the news was about Lincoln's assassination.

Kane stayed in Danville for approximately four years! Yet he called his tobacco business "Roanoke Tobacco." He lied about being in Danville and did not want his name associated with Danville. Kane had a wife, family, friends, and lucrative career waiting back in Baltimore. He would become sheriff and then Mayor upon his return. Why did Kane ride into Danville on a sudden, emergency basis and then not leave for over four years???

Yes, there were 5,000 people in Danville. But only one was called there on short notice to guard the boxcar and then the silver, and did not leave for four years. Everything Kane did and said points to him as being the sentinel for the Danville silver. And he did not leave until the silver had been safely removed and his mission finished.

Not fiction, Franklin. This is a very good educated guess backed up by documentation, Davis' papers, and Kane's own words.

View attachment 1369559

But still a guess. Also the Mexican Silver Dollars were not in a boxcar when President Jefferson Davis left Danville. The Mexican Silver was moved from the boxcar before April 6, 1865 and moved to the Ann Benedict House on Wilson Street. When the CSA Treasury moved south on April 6, 1865 William Deakins Nutt stayed behind and moved his quarters to the Ann Benedict House. William Deakins Nutt was the treasury officer in charge of guarding and protecting the Mexican Silver. On the night of April 8, 1865 the CSA Government placed their contingency plans into operation and William Deakins Nutt and John Ott were ordered to the Sutherlin Mansion and upon their oath of secrecy they two disposed of the Mexican Silver Dollars that night. You would not trust treasury assets to CSA Spy you would trust it with a treasury agent.

Also the statement about Henry County Courthouse is not correct. The Governor of Virginia made a memorial out of that skirmish. It was only an involvement of 7 men of General Stonemen's outfit which could have been General Wheeler's. But anyway they were scavaging for food and got into a fight about stealing chickens. A couple were wounded and one killed. Hardly a skirmish of over 600 of Wheeler's soldiers and they did not hold or even come close to Henry County Courthouse.

If 100 were killed at Henry County Court House where are their grave? Surely they would have made a memorial out of it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, it is absolutely a guess, but based on some solid evidence. Mssrs. Nutt and Ott may have "disposed" of the silver, but I doubt they stayed behind for four years to oversee the safekeeping of the 9,000 pounds of precious metal. That appears to be what Kane did after he provided security for the treasury officer and the silver's "disposal." Understand that by this time Kane was reporting directly to Jeff Davis, as the record of his telegram indicates, so he was very high up (and would later become Baltimore's mayor). Moving 9,000 pounds of silver at the time Union troops were descending upon Danville would not have been practical. It got buried. Then, with Danville being turned immediately into a Union rail hub, the silver had to remain buried until the heat was off. That is where Kane came in. If the silver is still there, it might be buried on or around the grounds of the Roanoke Tobacco Co. He did sell that to someone else before heading back to Baltimore. A possibility could be that the new company owner was also the new sentinel, and that Kane was being relieved of his post so he could return to Baltimore. Under that scenario, there's a chance the silver is still there. You are in and around Danville if I remember correctly? I would check land records to see who Kane sold the property to and where the tobacco business was located.

Meanwhile, I think you would enjoy my book. The 5,000 gold coins found in Baltimore belonged to the KGC, including a few of Kane's associates from before the war.

Jack

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, it is absolutely a guess, but based on some solid evidence. Mssrs. Nutt and Ott may have "disposed" of the silver, but I doubt they stayed behind for four years to oversee the safekeeping of the 9,000 pounds of precious metal. That appears to be what Kane did after he provided security for the treasury officer and the silver's "disposal." Understand that by this time Kane was reporting directly to Jeff Davis, as the record of his telegram indicates, so he was very high up (and would later become Baltimore's mayor). Moving 9,000 pounds of silver at the time Union troops were descending upon Danville would not have been practical. It got buried. Then, with Danville being turned immediately into a Union rail hub, the silver had to remain buried until the heat was off. That is where Kane came in. If the silver is still there, it might be buried on or around the grounds of the Roanoke Tobacco Co. He did sell that to someone else before heading back to Baltimore. A possibility could be that the new company owner was also the new sentinel, and that Kane was being relieved of his post so he could return to Baltimore. Under that scenario, there's a chance the silver is still there. You are in and around Danville if I remember correctly? I would check land records to see who Kane sold the property to and where the tobacco business was located.

Meanwhile, I think you would enjoy my book. The 5,000 gold coins found in Baltimore belonged to the KGC, including a few of Kane's associates from before the war.

Jack

No I do not need your book. I have quite enough of my own research. I have had others say that someone carried off the Mexican Silver Dollars but I know for a fact where they are and how many there are. A letter which you can obtain from the Virginia State University written from Willaim Deakins Nutt to Allencaster after the war contains these words, "A trust you have confided in me I have kept"

The Mexican Silver was never near the Roanoke Tobacco Warehouse. Another poster which I will leave nameless said that the University of Mass. came down in 1877 and carried off the Mexican Silver. Not true either. I have found where it was still there where buried on May 4th, 1882.

OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have done my work on the Baltimore KGC, and you have obviously done an enormous amount of work on the Danville silver hoard. I would love to see you recover the treasure. Just promise me I get first chance at writing the story if you need someone to do that!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
No I do not need your book. I have quite enough of my own research. I have had others say that someone carried off the Mexican Silver Dollars but I know for a fact where they are and how many there are. A letter which you can obtain from the Virginia State University written from Willaim Deakins Nutt to Allencaster after the war contains these words, "A trust you have confided in me I have kept"

The Mexican Silver was never near the Roanoke Tobacco Warehouse. Another poster which I will leave nameless said that the University of Mass. came down in 1877 and carried off the Mexican Silver. Not true either. I have found where it was still there where buried on May 4th, 1882.
Some of those Mexican silver dollars made it to Florida with CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin, CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge and Jefferson Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood.
500 of those were given to Lola Sanchez, CSA spy from Palatka by Benjamin while fleeing from the Union.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of those Mexican silver dollars made it to Florida with CSA Sec of State Judah P Benjamin, CSA Sec of War John C Breckinridge and Jefferson Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood.
500 of those were given to Lola Sanchez, CSA spy from Palatka by Benjamin while fleeing from the Union.

They would have had to get the silver Mexican Dollars somewhere around there off of someone local. 500 Mexican Silver Dollars would weigh about 35 pounds. It was much easier to carry gold coins around their waist as many of them did. $500 in gold would only weight about one pound and one half.

OP
OP
P

PhillyJack

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS, no doubt this is what happened to a small amount of the money. But 39 kegs of wrapped silver coins largely stayed in Danville. It weighed 9,000 pounds and was slowing down the train, causing a real risk of Union capture. Franklin is right in that the vast bulk of this treasure remained in Danville. The question is, did someone come back later to retrieve it, or is it still there?

Franklin says he knows where it is and has done his homework. My point is that George Kane from Baltimore, aka Colonel Kane from the Confederate Secret Service, also arrived in Danville on an emergency basis to meet the train in Danville and did not leave Danville for four years. And he later lied about his whereabouts . . . saying he was in North Carolina (Greensboro) when he really was in Danville. On the surface he very much appears to be hired security and/or a sentinel for the treasure. David Kheen, author of The Knights of the Golden Circle, has told me privately he believes Kane to be KGC as well, but has not proven that suspicion. Kane was involved with plans in 1861 to kill Lincoln in Baltimore, and was later privy to Booth's early (1864) plans to kidnap Lincoln and ransom the president in exchange for thousands of CSA prisoners. I can also say with confidence that Kane's group of associates in Baltimore also hid the 5,000 gold coins that were later found under the home of one of the Baltimore KGC members (he was likely the KGC recruiter, and collected the gold coin as dues and initiation fees). Baltimore, according to the KGC literature, had some 3,000 members.

PJ

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Breckinridge had a wagon that was off loaded at Black Creek(near Middleburg, Florida) onto Hubbard Hart's JAMES BURT riverboat that passed Union held Palatka and onto the Oklawaha River down to Silver Springs/Ocala.
Somewhere in North Florida, Wood and then Benjamin joined with Breckinridge before Black Creek.
It was in Ocala, that gold coins were sewn into their clothes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread