Major John Y. Rankin, C.S.A., KGC of Brownwood, Texas

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a repost of John Y. Rankin's great granddaughter's post, from several years ago, on our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery message board. I later met with Ruth and her mother (Rankin's granddaughter) when they came to Brownwood. This is one piece of solid evidence that helped me prove that Maj. Rankin was a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle and that the story of John Wilkes Booth living in Brownwood during the year of 1871 was true. John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of Abraham Lincoln, was a member of the KGC from as early as 1860. I'm attaching a photo of one of Booth's cabinet (calling) cards which is probably similar to the one Major Rankin had.

Ruth Lyle is a member of this group and is also the grgranddaughter of Maj. John Y. Rankin, CSA of Brownwood. Ruth posted this message several years ago after finding Booth's photo calling card among her grgrandfather's possessions.

~Jay~

"As I go through the writings of John Y Rankin I will gladly share
information. If anyone has a particular name (I know I will be
looking for Anderson) please let me know so that I will keep my eyes
open for it.

Also I noticed information on John Wilkes Booth - there is a picture
(calling card) among John Y's papers of Booth. I wondered about it at
the time I found it. What information does anyone have on his living
in Brownwood?
Ruth"

~Texas Jay

Attachments

• JohnWilkesBooth-cabinetcard-1863-2.JPG
    JohnWilkesBooth-cabinetcard-1863-2.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 315
  • MajJohnYRankinCSA1.jpg
    MajJohnYRankinCSA1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 300
  • MajJohnYRankin3.jpg
    MajJohnYRankin3.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 302
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a local History Research/KGC Treasure Hunting Apprentice!

I just posted this brief announcement on my Facebook page and on two local Brown County Facebook sites so wish me luck in my search. I really want to find someone in my area who has the characteristics I require so that I can teach them the basics about our work here and about treasure hunting so that we can hopefully resume the field and recovery work that Colin and I started years ago. I'm not desperate but I'm sure determined. :)

I'm getting serious in my search to find a history research/Knights of the Golden Circle treasure hunting apprentice. Finding the right local person is not going to be easy but the years keep slipping by much too quickly. My late partner Colin Eby passed away in 2011 from ALS. When he got sick, we had at least 10 years of treasure hunting work ahead of us so the work has been at a standstill ever since. http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com

~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Rebel. The search is still going. If people only realized how much fun that solving these mysteries are, I'd have a dozen qualified applicants by now.
~Texas Jay

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you don't have a dozen qualified applicants already! If I were closer I would apply, but not sure I'd meet your requirements.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Miboje. Since my search for an apprentice/partner is limited to local people, because the extreme secrecy of our work requires regularly meeting in person, it's very difficult to find qualified people in this area. Most locals are completely ignorant about our national and Texas history so my offer is not attractive to them. I suppose it's the same wherever one lives because young people, and even older people, have lost their appreciation of history and just readily swallow the lies and myths they were taught in school.
~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

Home - William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay, I know what you are going through. I too have been actively seeking out an apprentice. My partner is a Vietnam Veteran and has health issues. What we have found and uncovered will be lost just like the sentinels of the KGC and their treasures lost to the pages of time.

My partner and I uncovered evidence of huge golden vaults of treasures. Trying to recover them is at a standstill for the past six going on seven years. It seems we found it but we can do nothing to recover them. And I fear without an apprentice to reveal all of this to the work of over one hundred combined years of my partner and I will be for nothing.

I read the newspapers and the Internet daily searching for this worthy apprentice. So far no luck. Good luck to you and I appreciate your efforts and I enjoy your web pages.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Franklin. I was struck by the many similarities between my situation and yours. My late partner and I spent thousands of hours in the field, traveling to places we needed to go to in order to retrieve important information and documents, and doing online research. I have the same fear about all of this work becoming lost when my time comes to leave it behind. In addition to our treasure work, our educational work about the Knights of the Golden Circle is equally if not more important to future generations. Without knowing about the KGC and the important role the organization played in our pre-war, wartime, and post-war periods, they can never be expected to know the truth about our history. Here's a letter that Maj. Rankin wrote to Confederate Veterans Magazine in 1899. JohnYRankinletter.jpg

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another photo of Major John Young Rankin, CSA, KGC at an older age. I'm still seeking a young, local history research and treasure hunting apprentice who, after successfully completing his apprenticeship, will become my partner and share equally in all treasure finds we make.
~Texas Jay

John Young Rankin1.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Franklin. I was struck by the many similarities between my situation and yours. My late partner and I spent thousands of hours in the field, traveling to places we needed to go to in order to retrieve important information and documents, and doing online research. I have the same fear about all of this work becoming lost when my time comes to leave it behind. In addition to our treasure work, our educational work about the Knights of the Golden Circle is equally if not more important to future generations. Without knowing about the KGC and the important role the organization played in our pre-war, wartime, and post-war periods, they can never be expected to know the truth about our history. Here's a letter that Maj. Rankin wrote to Confederate Veterans Magazine in 1899. View attachment 1484787

Texas Jay, With our combined research, studies and findings, and with the help of a group of members or a rich investor, we could start up a KGC Museum. This museum would store and reveal research and information to the public. But information of treasures or their where-a-bouts could be kept for members or stockholders. What do you think.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay, With our combined research, studies and findings, and with the help of a group of members or a rich investor, we could start up a KGC Museum. This museum would store and reveal research and information to the public. But information of treasures or their where-a-bouts could be kept for members or stockholders. What do you think.

I really like that idea, Franklin. It would be quite a huge undertaking though. Heck, I spent hours, this afternoon, looking through my own files for a small and important piece of detailed information that I found several years ago and I haven't found it yet! ha. All the more reason I need to find a capable apprentice a.s.a.p.
~Texas Jay

AuthenticExposititionoftheKGC.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that idea, Franklin. It would be quite a huge undertaking though. Heck, I spent hours, this afternoon, looking through my own files for a small and important piece of detailed information that I found several years ago and I haven't found it yet! ha. All the more reason I need to find a capable apprentice a.s.a.p.
~Texas Jay

View attachment 1521779

I know what you mean. I have searched through some of my research three times or more taking months some years and I still can not find what I know I have. We both need apprentices with secretarial skills.

Wm the Conqueror

Mar 9, 2017
Danville Virginia
Detector(s) used
Only a pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Jay, i will be glad to help you anyway i can! I'm not bragging, but i can tell you everything you would like to know! I am a scholar! I do live in Virginia though! I am a clandestine freemason! Please send me an email address! master of the craft with immovable wisdom!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I have read A LOT of ALL your posts. And I still am a newbie. I MEAN A LOT OF YOUR POSTS...pages upon pages.... funny Texas Jay I have that picture as my wallpaper...lol

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi lairmo. I'm flattered that you've taken so much time to read my posts on TNet. Sometimes, I forget about the large number of posts I've made on here over many years of being a member. I've gone many months at a time without checking in here but I find myself wanting to spend more and more time on this site, lately, because I'm fascinated by the combined knowledge of the members and my treasure hunting horizons are constantly expanding as a result of corresponding with others.
~Texas Jay

KGC-Brownwood.jpg

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno, THAT looks like a CATHOLIC Secret Society; a "POPE"...?

Nope, it's a gathering of our local Knights Templar Masons. It was taken sometime between 1880 and 1910. The man with his hat off is Brownwood banker and KGC leader Henry Ford. Henry Ford was a Presbyterian.
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread