Books about the Knights of the Golden Circle

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D I think we oughta have GOLDEN CIRCLE RESEARCH SOCIETY Chapters in each state where KGC activities has been "noted"/found. Bet Texas would be BIG... and where y'all
are! "Google" GOLDEN CIRCLE RESEARCH SOCIETY :icon_thumleft: ;D
Jesse James' Hidden Treasure
"By the time Jesse James was killed in 1882, he'd stolen over a million and a half dollars according to some estimates--gold, coins and cash that could be worth over $50 million today. History often paints James as a clever outlaw who stole money to finance a lavish criminal lifestyle, a man whose sixteen year long crime spree came to a dramatic halt in 1882 when a fellow gang member betrayed him and shot him dead in the back of the head. But now, a treasure hunt may reveal a totally new story. Was Jesse really stealing for himself, or was he actually secreting away large sums of wealth, in order to finance one of the most clandestine secret societies in American history? Follow a team of treasure hunters searching for where he stashed his riches... and a new truth about Jesse James. Their discoveries may not only re-write the history of why Jesse stole, it could also raise new questions about his death."
Rating: TVPG
Running Time: 120 minutes
http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=502912

Monday, November 09 08:00 PM
Tuesday, November 10 12:00 AM
Saturday, November 14 05:00 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: GOOD! You already have something, down in TEXAS. NOW, is the time, to get
"out in the field(s)"!! ANOTHER "OITF" group is TEAM KGC "via" Floyd Mann; 65 + members in 27 +
states; [email protected] for MORE info. CAMPING & "FELLOWSHIPPING"!!! :icon_thumleft:
:icon_sunny: 8)

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rebel. My partner and I have already spent many hours "in the field" working at one of our probable sites in the past few weeks. The daytime temperatures are still in the 70s most days here in central Texas so we must use extreme care when working this site as the snakes are not sleepy yet. The other two sites are simply too dangerous to work at now because the snakes have too many places to hide from eyesight on these locations. I was in contact with Floyd Mann when we first started our work about four years ago but, at this point, we have worked too hard on these three sites to share their exact locations with anyone else. As you can imagine, Rebel, poisonous snakes are not the biggest of our concerns - claimjumpers are. We have permission to be on all of our spots but others are not as law-abiding as we are. :icon_pirat: I do suggest, however, that readers who want to take part in KGC professionally-managed treasure hunts and share in the finds, who don't have nearby prospective treasure sites of their own or who need professional assistance with prospective sites, that they get in touch with Floyd Mann or similar reputable KGC-hunting organizations. I believe Bob Brewer also has or had one such group too. I wholeheartedly endorse both of these men and the organizations they represent. With new information about the KGC coming out all the time, though, one should exercise extreme caution when dealing with anyone else at least until you learn something about them and are satisfied they are on the "up-and-up" because scammers will be flooding the market and will try to steal your information or potential sites from you. Once again, I recommend that everyone interested in pursuing KGC treasures read Bob Brewer's "Rebel Gold" BEFORE committing to do business with any KGC treasure hunting organization. If one is too lazy or uninterested to read this book, he/she can never expect to find a nickel's worth of KGC treasure.
~Texas Jay

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: ;D THANKS, TJ! You are absolutely correct... Bob Brewer, GOLDEN CIRCLE RESEARCH SOCIETY; Floyd Mann, TEAM KGC; and Texas Jay's group... are EXPERIENCED in-the-field
guys... :icon_thumleft: :icon_sunny: 8) (SUNNY in Vriginia). :icon_thumleft:

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
A few volumes by George W. L Bickley

History of the settlement and Indian wars of Tazewell County, Virginia: with ... By George W. L. Bickley
http://books.google.com/books?id=7E...e=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

History Of The Settlement And Indian Wars Of Tazewell County, Virginia: With A Map, Statistical Tabl (Paperback - Jan 2009)
~ George W. L. Bickley (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/History-Settl...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257231328&sr=1-1

Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 Part I and II (Hardcover)
~ Lewis Preston Summers (Author), George W. L. Bickley (Author), Charles B. Coale (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Annals-Southw...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257231328&sr=1-8

Adalaska; or, The strange and mysterious family of the cave of Genreva (Unknown Binding)
~ George W. L Bickley (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Adalaska-stra...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257231328&sr=1-6

Physiological and scientific botany: Being a concise treatise on structural and systematic botanical science (Unknown Binding)
~ George W. L Bickley (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Physiological...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257231328&sr=1-5

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, cccalco, for posting the information about the History Channel program and also these additional writings of Bickley who traditionalist "historians" want everyone to believe was some kind of a nut. I've set my satellite tv to record the Jesse James program as I feel sure I will want to watch it more than just once. Oh yes, and for those who claim the KGC and the Freemasons were not intricately connected, I recommend they read up on Gen. Albert Pike. A quick Internet search will reveal that his books and writings are rare and extremely expensive for older versions.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas Jay said:
Thank you, cccalco, for posting the information about the History Channel program and also these additional writings of Bickley who traditionalist "historians" want everyone to believe was some kind of a nut. I've set my satellite tv to record the Jesse James program as I feel sure I will want to watch it more than just once. Oh yes, and for those who claim the KGC and the Freemasons were not intricately connected, I recommend they read up on Gen. Albert Pike. A quick Internet search will reveal that his books and writings are rare and extremely expensive for older versions.
~Texas Jay

Reminder y'all

Jesse James' Hidden Treasure
"By the time Jesse James was killed in 1882, he'd stolen over a million and a
half dollars according to some estimates--gold, coins and cash that could be
worth over $50 million today. History often paints James as a clever outlaw who
stole money to finance a lavish criminal lifestyle, a man whose sixteen year
long crime spree came to a dramatic halt in 1882 when a fellow gang member
betrayed him and shot him dead in the back of the head. But now, a treasure hunt
may reveal a totally new story. Was Jesse really stealing for himself, or was he
actually secreting away large sums of wealth, in order to finance one of the
most clandestine secret societies in American history? Follow a team of treasure
hunters searching for where he stashed his riches... and a new truth about Jesse
James. Their discoveries may not only re-write the history of why Jesse stole,
it could also raise new questions about his death."
Rating: TVPG
Running Time: 120 minutes
http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=502912

Monday, November 09 08:00 PM
Tuesday, November 10 12:00 AM
Saturday, November 14 05:00 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just finished reading three of Dr. Roy William Roush's books about the Knights of the Golden Circle and highly recommend them to everyone wanting to learn more about this secretive organization, especially after the Civil War.

1) "The Mysterious and Secret Order of the Knights of the Golden Circle" by Roy William Roush, Ph.D., 2005, Published by Front Line Press

2) "Knights of The Golden Circle Treasure Signs" by Roy William Roush, Ph.D., 2006, Published by Front Line Press.

3) "How To Find The Treasures of The Knights of The Golden Circle" by Roy William Roush, Ph.D., 2005, Published by Front Line Press.

http://KnightsoftheGoldenCircle.net

~Texas Jay

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
KGC secret signs, grips, and passwords
KGC Part II
In this section of the article we find the KGC's plan for Mexico and their secret signs, grips, and passwords.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2009
http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2009/12/kgc-part-ii.html
Captain- Under the laws of 2 (Mexico) every emigrant receives 640 acres of land. Under a treaty closed with3 (Manuel Doblado, Governor of Guanajunto) on the 11th of February, 1860, we are invited to colonize in 2 (Mexico) to enable the best people there to establish a permanent government. We agree to introduce a force of 16,000 men, armed, equipped, and provided, and to take the field under command od 3 (Maneul Doblado, Governor of Guanajunto), who agree to furnish an equal number of men to be officered by K.G.C.'s. To cover the original expense of arming our forces, there is mortgaged to our trustees the right to collect one-half the annual revenues of 4 (Guanajunto) until we are paid the sum of $840,000. As a bonus there is also ceded to us 355,000 acres of land. The pay of the army is the same as the regular army of 2 (Mexico) which is about one-eight more than that of the United States. To secure this there is mortgaged to us all the public property of 4 (Guanajunto) amounting to taxable value to $23,000,000. 3 (Manuel Doblado, Governor of Guanajunto) is now there making arrangements for our reception. We shall cross over as soon as possible; after our own national troubles are settled.

We presume that Mexico will feel herself under obligation to us for this exposition of the designs entertained towards her by the Knights of the Golden Circle and their Mexican accomplice the Governor of Guanajunto. We will now add the following from the ritual of the First Degree:

Captain- I will now give you the signs, grips, passwords, and token of the First Degree of the K.G.C.. This degree has a name, which I may now give you - it is the "I" (Knight of the Iron Hand). The first great sign of the Order is thus made, 7 (Hands open, palms touching and resting on top of the head; fingers pointing upwards). The answer to this is 8 (open hands touching shoulder where epaulets are worn, elbows close to the side). These are battle-field signs and are not to be used in ordinary circumstances . The common sign of recognition is 9(right fore-finger drawn across upper lip under nose, as if rubbing). The Answer 10 (with fore-finger and thumb of left hand take hold of left ear). To gain admission to a Working Castle, or room of any KGC, give 11 (one distinct rap) at the door. The Sentinel on duty will then raise the wicket and demand the countersign, which is 12 (SOLDIERS, always lettered except at castle door). You will then pass the centre of the room and give the true sign of the K.G.C. ; it is 13 (left hand on the heart, right hand raised0. This will be recognized by a bow from the Captain. When once take your seat. The sign of assent is 14(both hands up), of dissent is15 (one hand up), the grip is 16 (press with thumb one inch above second knuckle), the token 17 (Golden Circle encasing black hands closed on scroll; the whole to be the size of a dime). Every member may wear the sign of his degree.

And now, reader, you know as much about the signs, grips, tokens, etc., of the Knights of the Golden Circle as they themselves do. We may remark here that the initiation fee for the First Degree is one dollar, for the Second five dollars, and for the Third ten.

At this point we are only 90% through the first of four columns in this article. As you can read it gives a very detailed look into the workings of this super secret society. The rest of the article will give us a look at the Second and Third Degrees. I'll try and post part of this article each day until we are done with it. I have many more I will post over time. I highly recommend going to newspaperarchive.com and paying for the membership. You will find numerous articles about the KGC from the era when they were active. Reading these will give you a perspective that I don't think you will get from those selling books and videos today.
Posted by okie treasure hunter at 8:50 PM

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Bob Brewer's and Warren Getler's book "Rebel Gold", I was finally able
to find the online version of the extremely important "Holt Report" whose actual
name is "A Western Conspiracy in Aid of the Southern Rebellion".

http://www.archive.org/details/reportontheorder02unit

~Texas Jay

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Texas Jay:

I have a book published by Dogwood Press, Rt.2 Box3270, Woodville , Texas, 75979, 409.837.5519 copyright 1994.

The title is Knights of the Golden Circle Treason History, Sons of Liberty, 1864

I'd write out the FULL title shown on the inside title page, but it would just take up too much "ink". :laughing7:

This book includes the Holt Report. I bought it at Wayne's Detector Sales in OKC in the early 1990s. Though I've not read it, I have spot read enough to see that there are a lot of names of people and places that could be researched by local THers for at least good places to metal detect. The US Secret Service agent that wrote the original report was pretty detailed in his observations of names and positions.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Shortstack, for recommending this book. I will definitely try to get a copy of it. You bring up a very valuable tip for all treasure hunters when you state that it has a lot of good places to metal detect. While I know that the KGC buried massive amounts of treasure across this country, the fact that "treasure" is not defined as only being these huge caches but also in Civil War relics and lost coins of the period. For those who want "proof" of large amounts of KGC treasure, they will have to satisfy themselves with the finds of those who have gone public. These include Bob Brewer who has found about $200,000 of this treasure, Michael Griffith who found a Wells Fargo safe of KGC treasure, and Ron Pastore who has so far found a crudely smelted gold bar and gold and silver coins and who is, in my opinion, on his way to recovering the first KGC depository that has been made public. They can believe these people or not. It doesn't matter to me. If they are waiting for me to go public with what my partner and I have found so far, they will be waiting a very long time. :icon_pirat:
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No study of the Knights of the Golden Circle is complete without one reading this book which was the first book I read about this secretive organization and the massive amounts of treasure they buried in the U.S.

"Rebel Gold" by Warren Getler and Bob Brewer, pubished in 2005 by Simon & Schuster Paperbacks.

~Texas Jay

Attachments

• RebelGold.jpg
    RebelGold.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,205

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Library program - Knights of the Golden Circle
Waynesville, Ohio

"Mary L. Cook Public Library
The latest library news on upcoming programs, events and books from the Mary L. Cook Public Library,
Waynesville, Ohio.
THURSDAY
Rootfinders Genealogy Group Meeting
January 9, 2010
10:00 a.m.

Linda Swartzel will present a very clandestine program on a little known secret society
The Knights of the Golden Circle.

Drop by for this program and join a really great group. Remember to bring a food item to share!"

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
A Short Life of Abraham Lincoln
Condensed from Nicolay & Hay's Abraham Lincoln: A History
Published October, 1902
Author: John G. Nicolay - 1832-1901

Excerpt

"Though Vallandigham and the Democrats of his type were unable to prevent or even delay the draft, they yet managed to enlist the sympathies and secure the adhesion of many uneducated and unthinking men by means of secret societies, known as "Knights of the Golden Circle," "The Order of American Knights," "Order of the Star," "Sons of Liberty," and by other equally high-sounding names, which they adopted and discarded in turn, as one after the other was discovered and brought into undesired prominence. The titles and grips and passwords of these secret military organizations, the turgid eloquence of their meetings, and the clandestine drill of their oath-bound members, doubtless exercised quite as much fascination on such followers as their unlawful object of aiding and abetting the Southern cause. The number of men thus enlisted in the work of inducing desertion among Union soldiers, fomenting resistance to the draft, furnishing the Confederates with arms, and conspiring to establish a Northwestern Confederacy in full accord with the South, which formed the ultimate dream of their leaders, is hard to determine. Vallandigham, the real head of the movement, claimed five hundred thousand, and Judge Holt, in an official report, adopted that as being somewhere near the truth, though others counted them at a full million."

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Testament: A Soldier's Story of the Civil War
by Benson Bobrick

Excerpt from Chapter Eight

"....were known as Peace Democrats or, less kindly, Copperheads, after the venomous snake. Some rejected the epithet as a slander; others took pride in the name and wore on their lapels the goddess Liberty cut from copper pennies, to give it a patriotic twist. Their slogan was, "The Constitution as it is and the Union as it was." They saw the war as a failure, creating unbridgeable hatred between the sections and futilely spilling blood.

The more militant Copperheads were of a different stripe. Though often mingled with the moderates, they were a seditious "third column" in the Union's midst.
Many belonged to a secret society known as the Knights of the Golden Circle (later, the Order of American Knights and the Sons of Liberty), established satellite "lodges" or "castles" in various towns and cities, and, sometimes under the guise of constitutional concerns, fomented opposition to the war. But their real agenda was threefold: the perpetuation of slavery, its extension into Central and South America, and military victory for the South.

Unrest in the North culminated in the antidraft riots of 1863. On July 14, two days after the first drawing in New York, crowds of workmen, most belonging to the Irish poor, poured into the streets shouting "Down with the rich men" and "We'll hang Horace Greeley on a sour apple tree." As the mob surged up Third Avenue, it tore down lampposts, ransacked mansions, and, coming to the induction center, ripped up the census lists and smashed the lottery wheel. Then the building itself was set on fire. Before long, the violence turned into a race riot, and over the next few days mobs attacked blacks at random, looted the Second Avenue Armory, destroyed the offices of Greeley's pro-war Tribune, and razed a black orphanage to the ground. For two days control of the city remained in the vandals' hands until Federal troops, straight from the Gettysburg carnage, arrived to restore elected rule. Sharpshooters were perched on rooftops; cannon swept the streets. When it was all over, a thousand lay dead.

Disorder erupted elsewhere throughout the North and Midwest, including Coles County, where the Knights of the Golden Circle had a lodge. There Copperheads built up a hidden cache of arms that included a small cannon and even met for military drill. They made threats against local Republicans, provoked fights with soldiers on leave, and in some cases ominously marked the houses of their opponents with a circled K, the emblem of their clan. In Paradise, Charleston, Mattoon, and other towns there were various reprisal killings, followed, in March 1864, by the so-called Charleston Riot that left twenty-one dead and wounded, most of them Union troops."

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
SEVENTH STAR OF THE CONFEDERACY -- Book Review
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2010
http://thesouthsdefender.blogspot.com/2010/02/seventh-star-of-confederacy-book-review.html

This book is a group of essays that cover all aspects of the War For Southern Independence in Texas. Chapters cover the secession of Texas, the role played by the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) in the pre-war secession movement and the seizure of U.S. Army property in San Antonio early in the war, the various military operations and the social and cultural aspects of the war in Texas.

On February 1, 1861, delegates at the Texas Secession Convention elected to leave the Union. The people of Texas supported the actions of the convention in a statewide referendum, paving the way for the state to secede and to officially become the seventh state in the Confederacy. Soon the Texans found themselves engaged in a bloody and prolonged civil war against their northern brethren. During the course of this war, the lives of thousands of Texans, both young and old, were changed forever.

The book is edited by Kenneth W. Howell, assistant professor at Prairie View A&M University.

The chapters are written by some of the best historians on the Trans-Mississippi, including Alwyn Barr, Archie P. McDonald, James M. Smallwood, Linda S. Hudson, John W. Gorman, Mary Jo O'Rear, Donald Willett, Edward T. Cotham Jr., Charles D. Spurlin, Charles D. Grear, Gary D. Joiner, Kenneth E. Hendrickson Jr., Vicki Betts, Ronald E. Goodwin and Bruce A. Glasrud, Carol Taylor, and Bill Stein.

The chapter by Linda Hudson on the KGC's role in secession and early war military actions was fascinating and very illuminating. I also particularly enjoyed the chapters by Edward Cotham on the battles of Galveston and Sabine Pass, and Gary Joiner's on the Texas Cavalry in the Red River Campaign.

The Seventh Star of the Confederacy: Texas During the Civil War; University of North Texas Press, Denton, Texas, www.unt.edu/untpress, $34.95.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread