The Square Round Table

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following L. C.'s post, this below is a portion of what I found::
The organization was founded in 1890 in Omaha, Nebraska, by Joseph Cullen Root. Root, who was a member of several fraternal organizations including the Freemasons, ::
Too much to copy and paste, BUT, very interesting reading on a rainy day.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think it might pay to check out those cemetery's?

You never know I guess, but I have seen many oak monuments and only a few were used and none of those were W.O.W. stones. But that is just me and the trails we have been working. Others may know about something that I don't.

L.C.

P.S. A day spent in a cemetery is a day well spent no matter what brought you there. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Following L. C.'s post, this below is a portion of what I found::
The organization was founded in 1890 in Omaha, Nebraska, by Joseph Cullen Root. Root, who was a member of several fraternal organizations including the Freemasons, ::
Too much to copy and paste, BUT, very interesting reading on a rainy day.

I am always telling you guys that the O.A.K. had many "roots". LOL! Did you get to the part where it told about W.O.W. being started in a hotel in Omaha? The hotel was the Paxton. Everyone that was anyone stayed there back in the day, including Teddy himself. The reason I mention it is because of the fella that it was named after. He gave them 5,000 to add another floor. He came up in some other studies I did, but couldn't nail it down. Some of these guys were just lucky and made it big in the West. For some others,,,,, it seems to come too easy and they shut out the competition and buy it up with seemingly bottomless pockets. There was a man back then in the 1890's or so that could see what was happening and who was doing it. His name is Henry George and he wrote a book about it called Progress and Poverty. I have only read parts of it, but enough to know he was pointing his finger at some of the men in the same group of fellows I have been looking at.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moajrnl/ahj1472.1-01.004/293:1?rgn=full+text;view=image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_George#Death_and_funeral

George's first article in support of the secret ballot was entitled "Bribery in Elections" and was published in the Overland Review of December 1871. His second article was "Money in Elections," published in the North American Review of March 1883.

The thing I find most fascinating is that in 1886 Henry George ran for mayor of New York against Teddy Roosevelt in an election much like the last one we went through in this country for president. People crawled out of the woodwork to vote and flooded the poles unexpectedly. The election was won by Tammany Hall candidate Abram Stevens Hewitt by what many of George's supporters believed was fraud. :icon_scratch:

Henry_George.jpg

P.S. George campaigned for New York City mayor again in 1897, this time as an Independent Democrat. The strain of the campaign precipitated a second stroke, leading to his death four days before the election.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Some were a little more radical than Henry George, but they both claimed they stood on the same ground against a common enemy of the working class people.

"In the weeks that followed, his social awkwardness, his evasiveness, and his blunt inquiries about secret societies "

"His last words were: "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people – the good working people."

Is it just me, or does this seem a bit overboard? Spiteful even? Trying to make an example of him to discourage anyone else? "The body was buried on prison grounds following the autopsy. Prison authorities had planned to enter the body with quicklime to hasten its decomposition but decided otherwise after testing quicklime on a sample of meat. After determining that they were not legally limited to the use of quicklime for the process, they poured sulfuric acid into Czolgosz's coffin so that his body would be completely disfigured. The warden estimated that the acid caused the body to disintegrate within twelve hours. His clothes and possessions were incinerated to discourage exhibitions of his life"

Leon Czolgosz 1900.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some were a little more radical than Henry George, but they both claimed they stood on the same ground against a common enemy of the working class people.

"In the weeks that followed, his social awkwardness, his evasiveness, and his blunt inquiries about secret societies "

"His last words were: "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people – the good working people."

Is it just me, or does this seem a bit overboard? Spiteful even? Trying to make an example of him to discourage anyone else? "The body was buried on prison grounds following the autopsy. Prison authorities had planned to enter the body with quicklime to hasten its decomposition but decided otherwise after testing quicklime on a sample of meat. After determining that they were not legally limited to the use of quicklime for the process, they poured sulfuric acid into Czolgosz's coffin so that his body would be completely disfigured. The warden estimated that the acid caused the body to disintegrate within twelve hours. His clothes and possessions were incinerated to discourage exhibitions of his life"

View attachment 1628172

Or like John Wilkes Booth, they buried someone else and the culprit lived on after giving the warden millions in gold of course?

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I had such high hopes for this three day weekend, oh well.

On Saturday, my work called me at 2:30 am.
I am in I.T. and something was down in India (they work round the clock over there).
By the time I was through with work, it was time to go to the marsh.
Man, I was tired.
Just as I got there, I heard a shot nearby.
Dag-nabbit poachers again.

So I went home and went to bed.
My plan was to return later that day, after a nap and a late lunch.

Of course, the fates hated me on Saturday.
The A/C guy was supposed to come out at 4:00 pm and replace an A/C window unit at my house.
I could not remove the old window unit, as it was stuck in the window....and the wife would not let me use my replicator saw on the window or my sledge-hammer on the window unit to get it out...true!
Time wore on and on, and the A/C guy never showed up.
So my whole Saturday was a bust.

Sunday was the best of the three day weekend.
I achieved my last week's goal.
Both holes are 9 feet down now, and PVC-pipe-lined.

Here is a picture of a 10-ft 4-inch-diameter PVC that I slipped down there.
It shows one foot still showing, that means both holes are now 9 feet deep.
one foot.JPG

Monday supposed to be a great day.
Too bad it wasn't.

I got up early, went to the marsh, and started digging.
After two scoops, it started to rain!
Blast! I was so mad.

Well, it is September.
The rains start up again here in September.

I have been in the rain before in the marsh.
One doesn't belong in a marsh in the rain.
Way too dangerous, even for a foolish treasure hunter like me.

So I packed up my gear and started back to my truck.
My bike broke one block away from my truck, but I didn't mind too much.
It was due to break anyway.
So Monday was a bust, too.

Here is a picture of how far I need to go with the 4-inch diameter to get down to 15 feet.
The 4-foot ladder is to show you how far that is.
I painted the aluminum ladder flat black so I could hide it easier from the poachers.
I don't know why the picture is sideways.
ladder.JPG

Here is a picture of the man-made hill I have to dig through.
The hill is 3 foot higher than the marsh surface.
I know it is a man-made hill because it is not on the old maps, and runs in a straight line.
hill.JPG

So if the story is true, and the magic-wand magnetometer didn't lie to me, then
I am almost 1/2 way to the safe (9 feet done, 14 more feet to go).
Or I am 1/3 the way to bedrock (9 feet done, 18 more feet to go).
Time will tell.

"I haven't accomplished nothing yet - I have a long way to go."
Wyclef Jean

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Or like John Wilkes Booth, they buried someone else and the culprit lived on after giving the warden millions in gold of course?

It sounds like it could be possible, but without a body to exhume it would be hard to prove in both cases. There is that piece of Booth's spine that they removed and display in the Smithsonian though......8-)

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I am in I.T. and something was down in India (they work round the clock over there).
Man, I was tired.

The A/C guy was supposed to come out at 4:00 pm and replace an A/C window unit at my house.
I could not remove the old window unit, as it was stuck in the window....and the wife would not let me use my replicator saw on the window or my sledge-hammer on the window unit to get it out...true!

View attachment 1628360

Too bad it wasn't.

Blast! I was so mad.

Well, it is September.

Here is a picture of how far I need to go with the 4-inch diameter to get down to 15 feet.
I painted the aluminum ladder flat black so I could hide it easier from the poachers.
View attachment 1628361

I know it is a man-made hill because it is not on the old maps, and runs in a straight line.
View attachment 1628364

Time will tell.

Wyclef Jean

We have been in the rain here too Barn, and it doesn't look any better for the next week! You are making progress Barn, and that is something to be proud of. Good luck too you, hope them safes are there waiting for you!

L.C.:occasion14:

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much rain in Mobile County Al. we wear bathing suits every day. :toothy2: need water wings.
( i lie a lot too)

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like it could be possible, but without a body to exhume it would be hard to prove in both cases. There is that piece of Booth's spine that they removed and display in the Smithsonian though......8-)

Very True...I have a hard time believing all of what history says about Booth and Lincoln's assassination myself. It just doesn't make sense.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

Man, I was tired.

View attachment 1628360

Too bad it wasn't.

Blast! I was so mad.

Well, it is September.

View attachment 1628361

View attachment 1628364

Time will tell.

Wyclef Jean

Barn..You are making tremendous progress in finding out if that story is true or not...I'm Still Rootin' For Ya!!

Kace

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

This weekend was just a 1-day dig-day.
And has left me with an unexpected puzzle.

As you know, I am down to just two holes.
The two holes are about 4 feet apart.
I had dug 9 feet down on each hole previously to this weekend.

My progress on the first hole stopped me today at 118" inches. (9' 10").
I hit a rock or some metal...something hard (not clay).
I knew enough by now not to get excited when I hit something.

So I got my trusty rare-earth magnet (a strong little magnet) and tied a paratroop string on its hook.
Here is my trusty magnet that can't be fooled.
Trusty Magnet.JPG

I dropped the magnet in the hole to see if it was attracted to what I hit.
My trusty magnet wasn't attracted to anything, even when I pushed it further down in the silt with a 12-foot-long 1"-diameter pvp pipe.

I figured I hit an iron ore rock, as those are found if you dig some in that hematite filled sandy marsh.

So I sighed and said to myself that I was down to just my last hole in the marsh.

I started digging in the second hole.
To my puzzlement, my progress on the second hole stopped me at 119" inches. (9' 11").
Again I hit a rock or some metal...something hard (not clay).
And again, my trusty magnet wasn't attracted to anything, even when I pushed it further down in the silt with a 12-foot-long 1-inch-diameter PVC pipe.

That is just too weird.
Being stopped by a non-magnetic "thing" at just about the same depth four feet apart.

And if these things are non-magnetic rocks, why the heck did my rented magnetometer say to dig in these two places?
Weird, weird, weird.

I can't use a pin-pointer to see if there is gold down there either.
I can't drop a pin-pointer in ANY hole in the hematite sandy soil in the marsh.
ANY hole anywhere in the marsh makes a pin-pointer go crazy.

I know that safes of the civil war era were made of wrought iron.
So if it was a safe, then I would know it using my trusty magnet.
But no dice.

So, I have to go back many times to see how big the "rock" is with more holes.

Here is my plan to see how big the 2 rocks are...and will determine if they are rocks at all.
Holes.jpg
I will have to dig some more exploratory holes about 1 foot out from each of my "last two holes" to see what I find about 9' 10"-ish feet down. Ugh.

I guess the marsh isn't done playing with me yet, I suppose.

"Life is full of surprises, isn't it?"
- Charlton Heston

Last edited:

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

This was supposed to be a 2-day dig weekend, but I was only able to go out to the marsh on Sunday.
I hurt my back on Tuesday morning, just by bending over and straightening up.
I have done that a thousand times without issue so not sure why this time was different.

So all week I had to use a cane to get around, and Saturday was still just too painful even to walk or stand without a cane.

I went Sunday to the marsh with fear and trepidation and surprisingly acheieved my goal for the weekend. Hooray.
Now to rest up a week for next Sunday's adventure.

As you all know, I am trying to determine what I am hitting at 9' 8" down on my two holes.
One of the guys on this forum suggested I try to drill into what I am hitting to see if it is metal or not.
If the obstacles were rocks, then I wouldn't have to dig all those other holes to see the dimension of the obstacles.

Perhaps the safes were made of brass, for example.
Or the drill could say for sure if it was a rock.
I thought that was an excellent idea!

I got one of these drill bits off Amazon, as it had many tiny teeth so, in theory, I could see what kind of scrapings it would render.
Drill bit.jpg
I also got some heavy grease to catch the scrapings so they would stay on the drill on the way up to the surface.

After several failed attempts to attach the drill to a pipe, I finally came up with something that worked.
The drill bit has a couple of flat sides, so I put the drill bit in a 3/4-inch pipe and put it in my vise.
Then I banged on the vice handle with my 10-pound hammer to flatten two sides of the pipe.
(My back complained to my brain a lot while doing that.)

The effort was successful in that drill bit now will not come out of the pipe and will turn when I turn the pipe. (Hooray!)
Then I attached the other end of the 3/4-inch pipe to my hand auger pipes that I extend down into the hole.

Here are a couple of pictures I took while out in the field.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

To my surprise, on both holes, no fillings game up with the drill bit at all. Drat.
Even with my poor back, I was able to put six 30-pound cinder blocks on my pipes (180 pounds total) and spin the drill bit around like 30 times.
Still no filings.

Also surprisingly, the pipe spun around easily.
This leads me to believe it is NOT a rock in either hole.
My thinking now is that the almost-10-foot-down obstacle in both holes is a cement wall or border for the man-made hill.
Perhaps it has some rebar in it, that the magic-wand magnetometer detected.

Only my digging more holes will determine the obstacle dimensions which will tell me for sure.
Oh well, it was certainly worth the effort to try the drill bit, and I did learn more about the obstacles today.

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
(Wonder what Tommy would say about the marsh, ha!)

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you not bring out a backhoe and dig down to 14 feet and then you will know? Should not take a half hour or more.

barnhse

Oct 7, 2014
NE Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you not bring out a backhoe and dig down to 14 feet and then you will know? Should not take a half hour or more.

Hi Franklin, Maybe I will do that, although the owner of the land said no machinery allowed.
He is afraid machinery will sink, or turn over in the marsh and someone might get hurt.

Barn

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Franklin, Maybe I will do that, although the owner of the land said no machinery allowed.
He is afraid machinery will sink, or turn over in the marsh and someone might get hurt.

Barn

Sign a contract with the landowner stating that you are your own responsibility and offer him 50 percent of all treasures recovered. That should let you bring in a steam shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions