Communication in 1860

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got preoccupied with the presidential elections of the last week. I completely have ignored almost everything wife, dogs, cats, the garden, fishing. I even committed a mortal sin here in Deep East Texas by not going out the opening day of deer season. I sat for five days in front of the television set. Satellite television receiver programmed, split screen doing everything it could to bring me all the breaking news.

I wondered what the news gathering and distribution was like in 1860. Gathering news was much like it is today. The distribution is what is way different. Today news is delivered in nano seconds whereas in 1860 it took days. The telegraph sped things up but if you were in California in the gold fields it might be a week. The counting of the vote and tabulation was also a longer process. In Florida there were 5 million votes cast this year. That is as many vote that were cast in the 1860 presidential election. It took Florida approximately 4 hours to count and report the outcome. It was days in 1860 for that to happen.

We are lucky today to have such rapid communication. Where as in 1860 The people really had uncertainty about the election for days. Now what the Heck does this have to do with the KGC. Remember that Allan Pinkerton had to sneak Abraham Lincoln into Washington he was aided by poor communication of the day. Today I watched the plane of the presidential designate take off and land, his motorcade move along the streets of Washington D.C. Way different from 1860.

Senior Deacon

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
SD,
One of the many interesting things that J F Dalton talked about was how after the war the kgc had spots set up for intercepting telegraphs. This greatly fueled their Intel and aided them greatly in their endeavors. He is the only person who I have ever heard mention this... which is also noteworthy.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not sure what elh is getting at ???

I'd be careful about equating the kinds of achievements Hitler is notorious for with the hard work and studies of scientists who sought to improve the lives of millions through advancements in our understanding of the natural sciences and mechanical engineering.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why give HITLER the CREDIT, tho...?
For pressing for utilisation of technology perhaps.
Wars have generated developments that found later benefit to society,perhaps.
From medicine , to food preservation , microwave ovens ,ect.

Senior deacon, missing an opener? Ouch.
Let the train derail,openers aree high /red letter days not to be devalued by politics!
Communication was slower , soldiers fighting in more than one war after it ended.
Trusting your source,still remains a challenge today......

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If you watch the military channel on television you can see what all was going on during WW2 and also what was before WW2. Hitler was certainly notorious as
Ryano said, but that is not all. He was extremely evil, and possesed with evil spirits. he was working on a death ray to melt America down.
If you fellas are offended by the truth then so be it. Maybe I was off subject and if anyone looks at what I said as being off subject I be sorry.
If I knew how to delete my post I would be glad to. Can you tell me how to delete it Rebel?
No I don't... ask Mods.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I got preoccupied with the presidential elections of the last week. I completely have ignored almost everything wife, dogs, cats, the garden, fishing. I even committed a mortal sin here in Deep East Texas by not going out the opening day of deer season. I sat for five days in front of the television set. Satellite television receiver programmed, split screen doing everything it could to bring me all the breaking news.

I wondered what the news gathering and distribution was like in 1860. Gathering news was much like it is today. The distribution is what is way different. Today news is delivered in nano seconds whereas in 1860 it took days. The telegraph sped things up but if you were in California in the gold fields it might be a week. The counting of the vote and tabulation was also a longer process. In Florida there were 5 million votes cast this year. That is as many vote that were cast in the 1860 presidential election. It took Florida approximately 4 hours to count and report the outcome. It was days in 1860 for that to happen.

We are lucky today to have such rapid communication. Where as in 1860 The people really had uncertainty about the election for days. Now what the Heck does this have to do with the KGC. Remember that Allan Pinkerton had to sneak Abraham Lincoln into Washington he was aided by poor communication of the day. Today I watched the plane of the presidential designate take off and land, his motorcade move along the streets of Washington D.C. Way different from 1860.

Senior Deacon

The K.G.C. was well aware of the communications and export import efforts before there was a Civil War. They had a man on the inside from the ground floor up and he was a real "DAREDEVIL". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin_Ficklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you watch the military channel on television you can see what all was going on during WW2 and also what was before WW2. Hitler was certainly notorious as
Ryano said, but that is not all. He was extremely evil, and possesed with evil spirits. he was working on a death ray to melt America down.
If you fellas are offended by the truth then so be it. Maybe I was off subject and if anyone looks at what I said as being off subject I be sorry.
If I knew how to delete my post I would be glad to. Can you tell me how to delete it Rebel?

You can delete your post by going to "edit" it will ask you reason for deleting you do NOT have to answer just "check it" and then go down and hit "delete"

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ely no need to delete any post in a open forum it is to post that we may debate all subjects and opinions. We should not become politically correct. The truth never comes out that way. Be yea Rebel or Yankee it is a right to speak our minds.

As a side note both L.C. Baker and I were born, breed and raised in Iowa. He still lives there I moved south in to the lone star state and now have taken up the rebel cause. We still remain friends and brothers. This fraternity transcends race, creed, color, or location. Let us remember that we post for the common good of all regardless of anything else.

Senior Deacon

Last edited:

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ely no need to delete any post in a open forum it is to post that we may debate all subjects and opinions. We should not become politically correct. The truth never comes out that way. Be yea Rebel or Yankee it is a right to speak our minds.

As a side note both L.C. Baker and I were born, breed and raised in Iowa. He still lives there I moved south in to the lone star state and now have taken up the rebel cause. We still remain friends and brothers. This fraternity transcends race, creed, color, or location. Let us remember that we post for the common good of all regardless of anything else.

Senior Deacon
Thanks a million SD. Welcome to the South. I was born and raised in Alabama and still there. Took one trip to Japan and Korea in the US Army. Never spent time in any other States but too old now. Through the T-net I have friends from other states and love'em.
I did delete my post's but will not next time unless told to by the mods. I was born in 1933 and was only 11 years old in 1944 and would find a mudhole, place a chip of wood in it and then drop stones on the German submarines. Well, now I have the military channel on tv and I find it amazing (even though evil) what the Germans were capable of and what they were working on to eliminate the U. S. They had the smarts but Hitler would not listen to his Generals and it cost him the whole country. You know about that.
I do not intend to antagonize anyone with what I say about it so if the thin skinned show up again,( ooopss , thin skin too harsh? ) they can lump it.
Thanks again for your good information.
Ellis/ my wife's old goat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread