d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright guys and gals, put your thinking caps on and tell me what ya'll think. Do you reckin it is as self explanatory as it seems? What do all the lines mean and what is that down at the bottom? Also should I be walking 215 degrees untill I come across another sign or something out of place and then start walking east? What is the purpose of the lines?...d2

Attachments

• MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,582

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
the paralell lines could be distance measurements. or a dry creek bed..the last line is crossed with the arrow pointing down. this also looks like a spade which means dig here......the bottom most symbol i can't tell but looks like a cross with 4 spots marked around it, and a circle to the right... possibly area marked by 4 trees or rocks,,,,,,the '' 215 sw L K Lee....notice the letters.. the two E's on Lee are perfect while all other letters are kind of rough or irregular looking....Not sure what this might mean but most likely something.....on the numbers 186E,,,,the E looks to be a backward 3,,,,this would mean all or part of the directions are backward, or the opposite of what you see on the tree....i would start by trying the opposite of 215 degrees, to a dry creek then possibly another 186 ft or paces, looking for 4 tree or rock markers....or at dry creek 186 ft or paces west....if no luck switch the coordinates......it definantly looks like it would be worth the effort to figure it out......maybe someone can help you with the cross symbol at bottom, which may help......gldhntr

Y

yurt_boy

In what direction were you facing when you took the picture?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
looking at a pendant that is exactly like your cross, with the exception that the line pointing down seems a little longer than your carving.. it has the 4 surrounding crosses, and otherwise is exactly what you have,,,,,,here is something that may or may not help,,,,it is the explanation of the cross and where it originated..........The Jerusalem Cross, also known as the Crusaders Cross and the Five-Fold Cross, is comprised of Greek and Tau crosses. Four Tau crosses meet in the center creating a Greek cross. Four additional Greek crosses, one in each corner, make a total of five crosses. The symbolism of the five crosses has been explained in a variety of ways. The five crosses represent the five wounds Jesus received on the cross. The large center cross represents the wound in Jesus side while the four smaller crosses represent the wounds he received in his hands and feet. The large center cross represents Jesus and the four smaller crosses represent the four Gospel writers. The four smaller crosses represent the four corners of the earth to which the gospel is being taken or for which Jesus died. The five crosses represent the five nations active in the Crusades: Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. The five crosses represent the five principalities of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. The Jerusalem Cross was employed as an emblem by the Crusaders. Godfrey de Bouillon, who became the first ruler of Jerusalem after it was captured from the Moslems in 1099, wore the Jerusalem Cross as his symbol. ...................gldhntr

Old Prospector

Feb 17, 2005
Newbie.... My suggestion; at first, take the indicators at face value and try them. If that doesn't work,
you can try other things later. The crooked line pointing with an arrow tip: I would take the five horizontal
lines to mean "rods", a common surveyors measure. The KGC used surveyors. The 186? The funny
looking or reverse three could be a clue the signs on the tree are reversed, but I would still take 1863 (?)
as a date. Dates right under names is common in tree carvings. What bothers me is the symbol right under
the "O" and "R". It looks like a box on three legs. Just to the right, very faint, is a "+" symbol. I have
no idea on the box. My guess, follow the trail with a metal detector and find five rods buried near the
surface. After that, going by the length of the next arrow, from the last rod to the site is about the
same distance you have already covered. There will not be any more rods in the ground. (The rods in
the ground could be spaced 16 feet, 66 feet, 100 feet, 200 feet, or 300 feet. Find the first two and
you will have the basic distance.) The bottom symbol; looks like you will find 4 rocks. Buried in the center
will be a rod and a key. What you seek is buried under the key and rod. Good luck. If you find something,
tell me you found something, just don't say what it is you found. What other people don't know, they
can't talk about. But success is contagious and I would love to catch it from you. Old Prospector.

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
HI;
Just a thought, but does that beech<I am assuming it is a beech>look to be 146 years old and do you think that the directions are sort of close to the bottom of the tree?If they were placed there 142 years ago they would have really been low on the tree.finally, why would the kgc use the spanish word for gold. They were ,for the most part educated and their confusing directions were much more elaborate.As I said ,just a thought.Bob

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not found anything yet, but I plan on looking later this week. Thanks for all of ya'lls help with the clues and such.
The tree is to big around for one person to reach around it. The word "ORO" is about 6.5 feet above the ground and it is in the same place it was carved in. Trees grow from the top and not up out of the ground. The chest looking thing I think is a small pot. It may be a chest but I was thinking maybe it was a small cast iron pot that one would use to cook in. It looks, to me, like a wash pot and they have 3 legs on them but I cant believe it would be a wash pot full of gold. A small one maybe but surely not a big one. Guys I really do appreciate all the help and if it turns out that I find anything I will let ya'll know somehow with out spillin' the beans. Thanks again and if you come up with anything else please let me know...d2

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck, just finished reading abook about the kgc..they did write alot of things with meaning the oppsiste of what ya see...oro could be someones initials....i will have to look in my book see if there is a mention of someone with those initials...gregg...good luck...HH

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because of the way beech trees heal scars or marks will last a long long time. It has something to do with how the bark heals after a scar or mark. I know of one in SW ARK. that was carved on by Jim Bowie befor the Alamo and it was still legible years after it was carved though it was sorta hard to read. I did not see it but did see the picture, it was neat...d2

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
That looks fairly fresh. I used to carve initials, etc. in trees at home when I was a kid, and it was all pretty grown over after 25 years. You could see the marks, but they were definitely grown in.

I agree... someone is having a joke at your expense.

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
i have seen chinese writing on aspen trees in nevada...yes nevada has trees.....the writing apears worn but it is plain to see that it was writen by chinese miners in the late 1800's...so keep looking you never know.
just my two cents
lgp

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
my two cents, follow the gunmans advice......i have seen beeches aged that while they looked to be less than 75-80 yrs old, they were near twice that old.....the carvings on them looked alot newer also, but research has proved them to be as old as the dates carved in them, which was almost three times the age they looked to be...................gldhntr

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is clearly an attempt to make the finder go on a treasure hunt. If I were you I would check the immediate vicinity of the tree, which itself is the location. What map ever tells you what you are looking for?

If the 3 is backwards, maybe "oro" is too.

R

rich zac

d2 said:
Alright guys and gals, put your thinking caps on and tell me what ya'll think. Do you reckin it is as self explanatory as it seems? What do all the lines mean and what is that down at the bottom? Also should I be walking 215 degrees until I come across another sign or something out of place and then start walking east? What is the purpose of the lines?...d2
the ORO is gold in Spanish three legs of a kettle that hold the gold the arrow points the direction to go 215 paces or feet just have to do both to see if you get a hit on metal detector s w looks like snake in a striking position the is a valley or a creek l k lee is Latin measurement of the gold 186 e is a change in direction 186 paces at that point sh now be four large stones.one line is 33 1/3 inches you double this for each double line so you its is 333 1/3 inches or 28 feet now that be the depth its buried or when you dig after 186 paces you found the shovel and a piece of steel shape like a snake the head points to treasure 28 feet away just some research

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any update on this potential treasure?

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
Hi all ,1st off you shouldnt chalk your images it can take away from what your looking at, as you notice there seems to be a rock right next to the tree it looks to be carved, if ya have more photo's , post them, goodluck on the treasure trail, tammahawk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread