Old Shaft Unearthed in Anza-Borrego Desert!!

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I think is a Death Trap. It hangs above and to the right of the cut in the hillside. Some of the rocks in the formation fit together too well. I can't find the trip for it. Not going into the main shaft until I either feel sure this is NOT a death trap, or until I can figure how to trip it and redirect the trap boulder.

The second pic is a close-up of the X in the side of the trap boulder and the balance rocks. See how well they fit together!

Attachments

• Death Trap1small.jpg
    Death Trap1small.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5,201
  • death trap 1 small x.jpg
    death trap 1 small x.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 5,286
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a close-up of the rear top rock that looks cut to fit something.

Attachments

• death trap 1 small formed.jpg
    death trap 1 small formed.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5,265
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MontanaFree said:
One of the nicest photo groups posted showing you found something.

Think these are nice. Wait until I feel comfortable posting the rest of the monument pics I have of this area. Some of them are unbelieveable! When you see these things near the top of a 4000 foot mountain peak that looks near impossible to bring horses up, makes you wonder how they could balance a 2-3 ton boulder atop a small base rock (OK,OK, I'll post this one too).

This one is near the top of a 3200 foot peak. The pointer rock guides you over the top of the ridgeline to another monument on the other side that is equally amazing!

Attachments

• Pointer 1 small.jpg
    Pointer 1 small.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,350
  • Pointer Rock 1b small .jpg
    Pointer Rock 1b small .jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 5,190
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=gollum

The second pic is a close-up of the X in the side of the trap boulder and the balance rocks. See how well they fit together!

HI , missed the "X" or "+", food for thought.

Til Eulenspiegle

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollum,
I have been making frequent trips into Borrego and would be happy to stand guard for you while you explore the tunnel. I don't need any treasure, but I'm sure you would like to have someone around to call for help if needed or contact next of kin. I can bring some 2-ways and perhaps other equipment.

My engineering background might be useful in disarming any deathtraps.

Just interested...
BobinSD

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bob. Not just yet. I have friends saying the same thing all the time. As far as the Death Trap, I'm not 100% sure it is yet, but am very wary because of where it hovers over.

If it is a Death Trap, they are never THAT hard to figure out. Just difficult to get above it, rapell down, and spend some quality time finding the trip rock. Worst case scenario, just kick out some of the balance rocks while belayed from above. Watch the whole thing come down and see what pops up next! I would like to get behind the big rectangular support boulder. Maybe it covers up a Pozo (Mine Vent Shaft), or a smaller shaft. I'll be out there tomorrow, and post tomorrow night. Maybe even put up some more pics!

"I (State My Name), being of sound mind and body, do hereby leave my Beanie Baby collection to Til Eulenspiegle. I leave my Cabbage Patch kids to Cpt. Bill (He can sell the birth certificates to illegal aliens). ;D "

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Hay! Gollum:
Don't go in there until I get there!
I have a Media Contact, "Hearst Newspapers", 8) who would like to photo the expedition!
::) I'll be there in May !
Where can we meet ? ???

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here's the latest update; The Death Trap may be part of a larger one that was tripped previously, and this section failed to fall. The big boulder that blocks the cut, and another one that fell on top of it look like they came from the same section of cliff as the remaining rocks in my pics. Basically, this means that I'm still not sure about the Death Trap part.

The shaft will require a lot more digging out before I'll be able to enter the main shaft.

I have an electric RC Rock Crawler with mounted camera. I'll send it in to see if it looks worth the effort. I actually have two, but one is too big for the final five or so feet before the main shaft.

Thanks for the offer Capt. Bill, but no official pics until I've thoroughly been through it and seen all it has to offer. I've been crawling in hidden holes ever since I was a little kid. I am anti-claustrophobic. If something looks promising, I have a local pro TH'er who will come along and keep an eye out for me. He stays busy right now on a dig in AZ, so I don't bother him until it's absolutely necessary.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=gollum
"I (State My Name), being of sound mind and body, do hereby leave my Beanie Baby collection to Til Eulenspiegle. ). ;D "

A) gosh, not even in my wildest dreams did I consider this, snifff, thanks.

All that I ask in addition, is to let me know when you intend to go back so that I can establish an irontight alibi just in
case Sossi decides to accelerate his endowment.

Till Eulenspiegle

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JudyH said:
I know you're out there, Gollum..... 8)...I saw your post on another topic today. So come on....give us the goods... ;D. The anticipation is killing me. LOL.

Judy

Yes, I'm here. Nothing spectacular to report yet, but I have found some more interesting things. I'm going back out in a couple of days to chase down something I saw in a pic, but didn't see when I was out there last time. I'll post again this week with some more pics.

Sometimes I really kind of wish I hadn't found anything out there, as it is a 300 mile round trip from home. If I don't turn anything up this year, or if I get to the end and find someone has already gotten there before me, I might throw together a book and a website about the adventure. I've never seen anything in print about the Anza-Borrego Desert other than a book about dinosaur fossils. If I find anything good, I'll probably just drop off the face of the earth for a while! ;) ;D

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JudyH said:
Thanks for the update....can't wait to see the new pics. And don't you dare drop off the face of the earth....this is the best new discovery that I've seen in the recent world of cache hunting. The best sites are the ones that don't appear in print....since I believe most of the published sites are now empty.. ;)...or they wouldn't be published.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you......

Judy

Thanks! I was just out there today. Still no big score, but I've been chasing this thing down for a looooooooong time now, and I know patience. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

treasure minder

Mar 18, 2006
Gollum

Try a google search on this name

JUDGE JOESPH CRATER

The missing New York state supreme Judge
whom disappeared back in 1930

If you find the right article
there is a story about that Judge being sighted
in your area in the early 30's

The man was mistaken to be Judge Crater
the missing Judge

However, it was not him

The Man arrived in Julian ( where the Pie festivals are so awesome)

He was driving a Packard

Had a Map and or letter to
a Hoard of Hidden treasure
out in the Anza

He employed a local prospector
to help him locate what was in the documents he carried

When folks got Too nosey
about him
He told the Prospector that
he was the Missing Judge Crater

He was not

after awhile
the prospector found the Monuments
the Man had on his docs.

The man paid the prospector off

The Prospector returned to Julian
for supplys

and the Man with the Packard was never seen again

Though his Packard was parked where he had left it
Back in Julian.

Call me Telepathic if you must

But,,,,,,
What you have come across
is what was on that strangers Letters and map

There at your site,

I would not be the least suprized
that his bones are beneath
the stones

Inside or at the death trap.

The legend of a Fortune in Jesuit mined
gold and silver
is attached to that area.

It is supposed to be hidden
in a cave that fits your discription

There will be an entrance into this

at the top of the ridge, covered up with stones

also, an alternate entrance
around the other side
opposite the one you have found.

South, towards the Border
is a cave with Winchester Rifles
cached
They were sold to the Mexicans for their revolution

The rifles may still be there

They are in a small peak that stands alone
and can be seen south of Hiway 80

I forget the name of the town this is near

NOTE: Go to the top of the chiminy
look close for an entrance
beneath the boulder

there will be smaller rocks stacked below the dirt
around the base of that boulder

try it.

add this note: The story of Judge Crater imposter can be found
in a Book about unsolved mysteries

the story of the Jesuit treasure can be found
in a book about lost California Treasures
also, this cave was found before by a sheepherder
he saw the treasure
removed a small portion
went into town
bought burrows and
picks/shovels and supplys.

Was never seen again

So, look about for bones in the drywash
or expect to find the bones
inside that cave

google search
ANZA BORREGO+JESUIT TREASURE
See what comes up

remix: try this: www.klaxo.net/hofc/other/rvj-lost-ship.htm-80k
read about the lost Spanish ship supposedly beneath the Salton Sea
and the other stories about treasure out there by kane springs
and that Canyon with the funny name

Rog'

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rog' Thanks for the info. I've never heard about the Judge Crater angle. I've heard all about Judge Crater's disappearance, but not about the treasure. When you say highway 80, do you mean highway 86 or Interstate 8? I haven't seen highway 80, but the 8 and the 86 are right in the area. Unfortunately every ridge of every mountain is lined with stones.

In this one area (West and South of the Salton Sea), there are a million treasure stories. Pegleg Pete's black coated gold nuggets are about 30 miles southwest of the Salton Sea.

There is the story you mentioned about a Jesuit Treasure buried in this area that they hid when Spain kicked them out of New Albion (New World), with hopes of returning someday and recovering it.

There is a story about a Conquistador turned bandit who had raided towns and missions from San Francisco on South until his band raided an Indian Village. His whole group was massacred near the intersection of San Felipe Creek and Carrizo Wash, and the TEN CARTS OF GOLD and valuables were left sitting where they lay. The chief then took some of his braves back and moved the treasure to a little cave somewhere nearby in the Fish Creek Mountains so it wouldn't attract other whites. This was thought to be another tall tale until about 6 years ago when some guy riding his quad runner (This area is a VERY popular 4X4 Off-Road Area) flipped over and cut his arm on a little gold box. When he pulled it out of the sand and opened it, he found a long gold chain with a ruby studded crucifix attached.

The Pearl Galleon is supposed to be near the entrance of an arroyo near the Northwest corner of the town of Borrego Springs.

There are several lost gold and silver mines in the Fish Creek Mountains.

There is supposed to be a gold reef in an arroyo near the mouth of Earthquake Valley. This is right along Highway 78 just before entering Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

This was the route of the Butterfield Stage Co. There were several stage robberies, and a few of the robbers were killed after hiding the loot that has never been found.

This was the same area that Juan Bautista de Anza used for a route going to and from San Francisco.

All these treasures are supposed to lay within about a 50 mile diameter area from the West Shore of the Salton Sea to the Western Entrance of the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, with the park encompassing most of this area. When I am in the State Park, my hunting tools are very limited (No Metal Detectors, Prospecting equipment, or guns). I mostly carry knife, GPS, Army ETool (Shovel), camera, rope, and a small rock pick.

These aren't even taking into account all the mines in and around Julian. This little town was the gold rush center of SoCal!

Thanks-Mike

treasure minder

Mar 18, 2006
Hi Mike
your welcome

I grew up in Redondo beach Calif.

We used to do the loop out Ortega Hiway
on to Julian
and then out to Borrego springs on our
Motorcycles

My Dad was a pretty Famous Treasure Hunter

T.V., News, Magazines, Books
he was all over them.

He had The most Extensive treasure library known to
Humanity

I've read so much
that my eyes have bled

The Judge Carter angel
Was written in one of the unsolved Mystery books

It turned out not to be Judge Carter

Out there, somewhere above Julian
on the slope of a Canyon
was an Owl carved in a tree

When my Dad still lived in L.A. with us
He and a paertner had taken a document
From a Mission down there

They stole it

The found the tree
Then the Mine
Dug
dug some more
moved earth like goffers

Gave up after a few weekends

My Dad left us
went to work at White Sands Missle base
The other guy

never bothered with the mine again.

This was all done in 1954 and '55

a forest fire took out the tree

and now it's all lost again.

Oh Yeah,, I meant hiway 8 Mike

I think the town is Mexicali or Calexico

Been since 1986 since I was there

The Winchester rifle cache is really easy to find

Comparativly speaking of Course
Can't think of the name of the guy
who foundit
in 1979
He was not a treasure hunter
nor a prospector

He was camping out there
touring the states on his motorcycle

He was standing on a boulder
taking photos
his camera bag tipped over
a lense slipped down between rocks

and he pushed and pulled them aside
slid down in there to grab the lense

saw the rifles
reach a Colt Army single action Pistol

Came back to Redondo beach bellering about it.

My buddy brought him by my house
figuring i would go with him
and help recover the cache

He lived in Palos Verdes
pretty well off
He was at that time over 55 years old
Pudgie as a budgie

and not inclined to work hard at digging

Months went by before we got together to go down there
I was not all that enthused either
but thought to at the least give it a try

Its a dirt road out to it
we were on Japanese street bikes

and he did not wish to chance his exaust pipes
to the rocks

With a telephoto lens he showed me
the spot he was sure he was standing
I looked at his previous photos he took from the spot
and determined he was pretty much correct

we did not attempt a dig
we left
spent the night in San Diego, then went home

and I have passed down hiway 8, and glanced over at the peak everytime i travel that way

But still have never attempted the dig.
too busy here in New Mexico on these treasure sites

Kinda funny, he did'nt need money
and I don't care about money

Not desperate enough I guess.

Rog'

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Again,

Looks like I was mistaken. There is an old Highway 80 that runs along just south of Interstate 8. It looks like the main route before the Interstates came along.

If it was anywhere near Calexico or Mexicali, it doesn't look too promising. These areas are very well built up with farms and such. The area West of there is much better looking. From the Devil's Gorge all the way to Alpine, both sides of the highway are nothing but boulders. There is rarely a clear patch. Tell me more about the monuments that single out this particular mountain where the rifles are hidden. Next week I am deciding on whether to drive up to Joshua Tree area or try hunting up a lost mine in the Fish Creek Mts. This is VERY close to where I am looking right now, but I kind of want a change of scenery. The only problem with the area you are talking about is that it is a main route for illegals and drug mules, and it is heavily patrolled by Border Patrol(ICE). Some of it is in a state park.

treasure minder

Mar 18, 2006
Hi Mike

Superstition Peak
a little west and south of Brawley

From what I recall after 20 nyears
it was on an old gunnery Range
and the cave is on the Northeast end
of the peak

Not up high
Just up about 45 to 55 feet from the flat

West of the east tip of the ridge that comes down to the flat

The Entrance is underneath a jumble of
medium sized boulders

On a Solid looking Rock outcropping
a knob of sorts, as you look at it

He was in the shade, so it was near the
base of that Knob

in the Mid-morning

Near by, was a stacked stone monument as I call them
just out front of the cave, and visible from the flat
it stood out, and was near the edge of a small finger or ledge.

down from the cave
is another stone monument
it could have been stones stacked
or just a couple
Too far to see from where I was at.

Rog'

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm sold! I'll head out there next week. It's actually pretty near an area in the Fish Creek Mountains I wanted to hike into. There are two lost mines that way, so I'll hit both.

Mike

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rog and Mike,

Took a look at Superstition today. Mike if you go you will HAVE to have a quad-runner. As you approach the Mountain, which is about 6 miles long but only 700 feet at the highest point, the sand is deep and drifts 100s of feet from the base and swallows up the roads that lead to the top. Even the m-bikes stayed on the hard pack. Many people there today...stop by the "ICE" truck and get a great BLM trail map of the area from Fish creek mtns to Picacho peak. Since the mountains run SE to NE, Rog's directions are hard to pinpoint.

Rog, do you remember if the rockpile was a pyramid, manmade. The was one on the north side about 3 miles in. I went in from the east on Wheeler road. I think the best way to get to the spot, assuming that it is on the north side of the westernmost and highest peak (shady side) is to take trail 075 off of wheeler rd. west towards fish creek mtn. It is easy to find since it runs right along side a 3-wire power line on telephone poles all the way to the north side of FC mountains. There are turn offs to the Northern end of Superstition but you will need a QR to finish the trip. To get to the main parking area and the ICE truck stay on the road past the )075 turnoff. I wanted to continue on 075 east but the sand prevented it. A 4wd probably can do it but take some extra air or pump in case you have to deflate. It was over 90 today. Very dangerous for the unprepared.

Rog.. do you remember if the area was the highest peak, also the most NW, more towards the middle of the range? It will help Mike...I'm not going out there again.

From there I went north on Huff rd. to 78 west and had chicked fried steak in Julian, and bought an apple-boysenberry pie to bring home. 78 is one of the most awsome drives along that stretch in the country. I wish I had the right equipment to explore more thoroughly, but the years are adding up and the energy level is diminished.

Good hunting.

Bob
(in San Diego)

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rog & Bob,

Got with BLM and found out that the two roads I had tried were still gov. property. The guy I talked to said that unless specific permission was given, the second Wheeler Rd. was the only way in. I'll be either there next weekend, or the new site and there weekend after. I just found another version of the Hank Brandt Lost Gold that puts in on Superstition Mountain instead of the Fish Creeks! Something else to look for while out there.

Hey Bob,

You are correct! That 78 drive is beautiful. The BLM has a .pdf file map of Historic California Gold Mines. I would post it, but it's a 2mb file. It doesn't show cities, just counties and Gold Mine Sites. You will see a huge cluster of them around the Julian Area. Just think about all the gold and silver that's still in those mountains!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions