If You Had Total Freedom To Hunt Anywhere--Where Would You Hunt?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ecdonovan said:
It all depends on your personal view of right and wrong.

And your personal view depends on whether you're a Loyalist or Colonialist. The Loyalist basically said we should submit to the British since they're our authority - even if you don't agree with them. The Colonialist said to hell with long distance authority - we can govern ourselves. And fought for the right to do so.

So - should we obey our gov't today? The Bible says we should obey our authorities, yet God clearly wiped out existing countries ruled by kings and Jesus regularly broke the laws of the existing authorties. I'm not trying to pick a fight - religious or otherwise - just making the point. Again - depends on whether you're a loyalist or colonialist. Most people are probably not at either extreme. I don't believe in anarchy - we need structure and order that gov't provides. But I certainly can't stand a bunch of bureaucrats who waste millions (billions?) of taxdollars and tell me I have to wear a seatbelt or whether or not I can detect on "their" land.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes... :P

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
any of the civil war sites would be great. the lawn of the white house and the islands and waters of boston harbour
also around the alamo and being able to dig the signal they got in the street in front of it a few years ago would be great

also the battlesites for lexington and concord

and all of mel fishers lease areas

so many places so little time
question if we can detect any where we want will we be supplied with any detectors we want???

as for nighthawks do not confront just call the police

HH Vrent

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
For one, most museum curators are some of the worst packrats! They don't know what to do with all the stuff in inventory-that's why they occasionally sell the stuff off to private collectors so they can have room for more stuff!
Nighthawks I'm sure do what they do for money or at the very least to "beat the system".

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I wouldnt mind hunting around the very first sites of America like Plymouth Rock,Roanoke Island, ect. And I dont even know if their off limits.
Dano.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v Always Wonderd about Plymouth Rock Also.

Or At least the Vacinity

K

Kentucky Kache

I'll take Jamestown colony. That's where my ancestors were, so maybe I could find some personal treasure.

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Fort Monroe, Richmond/Petersburg battlefields, Yorktown

I'm still confused on the battlefields comments as to being off limits. Should all battlefields be off limits - even those now private property? As goldhunter said, most battlefields even the major ones cover land that is under private ownership that folks, if they get a fortunate yes from landowner can hunt. Most of the major battlefields were detected (with NPS knowledge) sometime into the mid-60s. Not saying everything is gone but there's probably not as much there as everyone would expect - additionally both soldiers and civilians would gather battlefield finds immediately after the conflict.

Have gone night hunting (with permission) 1) when time didn't permit during the day and 2) when detecting during the day would pose too great a risk of opening the property up to detectorists w/o permission. Nothing like a full moon, starlit sky, 25 degrees and CW relics popping out of the ground.

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
::)
zeb... you're so right. and since none of that stuff matters,
i'll send ya me address to mail me all your gold, silver and jewels! :P

jk... i know what ya meant, just couldn't resist the comment! :D

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
First off if you guys want to find civil war stuff..look at the training camps leftover from civil war.
Training camps arent protected and they are full of stuff. A simple Google search will point you in the right direction.

T

tallpaul

id hunt stone henge,, but that place is well off limits,, its the same here in england guys,, stupid rules 1 for us and 1 for them,, archies get away with tearing the ground up good style,, they move diggers in here, and dig deep as hell, all we do is dig a little hole remove the coin ect and place the turf back, never know we've been, but hey when the archies are there you sure know they've been,. you know the archies get paid very little here in England, and they get jealouse of mders getting the coin,, that too plays a part in there hatred towards us,, but i can only state that in my country,. we have night hawkers, here, they sneak on fields in the night were they've heard there is finds and collect some, so the archies dont get em all, i personnaly say good luck to em in a way, there not doing any harm, its not stealing the stuff was allready lost,, just waiting to be found by someone,., they want ban mding,, as they know everybody would then night hawk, as the passion is too great for us,, so that would cause them a extra large problem,.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Mediteranean Sea off the coast of Tripoli, Libya. It's crystal clear and you can read a newspaper at 30' on a calm day and no tides to deal with as it lies east to west or vice versa. I was there in the late sixties and there was lots of old Roman artifacts and WWII military armament. They were always exploding a foud WWII bomb just off the swimmig beach. Also there is a coral reef out about a hundred yards and the water is waist deep. You can stand up on the reef and dive the sites either side of it, about 10 ft. on the land side and 30' and deeper on the seaside. Never thought of it until now but millions of GIs have used the beach over the past 100+ years. "From the halls of Montazuma to the shores of Tripoli"..........Pirates fought off by the US Marines back a hundred or more years ago.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
In the Mediteranean Sea off the coast of Tripoli, Libya.? It's crystal clear and you can read a newspaper at 30' on a calm day and no tides to deal with as it lies east to west or vice versa.? I was there in the late sixties and there was lots of old Roman artifacts and WWII military armament.? They were always exploding a foud WWII bomb just off the swimmig beach.? Also there is a coral reef out about a hundred yards and the water is waist deep.? You can stand up on the reef and dive the sites either side of it, about 10 ft. on the land side and 30' and deeper on the seaside.? ? Never thought of it until now but millions of GIs have used the beach over the past 100+ years. "From the halls of Montazuma to the shores of Tripoli"..........Pirates fought off by the US Marines back a hundred or more years ago.

I have to agree, Monty. I've often thought of that area myself.

A while back I had a chance to get a large cannon ball I believe a diver found there. I'm still kicking myself for not taking it.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take a whirlwind tour of all the wild west ghost towns and abandoned mining camps. Or maybe Port Royal, Tortuga or even Dunkerque for pirate booty. But then again, wasn't Blackbeard a resident of Bath, NC?? That's even closer!

O

Oddfello

I travel down to my brothers in Va. from my home here in Pa, once or twice a year and would just love to stop and hunt all those places I see on the way like Fort Fredrick and the multitude of CW battlefields on the way. He hunts as well and we often talk about all the things that will just rot in the ground in those places never to be seen by us. He lives and works in the Tech sector of Va and it's a shame that many of the old sites there are being turned over to developers and paved over. Such great pieces of history never to be seen.

That aside and more treasue-hunting then MDing I would love to be able to hunt and explore along WWII supply routes in the Atlantic. The amount of stuff lying at the bottom of the ocean in U-Boat hunting grounds is mind-boggling.

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Gee where do I start I live in Virginia.Lets see there's Yorktown Battlefirld........and so on down the list of Battlefields. I have a buddy that works in the grounds dept at Yorktown. He said they catch people all the time and it is a very large fine. Besides there are plenty of non protected battlefields around here. So lets keep it legal please. Rather we agree or not.

Attachments

• yorktown.jpg
    yorktown.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 651

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions