Knights of the Golden Circle links to Tabor, Iowa

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I will start this thread with a simple photo to stir the blood and encourage the inquisitive. Before finding this man the first time I looked for him I was informed there were NO Negroes buried in this cemetery. I was discouraged, but I never gave up looking for him. After searching all of the surrounding cemeteries I ignored what I had been told, as there is no official books for interment dating back that far, and I went row by row until I found Mr. Williams resting at his family plot. The records of his past are just about as sparse as Reuben Williams public memorial.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15041207/reuben-williams

Rube Williams.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
No History of the Nebraska City News Press is offered on wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_City_News-Press
or on their website. Historical society published map of Civil Bend - Historical society published map of Civil Bend - News ...and this map they published would make you think that they should have known about Civil Bend and what happened there a long time before 1936 when they published the map.

What the historians knew about the history of the paper or at least what they wrote is published here Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska - Otoe Co. Part 7

nuckolls.jpg Morton Hand.jpg

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I will start this thread with a simple photo to stir the blood and encourage the inquisitive. Before finding this man the first time I looked for him I was informed there were NO Negroes buried in this cemetery. I was discouraged, but I never gave up looking for him. After searching all of the surrounding cemeteries I ignored what I had been told, as there is no official books for interment dating back that far, and I went row by row until I found Mr. Williams resting at his family plot. The records of his past are just about as sparse as Reuben Williams public memorial.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15041207/reuben-williams

View attachment 1528089

Are you trying to find information on Mr RS Williams and family?

Good on You to not believe all of those burial site stories!

Kace

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you trying to find information on Mr RS Williams and family?

Good on You to not believe all of those burial site stories!

Kace

I spent months on Mr. Williams to find the truth in the field and in the archives. He was a victim of S.F. Nuckolls in 1860. There is litigation and a trial that took place, but that is not where the situation or the story ended. The K.G.C. was very vindictive.

L.C.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent months on Mr. Williams to find the truth in the field and in the archives. He was a victim of S.F. Nuckolls in 1860. There is litigation and a trial that took place, but that is not where the situation or the story ended. The K.G.C. was very vindictive.

L.C.

Did it go back to Connecticut?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay...You've got my attention! His father and family close by.. I'm ready to hear all of this!

Kace

Well, as in any history that contains litigation you will find several different accounts by different people but I find that if you look for the court records, minutes, fines paid etc, a person can find the truth of what had to have happened.

L.C.

From the "Public" hand of Julius Sterling Morton https://books.google.com/books?id=4...v=onepage&q=S.F. Nuckolls vs Williams&f=false

Fremont county account based on Fremont county records https://books.google.com/books?id=8...v=onepage&q=S.F. Nuckolls vs Williams&f=false

books with stories that have some good facts and research included https://books.google.com/books?id=8...v=onepage&q=S.F. Nuckolls vs Williams&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=O...v=onepage&q=S.F. Nuckolls vs Williams&f=false

This one is excellent and has a lot of good research done for you, all you have to do is read it. https://books.google.com/books?id=w...A#v=onepage&q=The Roses S.F. Nuckolls&f=false

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It was the beginning of a case that swept the Nation in 1860, and the implications were every bit as big as the Dred Scott decision. It was swept under the rug in 1861 at the outbreak of the Civil War. Washington was well aware of it and President Buchanan spoke on the issue in favor of S.F. Nuckolls and the "bloodhound" law that was not enforced in Chicago. He was crushed by the press for it and his friends said it was do to his illness. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hotel_disease) that he was not in his right mind.

L.C.

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Gee L.C.. Members of Congress die after staying at the same Hotel? Were they important? Did someone "take out" the competition? Don't doubt KGC might be in Iowa/Neb.Terr.. Price's raid into Missouri was so those in Northern Missouri and Iowa would rise up and join him. He was Mexican War hero and former Governor. There are some writings about OAK coming to him in Arkansas and putting pressure on him to make the raid. Good luck.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee L.C.. Members of Congress die after staying at the same Hotel? Were they important? Did someone "take out" the competition? Don't doubt KGC might be in Iowa/Neb.Terr.. Price's raid into Missouri was so those in Northern Missouri and Iowa would rise up and join him. He was Mexican War hero and former Governor. There are some writings about OAK coming to him in Arkansas and putting pressure on him to make the raid. Good luck.

Well Sir, I would like to say I do have an opinion on that very line of questioning! Starting in the middle here, but you can go backwards and forwards from there!:icon_thumright:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/k...o-kill-radical-republicans-7.html#post5004180

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks L.C.. So Pinkerton was involved? That ol' boy have a brother William? I've got a story about the Roscoe,MO. shootout. The guy who shot/killed John Younger was a Pinkerton detective named Capt.Louis J. Lull, Union Officer and Chicago,Il. policeman. Shot with a shotgun by John Younger, he lay dying in a hotel nearby for 23 days. His wife and a Wm. Pinkerton came to stay with him. After death, was loaded into a coffin, placed in farm wagon, driven 25 miles to the nearest railroad at Clinton,MO. where he was loaded on a baggage car and taken back to a Masonic funeral and burial in Chicago,Il.. I've seen where he was "probably" buried in Chicago and another about in Vermont. One story was the Doctor who declared him dead "might have made a mistake." The Youngers had said he would never leave the country so they had to fake his death. The James-Youngers had shamed the Pinks just a bit and that was why they were after them, Right?

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks L.C.. So Pinkerton was involved? That ol' boy have a brother William? I've got a story about the Roscoe,MO. shootout. The guy who shot/killed John Younger was a Pinkerton detective named Capt.Louis J. Lull, Union Officer and Chicago,Il. policeman. Shot with a shotgun by John Younger, he lay dying in a hotel nearby for 23 days. His wife and a Wm. Pinkerton came to stay with him. After death, was loaded into a coffin, placed in farm wagon, driven 25 miles to the nearest railroad at Clinton,MO. where he was loaded on a baggage car and taken back to a Masonic funeral and burial in Chicago,Il.. I've seen where he was "probably" buried in Chicago and another about in Vermont. One story was the Doctor who declared him dead "might have made a mistake." The Youngers had said he would never leave the country so they had to fake his death. The James-Youngers had shamed the Pinks just a bit and that was why they were after them, Right?

There was some bad blood for sure, but it started long before Jesse's brother was killed and his Mother injured by them. The letter that was found in the jar at the K.G.C. compass point in Wyuka was dated 1904 and signed by B.L. Few Desk Srg. Pinkerton Detective Agency. Although B.L. Few was a fake name that represented B.L.F. it was obvious that the O.A.K. harbored the same discontent for the Pinkerton agency as their K.G.C. forefathers.

L.C.

Last edited:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. Maybe it started when Lincoln was smuggled into Washington D.C. Then one has to pose the question of when the first assassination was to take place and who was behind it? Next question is how deep was the KGC involved in northwest Missouri, southeast Nebraska, and southwest Iowa? Not only had southern Iowa had union/confederate conflicts but also maybe the Mormons moving across the state added fuel to the flames.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" Mormonism & Freemasonry; then... The Masonic Roots of Joseph Smith & Mormonism, dunno.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel and others Yesterday's post was speculation so I went and did some research on the subject. I did find that there was a lot of animosity toward the Mormons. They traveled across the southern part of Iowa to a winter camps on both sides of the Missouri River. There were also Mormons settlements in Mount Ayr and Lamoni. Tabor was a hot bed of abolitionist activities and a stop on the underground railroad. It was a training camp for John Brown and company until he started to murder farmers and slave owners in Missouri. After that he became persona non grata in the town of Tabor.

I find it easy to believe that with this activity in Tabor the southern sympathizers would naturally turned to a organized group like the KGC to defend their ideas if not their property from the abolitionist and Mormons. With rich bankers and large land owners in Nebraska City just across the river with southern sympathies and a larger community it was a natural place for the KGC to set up shop.

I did not know of the underground railroad or the abolitionist activities in Tabor. Want a good read there a couple of good books on the subject. Along with the online writing of the Iowa historical society. Looks like L.C. is on the right course. Colored man in a white only cemetery? Only in abolitionist Tabor Iowa at the time it could and did take place. A slap in the face for Nebraska City's KGC and Mr Nicholls.

At this point maybe we should be looking for Beecher's Bibles.

Senior Deacon

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel and others Yesterday's post was speculation so I went and did some research on the subject. I did find that there was a lot of animosity toward the Mormons. They traveled across the southern part of Iowa to a winter camps on both sides of the Missouri River. There were also Mormons settlements in Mount Ayr and Lamoni. Tabor was a hot bed of abolitionist activities and a stop on the underground railroad. It was a training camp for John Brown and company until he started to murder farmers and slave owners in Missouri. After that he became persona non grata in the town of Tabor.

I find it easy to believe that with this activity in Tabor the southern sympathizers would naturally turned to a organized group like the KGC to defend their ideas if not their property from the abolitionist and Mormons. With rich bankers and large land owners in Nebraska City just across the river with southern sympathies and a larger community it was a natural place for the KGC to set up shop.

I did not know of the underground railroad or the abolitionist activities in Tabor. Want a good read there a couple of good books on the subject. Along with the online writing of the Iowa historical society. Looks like L.C. is on the right course. Colored man in a white only cemetery? Only in abolitionist Tabor Iowa at the time it could and did take place. A slap in the face for Nebraska City's KGC and Mr Nicholls.

Senior Deacon

Slap in the face...interesting. This poses a question...Did wealthy white men, back then, more than likely remove that man from his grave?
Dispose of his body and steal his cemetery plot for something else to be interred in his vault? Do we really know? That just gave me goosebumps...WILL I AM

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

Senior Deacon

Funny you should mention the Mormons, I was just reading of how significant they were in Davies County Missouri. If you wonder what kind of land Logan Enyart owned 1000 acres of before the Civil War, you only have to look to Joseph Smith's claim when he first arrived there! "According to Latter Day Saint movement founder Joseph Smith, Adam-ondi-Ahman, situated in the central part of the county, was where Adam and Eve relocated after being banished from the Garden of Eden. According to LDS tradition, the site is to be a gathering spot prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

Joseph Smith's revelation came in 1838, two years after the county was organized, and spurred in an influx of Mormon settlers. Non-Mormon residents feared they were going to lose control of the county and attempted to prevent Mormons from voting in the Gallatin election day battle. This was to be the first skirmish in the Mormon War. Later, the Mormons burned and sacked Gallatin, Grindstone Fork, Millport and other smaller settlements. The plundered goods were deposited in the Bishop's storehouse at Diahman. Millport, which at the time was the largest city in the county and the center for trade, never recovered, and became a ghost town. Missouri evicted the Mormons after arresting Joseph Smith and other leaders of the church." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daviess_County,_Missouri

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread