CJ Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2019
NWA
Detector(s) used
Gti 2500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard several stories of Jesse James frequenting the local area here. (Boone County)
One of which an elderly neighbor and personal friend told me that Jesse was through this area frequently and had given his grandfather $50 to help the family in hard times. He also said that it was rumored that there is $200,000 hidden close to zinc Arkansas.
The other story that was told to me was from a local pastor. It was about a woman by the name "Granny" that lived on the outskirts of Zinc. She passed away around 18 years ago at the ripe old age of 109. She told stories of Jesse hiding out in her root cellar that was under the kitchen floor. Every time he came around, he gave her some money in exchange for safe hiding. Later in life she reportedly took a walk in the woods and came up with enough money to pay for her land and buy a new car. Several people here have verified the story as well. The pastor friend also said that there were JJ initials carved in one of the logs in the root cellar before it burned several years ago.
Was she possibly a sentinel? Is there possibly more buried?
Curious about thoughts on this...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard several stories of Jesse James frequenting the local area here. (Boone County)
One of which an elderly neighbor and personal friend told me that Jesse was through this area frequently and had given his grandfather $50 to help the family in hard times. He also said that it was rumored that there is $200,000 hidden close to zinc Arkansas.
The other story that was told to me was from a local pastor. It was about a woman by the name "Granny" that lived on the outskirts of Zinc. She passed away around 18 years ago at the ripe old age of 109. She told stories of Jesse hiding out in her root cellar that was under the kitchen floor. Every time he came around, he gave her some money in exchange for safe hiding. Later in life she reportedly took a walk in the woods and came up with enough money to pay for her land and buy a new car. Several people here have verified the story as well. The pastor friend also said that there were JJ initials carved in one of the logs in the root cellar before it burned several years ago.
Was she possibly a sentinel? Is there possibly more buried?
Curious about thoughts on this...

You might Check with your local Historical Society to see if they have information on what you've heard. Is Zinc close to where the Vaughn's lived/live? Is it close to Hatfield?

I'd also see if you can find Granny's Grave or Or some sort of official records on her...from the county even. Just by the numbers you put up in your post, even adding a couple years, she wouldn't of been born til 1890. The stories, if true, could of been regarding her parents or grandparents. Plat Books and Property Tax records would show that information if what you've heard was on her land.

There's several Arkansas guys that frequent this thread that probably would be able to give you some information.

Good Luck CJ!
Kace

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc is east of Harrison in the northern part of the state towards Missouri, Hatfield is south of Ft. Smith, near the Oklahoma border. About 200 mi. from each other.

My guess would be one of the Impostors getting free room and board with his tales. :wink:

Edit: John James comes to mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CJ Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2019
NWA
Detector(s) used
Gti 2500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might Check with your local Historical Society to see if they have information on what you've heard. Is Zinc close to where the Vaughn's lived/live? Is it close to Hatfield?

I'd also see if you can find Granny's Grave or Or some sort of official records on her...from the county even. Just by the numbers you put up in your post, even adding a couple years, she wouldn't of been born til 1890. The stories, if true, could of been regarding her parents or grandparents. Plat Books and Property Tax records would show that information if what you've heard was on her land.

There's several Arkansas guys that frequent this thread that probably would be able to give you some information.

Good Luck CJ!
Kace

You're right, the numbers don't add up. I will look into better dates and keep asking questions. Jesse was reported to robbing a bank in Harrison, which is about 12 miles from here.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Zinc is east of Harrison in the northern part of the state towards Missouri, Hatfield is south of Ft. Smith, near the Oklahoma border. About 200 mi. from each other.

My guess would be one of the Impostors getting free room and board with his tales. :wink:

HaHa. That entered my mind too....The guy that Kentuck put up...

IMG_4409.PNG

Kace

I was just wondering what that car and travel trailer rig would of cost back then? John James was crazy as can be, but there was definitely some cash backing him for that set up.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Dit!! I put Kentuck's pic of John James up! Love That and I think you're Imposter theory is right on the money.

Kace

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Kentuck is a hoot, lol, and wise as an Owl. Never seen anyone like him when it comes to hardcore research.

And I have Tnet to thank for our coming together. :notworthy:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this....

[video]https://www.fox16.com/news/local-news/taking-a-look-back-outlaw-arkansas/713705895[/video]

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That Kentuck is a hoot, lol, and wise as an Owl. Never seen anyone like him when it comes to hardcore research.

And I have Tnet to thank for our coming together. :notworthy:

Kentuck Is An Amazing Researcher....Very Knowledgeable. It's funny...I 'think' in his heart, he's just a Good Ole Country Boy and started here writing that way which some discarded as he wasn't too bright...But that went out the window quickly when he showed his 'Other Side' which was a highly educated man...whether it's self learned or a formal education...I don't know or care, but I personally would want him on my team all day long! He's been right on the money on Everything he's said here.

That irritates some, but I get the impression that even those who insulted or dismissed him...He would Still help them just cause he wants the truth of history told and to help get that out. He's got that ability to not let insults shut him up or run him off from the truth. I admire that in a person.

I hope he comes back soon...I miss him.

Kace

Last edited:

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope he comes back soon...I miss him.

Kace

Yer too kind, Miss Kace, I'm still checkin in ever once in awhile. Been busy with another project, a new 'grandbaby'. I sure am glad ta see yer breathin some new life inta tha Black Book thread. Mebbe I'll come visit and help out when I can, but afore we completely hijack this nice persons thread I will just say it's good ta see ya again. :hello:

And you too Miss Ditlihi, welcome back. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
C

CJ Hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2019
NWA
Detector(s) used
Gti 2500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, the numbers don't add up. I will look into better dates and keep asking questions. Jesse was reported to robbing a bank in Harrison, which is about 12 miles from here.

I don't think the stories are of imposters. There's too many instances of them being in the area frequently.
Another thing, what is currently boone county used to be Carroll county as mentioned in this article.
https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:140458&id=I59524799

Also this article about gaddy's corner just 12 miles north of Harrison. (Now close to omaha)
https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycle-tours/twisted-lady

Frank supposedly lived in Newton County, just south of boone.

How about some documentation on this purported bank robbery in Harrison by Jesse James (other than hearsay)? Newspaper reports, Historical Records of the Bank? Surely there is a record of a bank robbery linked to JJ somewhere. There certainly was on the Henry Starr attempted robbery on February 22nd 1921. :icon_scratch:

And the stories you linked to are merely repetitions of lore and legend, no evidence exists to validate them.

You've already been shown that your initial story could not have happened due to the discrepancy in dates alone, and have been offered a reasonable alternate explanation for how the story may have came into being. Yet you insist these stories are true and must be Jesse James, not an Impostor, based solely on the abundance of JJ tales told in that area.

Good luck with that.

Jesse James, The Legend, has captured the imaginations of thousands through the years. Everyone wanted to be him, be related to him, or be the one who hid him out in their cellar. Even after he was most certainly dead and moldering in the ground. The story in your opening post is proof enough of that.

You're free to believe what you want, but without any facts to back up your position there is little we can do to verify it. Therefore it will remain simply your "belief". :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread