Addressing and Correcting Misinformation in the KGC Forum

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Bein' relatively new ta TNet, I couldn't help but notice tha appalling amount of Misinformation that is floating around tha KGC forum. As a Historian, it saddens me ta think of all tha readers out there who are being misinformed and misled. I would like ta be able ta address that misinformation here and present documentation that disputes it and verifies the correct information. That is what I hope ta accomplish with this thread.

I would like ta keep tha thread focused on documented facts and restricted to disputing the information/misinformation itself, not tha individual/member, thereby promoting Full Disclosure while maintaining Civil Discourse. Rebuttals are welcome, using tha same protocol. I realize that comes hard fer some, but hope ta manage a civil tone without having ta call fer Moderation.

That said, I apologise in advance fer the length of my opening post but here goes....

:coffee2:

Tha first piece of Misinformation I'd like ta address is in regards ta several threads where tha following photo is being touted as evidence of a "Secret Meeting of the O.A.K.'s Inner Circle in 1904 at Arbor Lodge in Nebraska City". allegedly hosted by Paul Morton; using pixelated close-ups from this photo both on tha forum and Pinterest as well, and claiming them ta be Teddy Roosevelt, an undead Jesse James, and Andrew Carnegie (among others).

Roosevelt misidentified.jpg

Jesse James misidentified.jpg

Carnegie misidentified.jpg

THAT IS MISINFORMATION.

Tha original photograph from tha Daniel H. Burnham Collection accompanies a lengthy article that was printed in a 1904 issue of Hearst International Magazine, describing tha two day event, and where ALL INDIVIDUALS in tha photo are IDENTIFIED along with a detailed summary of tha party and a complete guest list. Tha two day party was quite an event and was widely covered in newspapers across Nebraska and elsewhere, and was a well documented celebration. It WAS NOT a "Secret Meeting" by any stretch of tha imagination....

Omaha Daily Bee, 17 Jul 1904, Sun, Page 4.jpg

In tha interest of Full Disclosure For Research Purposes, I present tha Original Photo from tha Daniel H. Burnham Collection (Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson & Burnham Archives)...

arbor lodge celebration-DH Burnham Collection.jpg

.... and tha copy (*Redacted) that was printed in tha 1904 Hearst International Magazine coverage of tha event, which includes tha TRUE IDENTITY of those subjects that are MISIDENTIFIED above.

* Those who seek tha unredacted copy are free ta do their OWN research and look it up yerself. I've listed my source fer ye.

Arbor Lodge Party redacted.png

Tha man seated in tha chair on tha extreme left, front row, is Judge George Baker Lake of Omaha, NE - NOT JESSE JAMES....

judge george baker lake.jpg

Tha man standing in tha second row with his arms crossed is Architect, Daniel H. Burnham - NOT TEDDY ROOSEVELT....

daniel h burnham.jpg

Tha man seated in tha chair on tha extreme right, front row, is former Republican U.S. Senator Charles Frederick Manderson - NOT ANDREW CARNEGIE....

Charles F Manderson .jpg

Now, as a historian, Roosevelt jest happens ta be one of my favorite subjects. When I ran across this misinformation here on tha forum, I was gobsmacked. Roosevelt was nowhere near Arbor Lodge, Nebraska City on tha date of this celebration. It's common knowledge fer those who study his life and Presidency that he always made his home tha "Summer White House". Theodore Roosevelt spent tha entire month of July 1904 at his Sagamore Hill home in Oyster Bay, NY.

Theodore Roosevelt and his Sagamore Hill Home
U.S. Department of the Interior

https://www.nps.gov/sahi/learn/management/upload/sahi-historic-resource-study-2007-final.pdf

The Summer White House, pg 35

It is unfortunate that MISINFORMATION such as this proliferates on today's internet, and especially when found here on tha forum. It's my hope that by making these documents available I can save many researchers from wasting their time on bad information and "rabbit holes" of Speculation masquerading as fact.

Researchers may want ta bookmark this thread as I have more instances I'm plannin ta address in posts ta follow. And please feel free ta contribute yer own Documentation, with Sources, related ta any misinformation you may have found in these threads as well. By sharing this information we can All help TNet readers become better informed.

Happy researching... :icon_thumright:

Tobe

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Ol' kentuck- when I was young some thought I looked just like Richie Furay, not so much now. I also looked just like Joe Midnight, but that's another story. The truth shall set you free. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Ol' kentuck- when I was young some thought I looked just like Richie Furay, not so much now. I also looked just like Joe Midnight, but that's another story. The truth shall set you free. Good luck.

Lol, yep, I understand.

In my younger days I kinda resembled Chuck Norris (only taller). Now I've been told I look like an aging Willie Nelson (minus tha herbal 'aura')*. :laughing7:

Sometimes reality doesn't match what we want ta see, such is life I reckon. :icon_thumright:

* Per conversation with pretty li'l blonde at DMV

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Bein' relatively new ta TNet, I couldn't help but notice tha appalling amount of Misinformation that is floating around tha KGC forum. As a Historian, it saddens me ta think of all tha readers out there who are being misinformed and misled. I would like ta be able ta address that misinformation here and present documentation that disputes it and verifies the correct information. That is what I hope ta accomplish with this thread.

I would like ta keep tha thread focused on documented facts and restricted to disputing the information/misinformation itself, not tha individual/member, thereby promoting Full Disclosure while maintaining Civil Discourse. Rebuttals are welcome, using tha same protocol. I realize that comes hard fer some, but hope ta manage a civil tone without having ta call fer Moderation.

That said, I apologise in advance fer the length of my opening post but here goes....

Tha first piece of Misinformation I'd like ta address is in regards ta several threads where tha following photo is being touted as evidence of a "Secret Meeting of the O.A.K.'s Inner Circle in 1904 at Arbor Lodge in Nebraska City". allegedly hosted by Paul Morton; using pixelated close-ups from this photo both on tha forum and Pinterest as well, and claiming them ta be Teddy Roosevelt, an undead Jesse James, and Andrew Carnegie (among others).

View attachment 1685552

View attachment 1685554

View attachment 1685555

THAT IS MISINFORMATION.

Tha original photograph from tha Daniel H. Burnham Collection accompanies a lengthy article that was printed in a 1904 issue of Hearst International Magazine, describing tha two day event, and where ALL INDIVIDUALS in tha photo are IDENTIFIED along with a detailed summary of tha party and a complete guest list. Tha two day party was quite an event and was widely covered in newspapers across Nebraska and elsewhere, and was a well documented celebration. It WAS NOT a "Secret Meeting" by any stretch of tha imagination....

View attachment 1685556

In tha interest of Full Disclosure For Research Purposes, I present tha Original Photo from tha Daniel H. Burnham Collection (Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson & Burnham Archives)...

View attachment 1685557

.... and tha copy (*Redacted) that was printed in tha 1904 Hearst International Magazine coverage of tha event, which includes tha TRUE IDENTITY of those subjects that are MISIDENTIFIED above.

* Those who seek tha unredacted copy are free ta do their OWN research and look it up yerself. I've listed my source fer ye.

View attachment 1685558

Tha man seated in tha chair on tha extreme left, front row, is Judge George Baker Lake of Omaha, NE - NOT JESSE JAMES....

View attachment 1685559

Tha man standing in tha second row with his arms crossed is Architect, Daniel H. Burnham - NOT TEDDY ROOSEVELT....

View attachment 1685560

Tha man seated in tha chair on tha extreme right, front row, is former Republican U.S. Senator Charles Frederick Manderson - NOT ANDREW CARNEGIE....

View attachment 1685561

Now, as a historian, Roosevelt jest happens ta be one of my favorite subjects. When I ran across this misinformation here on tha forum, I was gobsmacked. Roosevelt was nowhere near Arbor Lodge, Nebraska City on tha date of this celebration. It's common knowledge fer those who study his life and Presidency that he always made his home tha "Summer White House". Theodore Roosevelt spent tha entire month of July 1904 at his Sagamore Hill home in Oyster Bay, NY.

https://www.nps.gov/sahi/learn/management/upload/sahi-historic-resource-study-2007-final.pdf

It is unfortunate that MISINFORMATION such as this proliferates on today's internet, and especially when found here on tha forum. It's my hope that by making these documents available I can save many researchers from wasting their time on bad information and "rabbit holes" of Speculation masquerading as fact.

Researchers may want ta bookmark this thread as I have more instances I'm plannin ta address in posts ta follow. And please feel free ta contribute yer own Documentation, with Sources, related ta any misinformation you may have found in these threads as well. By sharing this information we can All help TNet readers become better informed.

Tobe

Thanks for clearing up the speculations that I made! Just a house party.....wow. Does it say anything about the K.G.C. being there? The Heart they are setting by? The pointer symbols and Lop from Wyuka that leads you there and beyond? The Order of American Knights?:dontknow: Thanks for clearing up who was in a picture for ALL of us, outstanding job on the research!:notworthy:

L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for clearing up the speculations that I made!
<snip>
Thanks for clearing up who was in a picture for ALL of us, outstanding job on the research!:notworthy:

L.C. Baker

Could this be Jesse James? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/k...cle-nebraska-city-nebraska-3.html#post4454680

Sounds like I asked for your opinion or proof otherwise to me. Thanks again for answering the question I asked.:icon_thumleft:

Was this a meeting of the O.A.K.?
Sounds like another question to me!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/k...cle-nebraska-city-nebraska-3.html#post4454688

Yer welcome, it is the least I can do. :wink:

Glad I was able ta answer some of yer questions. :)

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
<snip> Does it say anything about the K.G.C. being there? The Heart they are setting by? The pointer symbols and Lop from Wyuka that leads you there and beyond? The Order of American Knights?:dontknow: <snip>

L.C. Baker

As fer these questions, I'm afraid I can't help ye. Yer asking me ta Speculate on yer Speculations, and quite frankly, I'm jest not interested. Perhaps someone else might be interested in Speculatin' with ye on yer own thread(s). :dontknow:

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
" touted as evidence of a "Secret Meeting of the O.A.K.'s Inner Circle in 1904" I believe that is misinformation. Can you clear that up too?

Definition of tout
transitive verb

1 : to make much of : PROMOTE, TALK UP

2 : to solicit, peddle, or persuade importunately

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tout

I respectfully disagree, tha definition above fits what I've witnessed on tha forum perfectly. I merely addressed tha Misinformation and countered with tha Facts. I don't expect anyone ta jest take my word for it, in fact I encourage all readers of tha KGC Forum ta peruse tha threads themselves and come ta their own Informed conclusion.

Since ye've not provided any evidence ta dispute my assessment, I believe we're good then.

Stay tuned, as I'm jest getting started. Who knows, I may be able ta answer more of yer questions as we continue.

Thanks fer yer participation. :icon_thumright:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yer da "expert", then...? Written a book...? Wanna read it!

There's No Doubt after reading what Kentuck has said on the topics he's posted on he's a great researcher.

If he has written a historical book on things I'm interested in I'd Definitely buy it too!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1685552

View attachment 1685554

View attachment 1685555

THAT IS MISINFORMATION.

View attachment 1685556

View attachment 1685557

View attachment 1685558

View attachment 1685559

View attachment 1685560

View attachment 1685561

Tobe

I kinda feel like I owe you an apology Kentuck ...Back in August (I think) of last year, I researched this event pretty extensively which you can see where I posted about it...I didn't post what all I found. I'm sorry for that because it gave the impression to a new member or anyone reading it that I didn't care enough to tell this story in it's complete and factual form. I'm a Roosevelt family history buff myself and should of posted it.

You presented this much better than I could of and I'm sure you have the entire extended affair and participants covered besides just this so I'm not going to add to it since I'd bet the farm you have the full story.

I will be adding something on the Cole Younger and the Tombstone Tourist thread that I should of done too and didn't.

You're right, it's better for All of the members on Tnet when all the facts are told...I've learned so much from members here and I do appreciate that very much!

Thanks For The Post, Looking Forward To The Rest of The Series and Posts. I'm Glad You Are Here Sharing Your Knowledge!

Kace

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Yer da "expert", then...? Written a book...? Wanna read it!

There's No Doubt after reading what Kentuck has said on the topics he's posted on he's a great researcher.

If he has written a historical book on things I'm interested in I'd Definitely buy it too!

Kace

I kinda feel like I owe you an apology Kentuck ...Back in August (I think) of last year, I researched this event pretty extensively which you can see where I posted about it...I didn't post what all I found. I'm sorry for that because it gave the impression to a new member or anyone reading it that I didn't care enough to tell this story in it's complete and factual form. I'm a Roosevelt family history buff myself and should of posted it.

You presented this much better than I could of and I'm sure you have the entire extended affair and participants covered besides just this so I'm not going to add to it since I'd bet the farm you have the full story.

I will be adding something on the Cole Younger and the Tombstone Tourist thread that I should of done too and didn't.

You're right, it's better for All of the members on Tnet when all the facts are told...I've learned so much from members here and I do appreciate that very much!

Thanks For The Post, Looking Forward To The Rest of The Series and Posts. I'm Glad You Are Here Sharing Your Knowledge!

Kace

While I appreciate tha kind words and y'alls vote of confidence, I have ta remind ye that this thread is for addressing tha Misinformation, not tha Individual. When tha facts stand on their own, without being propped up by ego and speculation, it don't matter who presents it, does it?

It's kinda like huntin'. Ye can have tha purtiest, shiniest, biggest pistol in tha west. But ye ain't gonna get yer supper with it if it's jest shootin blanks. And vice versi, ye can have a pocket full o'bullets but without somethin ta shoot 'em with, yer goin hungry.

If ye share yer bullets with everbody in tha huntin party, no matter what kinda gun they have, we all get ta eat. Capish?

Miss Kace, I did see yer mention of it earlier, and knew ye weren't sharin all ye knew. Maybe now ye'll feel more comfortable with it and not let others keep yer light hid under a bushel, eh? Thank ye fer yer support and fer sharing yer own knowledge in these threads. Yer an asset ta the forum. :icon_thumright:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
While I appreciate tha kind words and y'alls vote of confidence, I have ta remind ye that this thread is for addressing tha Misinformation, not tha Individual. When tha facts stand on their own, without being propped up by ego and speculation, it don't matter who presents it, does it?

It's kinda like huntin'. Ye can have tha purtiest, shiniest, biggest pistol in tha west. But ye ain't gonna get yer supper with it if it's jest shootin blanks. And vice versi, ye can have a pocket full o'bullets but without somethin ta shoot 'em with, yer goin hungry.

If ye share yer bullets with everbody in tha huntin party, no matter what kinda gun they have, we all get ta eat. Capish?

Miss Kace, I did see yer mention of it earlier, and knew ye weren't sharin all ye knew. Maybe now ye'll feel more comfortable with it and not let others keep yer light hid under a bushel, eh? Thank ye fer yer support and fer sharing yer own knowledge in these threads. Yer an asset ta the forum. :icon_thumright:

Thank You Kentuck....That's Very Nice Of You To Say! It's Uncanny How Much You Remind Me Of Friends and Family That Have Been Lost To Time! I still remember them from being a kid. It's a great feeling to know there's still people out there like that who will share their knowledge of long ago events and people. This man I spoke to the other night was like that...just a vast amount of knowledge that he graciously shared with me. First time I ever talked to him, but he was very interesting too...we had quite a bit in common as far as our interests, so since he was much more knowledgeable than I on the CW era in his part of the country...I really enjoyed talking to him. I hope to talk with him again.

I've been thinking about what you said regarding posting the facts about things even if it's not widely known and believed Or generally publicized to have been something else. That especially hit me after seeing this thread and then UMM posting the source and printer of the book he has and doing the BB thread. All of these things came together about the same time.

You're right again... it's better to put out the facts and people have options to research it further for themselves knowing there's more to the story. Just my opinion, but I think there's a lot of people who do not like to go to links attached on posts sometimes and they rely on what's posted for the story. It makes sense to tell the entire story and if members choose to research it they have that option too.

With UMM's book he referenced....Its just one of more than a few by locals to that area who kept journals and later those turned to published accounts of the atrocities and events that part of Missouri endured during the CW era. Those are as close to actually being there as possible. Most of them were not printed in large volume, so what he has can't be replaced. I don't believe the old ones I have or have read were written for money but instead to preserve history accurately by recording them. Thankfully.

I appreciate what you said...I feel that I've gotten more than I've given here, but I'll try and change that when I know something to be different or not posted.

Kace

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You Kentuck....That's Very Nice Of You To Say! It's Uncanny How Much You Remind Me Of Friends and Family That Have Been Lost To Time! I still remember them from being a kid. It's a great feeling to know there's still people out there like that who will share their knowledge of long ago events and people. This man I spoke to the other night was like that...just a vast amount of knowledge that he graciously shared with me. First time I ever talked to him, but he was very interesting too...we had quite a bit in common as far as our interests, so since he was much more knowledgeable than I on the CW era in his part of the country...I really enjoyed talking to him. I hope to talk with him again.

I've been thinking about what you said regarding posting the facts about things even if it's not widely known and believed Or generally publicized to have been something else. That especially hit me after seeing this thread and then UMM posting the source and printer of the book he has and doing the BB thread. All of these things came together about the same time.

You're right again... it's better to put out the facts and people have options to research it further for themselves knowing there's more to the story. Just my opinion, but I think there's a lot of people who do not like to go to links attached on posts sometimes and they rely on what's posted for the story. It makes sense to tell the entire story and if members choose to research it they have that option too.

With UMM's book he referenced....Its just one of more than a few by locals to that area who kept journals and later those turned to published accounts of the atrocities and events that part of Missouri endured during the CW era. Those are as close to actually being there as possible. Most of them were not printed in large volume, so what he has can't be replaced. I don't believe the old ones I have or have read were written for money but instead to preserve history accurately by recording them. Thankfully.

I appreciate what you said...I feel that I've gotten more than I've given here, but I'll try and change that when I know something to be different or not posted.

Kace

Good deal, I'm lookin forward to you and Ugly's posts regarding that area. Keep up tha good work. :icon_thumright:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Speculation is what led to this K.G.C. map and further speculation helped to solve most of it. Don't stop guessing because some smart @ss wants to stop and heckle you for some guess you got wrong while you were heading in the correct direction. After all, the treasure hunt is in the field and these armchair treasure jockeys have got the time to help prove what you want to know if you throw them a bone. Just say what you think out loud and they will start working for you too. It will give you more time in the field and less time in the books. Good luck out there!

L.C. Baker :icon_thumright:

Dad with Map2.jpg

P.S. Don't concentrate too hard on where a K.G.C. treasure trail begins, because it will end a long way from that point. morton kgc turtle.jpg If you find a sign or symbol it is most likely telling you to leave that place and seek out another.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
The gulf between Speculation and Fact, the distance between 'What If' and 'What Is', is long and fraught with opportunities for Misdirection, as has been demonstrated quite well on the pages of this thread.

The ineffectiveness of yer strategy in spending "more time in the field and less time in the books", or more Speculation and less Facts, is self evident by the lack of any culmination or closure to yer 40+ year KGC Odyssey. Let's call a Spade a Spade, shall we?

However, yer success in attempting to blur the line between the two (Speculation vs. Fact), is also quite evident by the positive response yer continued equivocations elicit from a deluded few.

So here we are.

Thankfully, my dance card is full.

Have a Good 'un.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1685552

View attachment 1685554

View attachment 1685555

THAT IS MISINFORMATION.

View attachment 1685556

View attachment 1685557

View attachment 1685558

View attachment 1685559

View attachment 1685560

View attachment 1685561

Tobe

Fact vs. Speculation :wink:

:icon_study: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread