Primary Interest:
Other

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Zeb,
To the best of my knowledge, their "patent" finally ran out and they had to quit hunting. Nothing of any magnitude was found, certainly not the way to the "River of Gold"
I am a firm believer that it is there (too many people knew Dorr to be an honest man for this all to be hogwash) but the folks hunting for it are going about it all wrong! (my opinion)
I think the 'key' is up along the Nevada border at the "sink" where the rivers disappear.
Kokoweef was one of the places I said I'd like to hunt if I had three month and the right equipment. Including the right pards to side me and a hell of a good lawyer to help me with the Government and the Courts.

grizzly bare

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were still working the area and the patent is still enforce.

Not trying to be argumentative but we have had about every piece of equipment know to man down there to help in our search.

We have geologist, semismentaligist, mineralogist, hard rock miners, placer miners, spelunkers, surveyors, heavy equipment operators and a few jacks of all trades amongst our members.

Along with a few soothsayers, clairvoyants and diviner's. (can't leave them out)

So if you know something we don't, and can find the time, come on out. I would like nothing better then to be able to retire.

Besides that we are always looking for volunteers.

Oh and we have a handle on the fish, fur and tortoise people, the Bureaucrates of Land Mismanagement as well as the Forest Circus folks, so leave your attorney at home. ;D (and people wonder why we ask for donations) ::)

We may have not found any thing yet but as for myself I have had a life time full of adventure and experience in the time I have spent down there working and learning.

I have got to do things that most people only dream about doing.

That can be a treasure upon it's self.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
LV Bob,
Have I been caught with my foot in my mouth!(Maybe both feet)
I thought that your time limit had expired. Obviously I'm wrong. Extremely sorry that I spoke out of turn.
As far as you guys looking for the gold in the wrong way, I still think that if you went up to the Cal/Nev border where the rivers run in but don't run out(underground river seems like a good idea) that you could place pingers in the water and track them with surface or air receivers and determine where the water runs. If you could track a sender(pinger) to a specific spot then you could drill and send down a camera. Heck, several of the folks on the dowsing forum should be able to tell you where to drill that test well without sending in the electronics.
Again, sorry I counted you out before your time. Keep hunting. You're right, the profit is in the fun.

grizzly bare (AKA He Who Talks With Foot In Mouth)

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grizz no need to apologize.

No big deal.

As far as any rivers on the Cal/NV border near where the peak is located there are none that run on the surface. Kokoweef Peak sets just a few miles past said border.

The only river that I know that eventually runs under ground is the Amagrosa in Death Valley which is a few hundred miles North of Kokoweef. And because it contains the endangered "pupfish" you are barely allowed to look at it.

The Devils Hole, which is a water filled sink hole, also located near Death Valley is also off limits to any scuba diving and or exploration because of these same filthy fish.

As far as drilling holes and sending in cameras we have been doing that for years now. Some of the holes proved very interesting. They would enter some relay big vugs.

In some holes we could not pump in enough water to keep the drill cooled. The water loss was total and we would lose the steel. Even when we pumped in drillers mud we still lost the water as well as the mud.

Normally you get a constant blow back of water coming out of the hole your drilling and you can gauge by the water color what kind of rock your drilling through.

In some case's the holes were known to breath. By breath I mean that if you would hold a lighter up to them the lighters flame would either be drawn towards the hole or away from the hole. This action and the direction of the flame was determined by the time of day you tried the experiment.

But Kokoweef is a mountain full of vugs and interconnecting faults. It was a wet cave at one time evidenced by the stalactites and stalagmites and vast areas of dried mud which we find in certain areas.

And as far as Diviners go we have had our share of them. Both working on the surface and under ground in our tunnels. The ones on the surface seem to do better then the ones that tried to divine in the tunnels. Myself I think the ones in the tunnels were put off by the vast amount of static electricity that is contained in the tunnel walls.

I remember one time I was stringing work lights in a new section of tunnel the generators were off and I was working just with my mining light as a light source. I was on a metal ladder which was leaning against the tunnel wall and at one point my bare arm came in contact with the tunnel wall while I had hold off a metal bulb cage and the wire in the other hand. I took a jolt that you would not believe.

We have heard the sounds of large rocks falling while working in the mine with no equipment running. This is not a sound you like to hear 1200 feet under ground.

Upon checking the tunnels we found no evidence of a rock slide or a fall.

Which would only let one to believe that the rock fall was within the walls some where in the darkness.

Maybe within the ever elusive cavern that we are searching for.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Hay! BOB!
I once worked for Magma Copper Co., Superior, AZ.
WE were at 5000', :-\
AND!
That is NOT! below the mountain !
That was below the main Drift! :P
Down there, you can hear a constant "Freight Train" !
That! Was the sound of movement, The Earth WAS moving !
Something a 21 yr College Student, ;D didn't want to hear or, even know about !
After two years, when I went back to College, I changed my Major from Geology to Aeronautics !

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If I may jump in here in minute, I've been extremely interested in the Kokoweef Peak project since I first obtained that video "The Search for America's Great Treasures" Vol. II.

Please help me out here with the following:

1. Who is Las Vegas Bob? I mean, who is he in regard to the original team as in the 1995 video presentation?

2. What ever happened to Larry Hahn and William Herkert? Are they still involved in the project?

3. Have any newer videos been produced for this project?

4. Are there any projections as to when the work may be completed?

Thanks much and in behalf of all who will read this I thank you! (whomever).

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zeb said:
If I may jump in here in minute, I've been extremely interested in the Kokoweef Peak project since I first obtained that video "The Search for America's Great Treasures" Vol. II.

1. Who is Las Vegas Bob? I mean, who is he in regard to the original team as in the 1995 video presentation?

Thats me...............Due to mining interest in another state I was not present when said video was shot....

I visited the Kokoweef in the mid 70's when the only access to the the cavern system (the entrance used by Dorr) was a climb down an eighty foot chain ladder. There you could see his name smoked on the wall near a massive rock fall. Since that time several tunnels have been cut to reach that same area. I became an active member of the Kokoweef crew in the late 1980's. I have helped map, drill, blast and muck out several hundred feet of new tunnels as well as taking part in seismology surveys. I have participated in the drilling holes to run cameras into various areas of the tunnels that peaked our interest.....I have helped with construction projects involving the camp as well.

All my work, as with many others involved was all voluntary...........I am there for the experience, the fun, the adventure and of course to strike it rich if and when we hit the river.

2. What ever happened to Larry Hahn and William Herkert? Are they still involved in the project?

Larry Hahn is still active and still runs the operation. Bill died several years ago.

No.

By work I can only assume you mean the exploration of the area.

We are looking for something that is lost inside a vast mountain that is extremely cavernous, this was a wet cave system in the middle of the desert. The area's we have explored are now dry and no longer actively growing.. Although we have run across large deposits of wet mud/clay material in some of areas. There is no active water flowing in the areas we have explored.

In fact we have to haul all of our water into the area by tanker truck, from commercially operated mine near by. The water we haul in is for the camp use and for drilling.

As far as when it will the work may be completed...........................When we find what we are looking for.

I hope my answers were sufficient.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Las Vegas Bob said:
Zeb said:

Thats me...............Due to mining interest in another state I was not present when said video was shot....

I visited the Kokoweef in the mid 70's? when the only access to the the cavern system (the entrance used by Dorr) was a climb down an eighty foot chain ladder.? There you could see his name smoked on the wall near a massive rock fall.? ? Since that time several tunnels? have been cut to reach that same? area.? ? I? became an active member of the Kokoweef crew in the late 1980's.? I have helped map, drill,? blast and muck out several hundred feet of new tunnels? as well as taking part in seismology surveys.? I have? participated in the drilling holes to run cameras into various areas of the tunnels that peaked our interest.....I have helped with construction projects involving the camp as well.

All my work, as with many others involved was all voluntary...........I am? there for the experience, the fun, the adventure and of course to strike it rich if and when we hit the river.?

Larry Hahn is still active and still runs the operation.? Bill died several years ago.

No.

By work I can only assume you mean the exploration of the area.

We are looking for something that is lost inside a vast mountain that is extremely cavernous, this was a wet cave system in the middle of the desert.? The area's we have explored are now dry and no longer actively growing..? Although we have run across large deposits of wet mud/clay? material in some of areas.? There is no active water flowing? in the areas we have explored.

In fact we have to haul all of our water into the area by tanker truck,? from? commercially operated mine near by.? The water we haul in is for the camp use and for drilling.

As far as when it will the work may be completed...........................When we find what we are looking for.

I hope my answers were sufficient.

WOW!

Thanks much, LVB

I've watched that old Kokoweef video so many times I almost feel like I'm there.

The information you shared makes the whole story far more interesting as things stand today.

I hope sometime soon a new updated film can be made.

Best to you.

Zeb

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I could help you Zeb.

I know of no plans of anyone making another video of the area. But thats not to say it wouldn't happen some day.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Take care and have a good day.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Las Vegas Bob said:
Glad I could help you Zeb.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Is there a web site dedicated to the exploration work? It would be great to see photos of the current workers and read reports on the progress.

Thanks,

Zeb

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Zeb

Actually I have thought about doing the web site regarding Kokoweef.

There is or was a news letter being published, I'll contact Larry and see if they are still available.?

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chellyp said:
What is a vug?? ???

It's a cavity in the rock.?

Where trapped gas or some other process has formed a bubble like space.?

A hollow Geode could be used as an example of a vug.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Las Vegas Bob said:
Hi Zeb

Actually I have thought about doing the web site regarding Kokoweef.

There is or was a news letter being published,? I'll contact Larry and see if they are still available.?

Great! Let me (us) know if and when a web site is made.

Also, how actuate was the 1985 film reenactment of the background story of your site?

Sometimes filmmakers take great artistic license.? The same group who did the filming of your story also did the Pajarito range, Cerro Ruido legion. I have often wondered where they got their information for that script? It sure was a totally different account than that which Wallace gave back in 45.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Zeb

It's pretty much the same.

I can't remember all the names of the players without going into some material I have, but if I remember right the wallaces bought the whole thing from the people that ran the Crystal Cave Mining company for $5000.00 back in the 1939 or there abouts. I believe there were a total of 15 mining claims involved in the deal.

$5000.00 back then was like a million bucks today and I hear there was a court battle over the deal because the people that owned the property never thought the wallaces could come up with that kind of money.

The Crystal Cave Mining company was formed back in 1936

BTW I stopped by and spoke to Larry Hahn and right now there are no bulletins available.

And i'll consider what kind of time I have to devote to starting up a website for posting updates etc.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The website would be great. It wouldn't need be elaborate. You could even use one of the free sites and just post pictures and maybe include a guestbook.

Heck, you could probably make some sideline money selling rocks from inside the tunnel. Hey, don't laugh--I have relatives living up in Grayling, Michigan, the hometown of the famous late Fred Bear (the archery expert of the 60's), and when they torn down his old shop they sold the bricks on ebay!

Run this by Larry :P

I look forward to seeing your website? ;)

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Zeb

Rocks would be a good idea, but the feds frown on selling any thing along the lines of stalactites and stalagmites and basically anything found in a natural cave.

Heck I could not even remove river rock from a placer mining claim I once had. In fact the good folks in the United States Forest Circus wouldn't even let me collect sugar pine cones (you know the real big ones) on the claim.

It seems that they are afraid that you might make a dollar on something.

Just one more freedom down the tubes.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Las Vegas Bob said:
Hi Zeb

Rocks would be a? good idea,? but the feds frown on selling any thing along the lines of stalactites and stalagmites and basically anything found in a natural cave.

Heck I could not even remove river rock from a placer mining claim I once had.? In fact the good folks in the United States Forest Circus wouldn't even let me collect sugar pine cones (you know the real big ones) on the claim.?

It seems that they are afraid that you might make a dollar on something.

Just one more freedom down the tubes.

I know what you mean, LVB, here in Michigan we have hundreds of shipwrecks littered all over the floor of Lakes Michigan and Superior. In fact, they?re not even sure how many are out there. The estimate is that only a tiny fraction have been located.

Anyway, all Great Lakes shipwrecks are off-limits. The state will prosecute anyone caught removing artifacts from any known or unknown site. They have limitless taxpayer monies to blow on legal expenses and the poor salvors have to pay out of their own pockets. All of this in spite of the Atocha ruling.

The thinking is, keep those shipwrecks down there at 180 to 200 ft so the ?majority? can enjoy them. Now doesn?t that make sense? The majority turns out to be a hand full of experienced wealthy divers who are capable of doing those depths. Everyone else has to view amateur poorly done videos that are almost worthless.

Meanwhile the underwater currents are washing these ships apart more and more each day so eventually they?ll be totally lost to everyone forever!

Well, that?s government for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread