All Treasure Hunting
The year is 1909.
He is in a funeral procession.
Anyone know what he is saying with his hands? View attachment 1554552
Thank you.
WH

Hand sign 1909 (2).jpg

Checking his pocket watch.

view.jpeg senior-train-conductor-holding-his-pocket-watch-white-background-48474550.jpg

And I don't imagine he had to hold that position long at all, there were Kodak Brownie "Snapshot" cameras and others in use during that time period which did not require a long pose.

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn you Are good!:laughing7: L.C.

Just trying to serve my mankind, sir. Some say it's not easy...(i agree). Your "compliment' ...duly noted.

"Others" say, that a closed hand, where there's a space left between the thumb and the rest of the conjoined fingers, would mean the old
saying ...Let the Circle Be Unbroken" as a general message to their bretheren.

Others, dispute that. Your choice to read, either. Regards.

(P.S. Other variants......May the Circle Be Unbroken.......and......The Unbroken Circle.)

(p.p.s. you forgot to place a coma? in your compliment?)

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just trying to serve my mankind, sir. Some say it's not easy...(i agree). Your "compliment' ...duly noted.

"Others" say, that a closed hand, where there's a space left between the thumb and the rest of the conjoined fingers, would mean the old
saying ...Let the Circle Be Unbroken" as a general message to their bretheren.

Others, dispute that. Your choice to read, either. Regards.

(P.S. Other variants......May the Circle Be Unbroken.......and......The Unbroken Circle.)

Good Point, Maverick1

WH
IMG_2146 (1).jpg

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Point, Maverick1

WH
View attachment 1555640

Thank you Ma'am,

Was just trying to lift some stiffness via innocent jokes. (I don't think the bretheren pictured will care, any-longer)

Though, apparently he was asking for some help, at the time. Very common in those days. Almost lost nowadays, due to Informational
Technology, that took over.
But, that's how we find out about.....things of the past.

Best regards, M1

OP
OP
White Heart

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I don't imagine he had to hold that position long at all, there were Kodak Brownie "Snapshot" cameras and others in use during that time period which did not require a long pose.[/QUOTE]
Ditlihi,
This is fragment of a 5"x7" contact print from a glass plate negative.
I don't know how long of an exposure was needed on a sunny July day. Does anyone?
WH

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Up to 20 min. on a tin plate. On a glass plate? No. I don't know. It's above my pay grade. Please tell. Fascinating. T.Y.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I don't imagine he had to hold that position long at all, there were Kodak Brownie "Snapshot" cameras and others in use during that time period which did not require a long pose.

Ditlihi,

This is fragment of a 5"x7" contact print from a glass plate negative.
I don't know how long of an exposure was needed on a sunny July day. Does anyone?
WH

" During the 1880s, the collodion process was largely replaced by*gelatin dry plates–glass plates with a*photographic emulsion*of silver halides suspended in gelatin. The dry gelatin emulsion was not only more convenient, but it could also be made much more sensitive, greatly reducing exposure times."

"The support for the images was glass, which was far less expensive than silver-plated copper, and was more durable than paper negatives. It was also fast for the time, requiring only seconds for exposure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collodion_process

I appreciate the connection you are attempting to make with the "hand signs", just fail to see how you can distinguish the difference between a "hand sign" and a man checking his watch ...from this "fragment" of a photograph. :dontknow:

Hand sign 1909 (2).jpg view.jpeg

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other

" During the 1880s, the collodion process was largely replaced by*gelatin dry plates–glass plates with a*photographic emulsion*of silver halides suspended in gelatin. The dry gelatin emulsion was not only more convenient, but it could also be made much more sensitive, greatly reducing exposure times."

"The support for the images was glass, which was far less expensive than silver-plated copper, and was more durable than paper negatives. It was also fast for the time, requiring only seconds for exposure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collodion_process

I appreciate the connection you are attempting to make with the "hand signs", just fail to see how you can distinguish the difference between a "hand sign" and a man checking his watch ...from this "fragment" of a photograph. :dontknow:

View attachment 1555731 View attachment 1555732

Great info and timely, TY

Well, I am of the opinion that the liquor Barron on the right, is partially responsible for the addiction to alcohol of the little guy on the left. That has been proved by this thread, beyond any reasonable doubt.
Thus, we can now understand his ‘mea culpa’ and why Vassar became a philanthropist,…and our little guy ended up with a brand new pocket watch. A gift.
Mistery Solved… Please return the rope back to the G-ral Merchendise Store…NOT Guilty.
Hand signal however, has to show the upper side of the hand, including the Thumb. (not seen in Vassar
watch, watching ….vs.,…..our little guy’s left hand index finger, pointing.) Just an angle type, thingie.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn you Are good!:laughing7: L.C.

Eheeey, the days,…and the ways…

Oh,…almost forgot, to congratulate you on your choice of avatar. Though, the hand is too high and the position of the hat does not fit the conventional. Therefore, some of us weekenders may get the wrong message on the “general stare” of subjects. You probably know?, that they are what they are. Regards.
:hello:
Comma sir, please put your comma where you feel it belongs. (charming smile too, congrats)

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I thought, but I guess it makes a difference. :laughing7:

L.C.

Must admit I envy you.

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." ----- Galileo Galilei

and the second charmer

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other

fail to see how you can distinguish the difference between a "hand sign" and a man checking his watch

That is the thing about signs and signals that make them covert. I believe it would be very hard to distinguish unless you were aware of the possibility. That takes about 99% of the general public out of it. Then the ones that are left are still trying to decide I think. I believe it requires more background in some cases to determine the difference. If you try too hard then it becomes cloud watching on a unicorn hunt. If there is significant evidence of the individual's background before the picture at least you know they are all in the same boat together, but that still doesn't mean its true unless it leads to more. Not easy to do without some study and info. Just MHO.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The year is 1909.
He is in a funeral procession.
Anyone know what he is saying with his hands? View attachment 1554552
Thank you.
WH

I'm going with Rosary Beads...Possibly a pocket/bracelet type....It looks like he's standing in front of a Donkey or Horse and that photo was quickly taken which you could do with glass. Check out the ears behind his head and the bridle strap on his right and the hoof to the mans left in the photo. It also looks like reins laying over his left shoe in the photo.

It could be he's leading the hearse for the procession.

I'd also venture a guess the man is Italian or Sicilian.

Do you have the rest of the photo White Heart?

Kace

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the thing about signs and signals that make them covert. I believe it would be very hard to distinguish unless you were aware of the possibility. That takes about 99% of the general public out of it. Then the ones that are left are still trying to decide I think. I believe it requires more background in some cases to determine the difference. If you try too hard then it becomes cloud watching on a unicorn hunt. If there is significant evidence of the individual's background before the picture at least you know they are all in the same boat together, but that still doesn't mean its true unless it leads to more. Not easy to do without some study and info. Just MHO.

I have decided to stop envying you, Sir. The true word is "managia" and Kace is right about origin. Kudos Kace (IMVHO)

managia = mannaggia

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread