Pot of "Bloody Bill" Anderson's Gold Found at Yancey Inn - 1912

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that strange. Cole Younger visiting William C. Anderson in 1907 you say? And " came away convinced that Brown County's Bill Anderson was the one and only Bill Anderson of Quantrill's Guerrillas that he'd served with during the Civil War ". Hmm.

Especially strange in view of his well documented visit to Richmond, MO in 1908, where he arranged an elaborate belated funeral for William T. Anderson, under whom he had served as a soldier, and had " known and loved ".

It was reported by the Richmond Missourian, Thursday June 11, 1908.....

“YOUNGER HERE. Cole Younger And Jim Cummins Meet Here — The Cole Younger Carnival In Full Blast! Shows to Run All Of The Week. Under Auspicies Of The Red Men. The Cole Younger Shows, under the personal charge of Col. Lew Nichols and Cole Younger, arrived here Sunday afternoon. The seven or eight cars were loaded with tents and paraphernalia and crowded with show mysteries. Three private sleeping cars housed the show folks.
“Early Monday the tents began to “go up” around the Square and in the Stone lot. Monday night the attractions were in full blast. On Monday afternoon however, the first event of the week occurred. When the cars of the Greater Nichols Amusement Company rolled into town, and Cole Younger knew that he had reached Richmond, he helped to put into execution a resolve that he had doubtless formulated long ago — to help decorate the grave of his friend and loyal companion in arms — Capt. Bill Anderson. A remarkable coincidence was the fact that Jim Cummins, another old comrade and soldier was here. Jim Cummins was better acquainted here and managed the details of the joint tribute of respect for other days.
“Monday afternoon, the band of the amusement company struck up a funeral march and with the solemn tread bowed heads, Cole Younger, Jim Cummins, representatives of the amusement company and others made their way to the old cemetery north of town. The grave had already been beautifully decorated with flowers.
“Arriving at the old cemetery, the crowd gathered around Cole Younger while he, in a reminiscent yet with a reverent way, addressed them in a few short sentences.
“He said that as a soldier, prior to 1863, he had known and served with Capt. Bill Anderson as a solider, that he was a fearless man, standing back for nothing in the performance of his duty as he conceived it. As such, Mr. Younger said he knew and loved him. He (Mr. Younger), knew personally nothing of his work in 1864 north of the river — but that up to that time he was a conscientious man and a brave soldier.
“Mr. Younger was followed by Honorable James L. Farris, son of the late Captain J.L. Farris of the Confederate Army. He spoke for some 20 minutes, paying high tribute to the power of endurance, courage and daring of the dead soldier. In a masterly way, he drew attention to the fact that the war had not been in vain; that the conditions and circumstances of the time of Capt. Bill Anderson demanded just such a man as he; that if he went to extremes, it was because it was the inevitable and necessary result of war — which Sherman properly and aptly called ‘Hell.’
“He saw it that it was time to cover the dust of the hero with the flowers of affection and honor. To conclude, Cole Younger cleared up a misunderstanding. He made it plain that at the time of his death Capt. Bill Anderson was acting under orders direct from General Sterling Price. That he had heard for some years before he knew it. In 1866 he said that he stayed all night at the home of Governor King here in Ray County. Governor King told Mr. Younger that he recognized the handwriting of General McClain in the order found in Captain Bill Anderson’s pockets. General McClain was an Adjutant of General Price.
“In the calm light of history, the deeds done by Anderson do not meet the same sort of condemnation that the hasty judgment of a strenuous and perilous time accorded him. At the conclusion of the exercises, ‘taps’ was sounded and the company withdrew.”
“Capt. Bill Anderson was killed in November 1864 and his body brought to Richmond for burial. He was killed at a crossroads fight near Albany, about a mile and a half north of Orrick, this county.”
The rest of the article tells about the acts that were part of the carnival show. It was called “the cleanest street fair” that was ever seen in Richmond. The balloon ascension was thrilling in the extreme as Lucy May Colton, the “aeronautess” had nerve to burn when she jumped from the clouds and came down head first in a way that thrilled and chilled the old timers.
The Great Colton did a 85-foot jump from the top of a ladder in the courthouse yard and landed in a net.
The final paragraph summed it up as follows: “The Red Man managed the shows well and deserves more money than they got out of it. The wet weather and the flooded river kept business away. But the Red Man made friends with their politeness and square dealing. The Missourian expects crowds here for the remainder of the shows, which close on Saturday night.”

https://www.richmond-dailynews.com/...ounger-saw-to-proper-funeral-for-bloody-bill/

Now... why would Cole Younger go to such lengths to make sure William T. Anderson, in Richmond, Missouri had such an elaborate, proper funeral...if he believed William C. Anderson of Brown County, Texas was really the Bloody Bill he had served with in the Civil War?

Makes no sense, TJ.

Me thinks you're getting a little windy now, Snooker.

Ya see, you're assuming a postcard photo of Cole's carnival appearance in Brady, TX must be proof that Cole actually visited William C., and claimed he was the real Bloody Bill. You do know what happens when you Assume...right?

Where is your documentation that Cole Younger did in fact visit William C. in Brown County, TX? Where is your documentation that Cole Younger did indeed identify William C. as the Bloody Bill he had served with in the Civil War? Where are these " historical accounts "? Let me guess....someone wrote it in a dime novel...or worse, on a pulp fiction site...or you heard someone say it on a forum.... and it fit your theory so you accepted it as gospel, without doing your due diligence.

Confirmation Bias is a difficult thing to discipline yourself against, but it can be done. Wishful thinking is not documentation, ambiguous evidence made to fit your theory is not documentation. How are you ever going to arrive at the TRUTH....if everything has to fit your preconceived notions?

Tell the REAL story....stop CREATING your own story out of bits and pieces of unrelated, unverifiable excerpts and assumptions. No One is ever going to take your theory seriously until you do.

Credibility rests on a foundation of Real Documentation. Demonstrable Facts. Not straws grasped in desperation to prove a point.

Demonstrable Facts.

Like the fact that the family of William C. Anderson deny any relationship to Bloody Bill Anderson, and have Two Separate DNA Analysis to Prove it.

IMG_20180114_203737.jpg IMG_20180114_203714.jpg

Again, where is your documentation that Cole Younger did in fact visit William C. in Brown County, TX? Where is your Documentation that Cole Younger did indeed identify William C. as the Bloody Bill he had served with in the Civil War? Where are these " historical accounts "?

:dontknow:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff TJ! We know the truth and those who lived by the code protected each other long after the war.

What "Code"?

Are you insinuating that the elaborate funeral held for William T. Anderson in Richmond, MO was an attempt by Cole Younger to protect William C. Anderson, who TJ is claiming was actually the "real " Bloody Bill? ???

I see. He must have been trying to protect him from himself then, as William C. Anderson, himself, was the only one making the claim at the time. :icon_scratch:

:dontknow:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_study:

TexasJay, have you ever heard the phrase. "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"?

In your own words......

okie, it's easy to claim someone said this or said that but, when you do that, you need to back it up with something besides your own words like an affidavit, letter, or book.
~Texas Jay

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/kgc/64774-jesses-possible-role-kgc-2.html#post1694277

Yet all we get is.........crickets.... ???

" In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence. "

— Copi,*Introduction to Logic*(1953), p. 95

:coffee2:

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
So d.... I guess you have absolute proof Jesse was killed by Bob Ford, and absolute proof Quantrill died in a union hospital, and absolute proof that Bill was gunned down by union shoulders? You know, proof like DNA or undeniable forensic evidence? If you have that then go ahead and present it d. If you demand it of us, isnt it fair that we ask for it in return? The truth is we have spent many years in the field...and we know... what we know. Peace.

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
LC, just as a side note, some of these men really did just try to live normal lives after the war. They would house comrades and keep to themselves. Oh and did I mention keep an eye on very important locations...I bring this up because it's a trend. Just sayin...
TJ, I have a couple interesting turkey tracks I would like you to see... might just pm.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So d.... I guess you have absolute proof Jesse was killed by Bob Ford, and absolute proof Quantrill died in a union hospital, and absolute proof that Bill was gunned down by union shoulders? You know, proof like DNA or undeniable forensic evidence? If you have that then go ahead and present it d. If you demand it of us, isnt it fair that we ask for it in return? The truth is we have spent many years in the field...and we know... what we know. Peace.

Mr. Tinhorn, in normal circumstances I would say thank you for that. But in all good conscience I cannot, because it's painfully obvious that you do not realize your argument only supports my premise.

Unfortunately, you are operating from a position of false equivalence... describing a situation of logical and apparent equivalence, when in fact there is none. I have made no such statements. While your argument may in itself be valid, it does not address the issue in question, which is the statements presented by TexasJay as Fact. This makes your conclusion irrelevant.

" Onus probandi*– from Latin "onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat" the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim, not on the person who denies (or questions the claim). It is a particular case of the*argumentum ad ignorantiam*fallacy, here the burden is shifted on the person defending against the assertion. Also known as*shifting the burden of proof."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

And while I appreciate your confidence in making the statement "We know what we know", in actuality it does nothing to elevate your position or substantiate your claims. We All know what we know. But when we make statements as Fact, we must be prepared to "back it up with something besides your own words" in order to validate them. Otherwise, it's only opinion.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOPE, already a Para-Legal... your use of Latin "Mumbo-Jumbo" is questionable; you targeting TJ...? I think he is a fine guy (IMO). Or are you just "targeting" "Treasure" Stories or "what-ever"...?

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOPE, Already a Para-Legal... Your use of Latin "Mumbo-Jumbo" is questionable; you targeting TJ...? I think he is a fine guy (IMO). Or are you just "targeting" "Treasure" Stories or "what-ever"...?

Good on ya, Reb! Keep up your studies, ain't that hard. Anybody and their step neighbor-in-law can hang a shingle nowadays. :thumbsup:

Don't blame me for the Latin...blame Wiki. Was a quote....see the "quotation" marks? :wink:

Targeting TexasJay? Not any more than TexasJay was targeting Okie with his comment I quoted above. :dontknow:

What I WAS pinpointing was the lack of evidence to support his CLAIM. Pretty simple, even for a para legal.

As for targets....you might want to adjust your sights. Your aim is a bit off. Keep trying, you'll get there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJ, you need to stop posting links to your mystery group, because it allows comments it funtions like a forum and violates our rules.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJ, you need to stop posting links to your mystery group, because it allows comments it funtions like a forum and violates our rules.

Will do.
~Texas Jay

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions