Weights

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what kind of scale these weights would be from and what year?
I found the larger just under the surface laying flat and the smaller 133 inches underground set up vertically, anchored by a shovelful of white mortar. A 20 gr. 44-40 bullet had been shot through the center hole and was found lodged in a nearby piece of wood. Yes, I took meticulous notes of angles, compass headings Weight,large.jpg Weight sm.jpg , etc.

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are weights, should have some type of casting mark (maker, or increment).

Last edited:

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you have me thinking more about this.

What peaks my interest more, than what the objects are, is your statement of finding the second "weight" positioned vertically, set in mortar, at 133 inches! Was this second weight 11 feet directly below the first? If so, how did you determine the second weight's existence?
What made you / told you to go another 11 feet deeper?

Last edited:
OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The objects were 100 feet apart. I found the first, largest, 30 years ago in the corner of a room.
The second was 1 chain north of the big key(from an earlier post) and directly under this piece of glass.

I knew of the small weights existence when the shovel went "clink". A beautiful sound to those who wield shovels.
As to why? well.........I was drawn. And I like the sound of "clink".

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I was thinking one on top of the other. Thanks for the clarification. Very interesting for sure.

Seems now the weight found in the corner of a room 30 years ago was a map piece. So the "room" was a map! Thus the glass fragment found confirming that same corner of the room, with its maker's mark of a "square" or "diamond" with a "K" the 11th letter in the alphabet! How cool is that! And 11 feet down you found confirmation of second weight, clink! Bravo!

One corner found. Please continue!

Last edited:

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Heart what happened to the pic of the very interesting piece of glass??

I don't want your thread to die, I find this very interesting. Please continue with your findings!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know what kind of scale these weights would be from and what year?
I found the larger just under the surface laying flat and the smaller 133 inches underground set up vertically, anchored by a shovelful of white mortar. A 20 gr. 44-40 bullet had been shot through the center hole and was found lodged in a nearby piece of wood. Yes, I took meticulous notes of angles, compass headings View attachment 1511769 View attachment 1511770 , etc.

Hi White Heart...

Im just curious as how you know it was a 20gr. load in the 44-40 brass?

Thanks WH!
Kace

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are weights, should have some type of casting mark (maker, or increment).
Gates, I inspected the larger one, which is in the best condition and found no markings. I will dig them out of a box in the basement and weigh them. The smaller one has pretty well disintegrated by now.

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullet .jpg
Hi White Heart...

Thanks WH!
Kace

I found the bullet, weighed it and based on the grooves around it I made that assumption. Although I am no firearms expert, I only own three.
Here it is:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1520020

I found the bullet, weighed it and based on the grooves around it I made that assumption. Although I am no firearms expert, I only own three.
Here it is:

I'm Sorry, I'm not sure what the long rusty thing is in your pic above the slug...

Where did you find the slug and the rusty thing on the left top in your pic?

Did you find a casing that you used to determine that was a 44-40cal?

What are the weights? Made out of?

Thanks WH...I'm just trying to understand this.

Kace

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi White Heart...

Thanks WH!
Kace
It comes from being old and not remembering correctly. It seems to be a 200gr( 13g) bullet, with a diameter of .427in.

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Sorry, I'm not sure what the long rusty thing is in your pic above the slug...

Where did you find the slug and the rusty thing on the left top in your pic?

Did you find a casing that you used to determine that was a 44-40cal?

What are the weights? Made out of?

Thanks WH...I'm just trying to understand this.

Kace

The weights are iron,
I did not find the case, but by diameter , weight and the rings(grooves) around the bullet; seems to be the 44-40 is the only bullet that matches.

I found it shot into the edge of a 1-1/4 inch thick yellow pine board which was located under and 11 foot tall stone wall. After finding the small weight firmly mounted on mortar, the next day I got the idea that maybe a bullet was shot through the hole in the weight. The material under all of this was fine yellow sand, so it was easy to reach gently under the board and using my fingers chewed into the rotten wood about 4 inches into the board, and out fell the bullet....
I know it was yellow pine,because although the majority of the board was black and rotten, there was at 2 inch diameter knot that was still yellow and when I broke it in half, it smelled of pine.

The rusty thing is a nail which like the weight suffered from being in a caustic environment and became severely corroded.

I hope that helps, I too am trying to figure this out.

WH

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weights are iron,
I did not find the case, but by diameter , weight and the rings(grooves) around the bullet; seems to be the 44-40 is the only bullet that matches.

I found it shot into the edge of a 1-1/4 inch thick yellow pine board which was located under and 11 foot tall stone wall. After finding the small weight firmly mounted on mortar, the next day I got the idea that maybe a bullet was shot through the hole in the weight. The material under all of this was fine yellow sand, so it was easy to reach gently under the board and using my fingers chewed into the rotten wood about 4 inches into the board, and out fell the bullet....
I know it was yellow pine,because although the majority of the board was black and rotten, there was at 2 inch diameter knot that was still yellow and when I broke it in half, it smelled of pine.

The rusty thing is a nail which like the weight suffered from being in a caustic environment and became severely corroded.

I hope that helps, I too am trying to figure this out.

WH

Seems like another instruction, go in the direction of the bullet?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks WH...I think I got it...

The grooves you are talking about are rifling grooves...That's caused when a bullet slug travels in a spiral pattern out of a gun barrel. That's to keep it going straight instead of tumbling out. Every rifle or handgun barrel is unique in its rifling...like fingerprints.

That slug doesn't look like it hit anything hard, like iron and then knotty pine in a non-deteriorating state. If the wood was rotten when the slug hit it and only it, then it could appear undamaged. When a lead slug, hits something hard,like iron it expands. Entrance areas are small, exit areas are large due to expansion of the lead slug.

It sounds like you have a unique situation there. I'm curious to see what else is found!

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread