Discussion on J. Frank Carroll's Book Confederate Treasure in Danville

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need your thoughts and post on J. Frank Carroll's book, "Confederate Treasure in Danville."

Frank left a lot of questions unanswered, even questions I have asked him many times while he was alive.
First, How did Frank know about the three soldiers returning to Danville after the Battle of Saylor's (Sailors)Creek on April 8, 1865?

Second, Where did Frank get their names? Robert S. Jones, John Holland and Augustus Garrett. Note: There were two Robert S. Jones at the Battle of Sailor's Creek. One was killed instantly on the battlefield. The other was said to have been taken to the Farmville Hospital and he died on April 29, 1865. Then there is Rector George Washington's Dame's Sermon on Palm Sunday. In attendance were President Jefferson Davis, his staff, members of his cabinet and Generals. Rector Dame after the sermon said one of their fellow citizens had took a turn for the worst and later that day was taken out and buried. Buried the day he died and on Palm Sunday. Does not sound right?

Third, Frank's book says that the treasure was taken out of the Ann Benedict House and buried the night of April 8th.? Question: If the treasure was buried on April 8th, 1865, how could the treasure be buried with Jones when he was not buried until April 9 and actually Jones did not die until April 29th? Danville Newspaper quoted noted historian Lawerence McFall as stating that the treasure was buried with Robert S. Jones? Problem with that scores of modern day Treasure Hunters have used GPS and Satellite GPS readings, myself included. And the test results say there is no large cache of silver buried in that area?

Fourth, J. Frank Carroll quoted the orders given to William Deakins Nutt a high official in the USA Treasury Dept. before the Civil War and also in the CSA Treasury and to John Ott, a clerk for Secretary of the Treasury, George Alfred Trenholm. Where did Frank get a copy of the orders? I have never found a copy anywhere?

And fifth and last, Frank said Nutt and Ott made four trips with the Mexican Silver about ten kegs of Mexican Silver to the load. Frank said they took the wagon loads of silver and returned for the next load in five minutes time. Now two and one half minutes there and two and one half minutes back and unloading the cargo of silver seems a little far fetched for me?

What are your thoughts on any of these five questions?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Creative fill in the blanks embellishments like most treasure stories with extra elaborate details that can not be either proven or disproved.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that Lawrence McFall is not telling the whole truth as he may know it! I truly believe that he knows the actual truth and is covering up the truth. I believe he may be a live sentinel ! He sure acts like one! I did actually did meet and talk with McFall, and it was close to a supposedly treasure site! He sure knows more than he is saying!

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that Lawrence McFall is not telling the whole truth as he may know it! I truly believe that he knows the actual truth and is covering up the truth. I believe he may be a live sentinel ! He sure acts like one! I did actually did meet and talk with McFall, and it was close to a supposedly treasure site! He sure knows more than he is saying!

Lawerence McFall only knows what my "X" partners told him----nothing more. But my "X" partners did not have all the information.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the book by Carroll, he never says where a treasure is located and he really didn't have any clues for you to search? Are we giving him more credit than he deserves? Wonder if he actually knew or not? I get the feeling, he actually never knew! Franklin I wished I could help you, but I can't answer any of your questions! They are questions I would like to know also!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the book by Carroll, he never says where a treasure is located and he really didn't have any clues for you to search? Are we giving him more credit than he deserves? Wonder if he actually knew or not? I get the feeling, he actually never knew! Franklin I wished I could help you, but I can't answer any of your questions! They are questions I would like to know also!

I talked with his daughter that lives in Germany. She was with Frank all the time he was searching in Danville. She told me that Frank did not know. She said she had to carry around two young children and take Frank to all of his search areas. One was at the Greenhill Cemetery. She said what time she was with her father, he found nothing. J. Frank Carroll before being bound to a wheel chair probed the whole area around where Robert S. Jones is buried. It took him over four years to probe every square foot to a depth of 6 and 1/2 feet. I have his probe out in one of my buildings. He gave it to me as well as all his research except what was contained in his safe deposit box. When his brother Phillip an attorney in the Charlotte, N.C. area, opened the safe deposit box there was nothing in there. So I really do not believe Frank knew. All though he did go on television telling people he knew exactly where it was buried. But, then Frank states,"But if I am ever asked I was told by brother who is an attorney. I am not at Liberty to divulge that information." Do you have a copy of the film.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, now of whom does that remind me? :laughing7:

Yes. But there is a big difference in "knowing" and thinking you know. I know.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Author of "JEFFERSON DAVIS's FLIGHT FROM RICHMOND", John Stewart is another who claims he knows the real story and that historians and Union records got it all wrong in his "novelized" history of this event.
It is amazing that all professional historians get it all wrong while amateurs are the only ones to get it right.
Yes, Franklin, there is a BIG difference in "knowing" and thinking you know.
'Nuff Said.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that Franklin has alot credible information and research, I believe it has some thread of truth! I think maybe some of his information was given to him was incorrect! After reading this book, I still believe Carroll's story was not helpful at locating any treasure as I believe he does not know where a treasure was located, if he was still searching
for a treasure. After all these people have looked for a treasure, I believe a treasure is in Danville and not where any of these people have looked!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
One can apply the Schrodinger Principle to these CSA/KGC hidden treasure tales of simultaneous superposition of existing/not existing, until, if ever, these hidden depositories ate found and open.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
One can apply the Schrodinger Principle to these CSA/KGC hidden treasure tales of simultaneous superposition of existing/not existing, until, if ever, these hidden depositories ate found and open.
YOU have his book...?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread