Woodsman of the world question

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that one of my relatives was buried with a WOW headstone, but not one of the "stumps". It was a regular headstone with their logo on it. I remember doing a little reading about the organization when I came across the headstone. I was surprised to find that they still exist. I went and found which relative it was and he was also a Mason. I have copies of photos from his funeral where there was a line of Masons there at the grave site.

View attachment 1672418

ETA...I was just looking at some other information and apparently he was a member of the Oddfellows as well.

That would be a very cool photo to see....Can you post the funeral photo and block names? Do you know what year it was?

Thanks KJ

Kace

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be a very cool photo to see....Can you post the funeral photo and block names? Do you know what year it was?

Thanks KJ

Kace

I had to send the originals back to my parents, but I think that I have a scan of it on one of my computers. I know that it took place in South Carolina in 1940.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks KJ

Kace

I know that it took place in South Carolina in 1940.

Masons.jpg

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks KJ! That's a Great Pic...The Staffs are impressive too! Do you know what his ranking was by any chance? Looks like there's several there that are pretty high up.

Kace

I don't have that information. All I know is that he was initiated, passed. and raised all in 1919. In 1937 he was 'Erased N.P.D.', I am guessing that means Erased for a non-payed debt, since right after that it says $3. Then he was reinstated in 1937. Guess all was forgiven since there were all those people at his funeral only 3 years later. I don't remember how many Masons came to my grandfather's funeral, but I do remember them having their part of the burial service. My grandfather was one of those people mentioned further up-thread for whom the Masons were mainly a social club and their "night out" of the house. I do, however, still have active members in the extended family.

Lodge Card.jpg

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you be referring to Woodmen of the World?
The female auxiliary, Women of Woodcraft, was the ones that erected tombstones with motifs of stumps, limbs,
up untill 1917. Read my post
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/520359-women-woodcraft-token.html

Both of us are right Eye...Because of the Many Subsidiaries, Auxiliaries and Name Changes.... I get tired of writing them all out and usually when someone else has an interest in them I say WOW or MWOW because I'm assuming they are researching the organization and will see the split, timeframes and different sub organizations.

There were also many Master Stonemasons who through contracts with monument companies copied/created Tree Stump monuments...They aren't always WOW/et al. Some were just poured into a form and shipped to the closest monument company. There were several options.

Thanks for posting that link for those interested... it's quite a history if researching from the beginning. That original organization and those that branched out from it are well worth the read and seeing photos. There's a database and also it shows what their symbolism on monuments meant.

Kace

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey thanks man, when I get to the books, should I load up a copy on here. Been a good while since I opened them, last time I even touched them was when we moved state side and I shipped my collection over, so I know exactly where the book is right now.

Know nothing of KCG or even what it is, know it is on here, but are the two related in some way.

Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) was a radical, racial, ruthless organization, with the vision that the South would rise again...! I believe the reality show The Curse of Civil War Gold, those characters are involved somehow...! Ooops! rabbit trail..., sorry!

I've been following this thread, since I had posted a thread about the Women of Woodcraft token I recovered....
You can read it somewhere on this forum.

Thanks,
Jim (aka eyemustdigtreasure)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread