Old Shaft Unearthed in Anza-Borrego Desert!!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have to agree with all the others about "going alone".
Too many ways for a fatal accident. Even with a cell phone, there's no "bars" inside a shaft.<G>
Too many people have walked off of the face of the earth alone, much less crawling inside an old shaft.
Please take someone with you, even if they just sit outside with a "cool one" while you are exploring.
One of the main reasons I have slowed down on hunting is because my "partner" passed away last year. Now I have to find another that I can trust behind me or in front of me. Caution when hiking and moving rocks is needed with both partners.
If you want to see a nice shaft in Arizona sometime, left me know.<G>

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
audigger53 said:
I have to agree with all the others about "going alone".
Too many ways for a fatal accident. Even with a cell phone, there's no "bars" inside a shaft.<G>
Too many people have walked off of the face of the earth alone, much less crawling inside an old shaft.
Please take someone with you, even if they just sit outside with a "cool one" while you are exploring.
One of the main reasons I have slowed down on hunting is because my "partner" passed away last year. Now I have to find another that I can trust behind me or in front of me. Caution when hiking and moving rocks is needed with both partners.
If you want to see a nice shaft in Arizona sometime, left me know.<G>

What part of AZ. I'll be heading that way this fall, when things cool down somewhat. I can get 130 degree heat right here at home. I don't want to drive hundreds of miles to get to the heat I have at home! ;D

Mike

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Hmmm, Fish Creek Mtns....Neat Place....I'd be lost if I went there now, but 25 years back, I did lot's of research in this area and wore out lot's of vehicles and boots!...No doubt, I BELIEVE in a lot of the Stories connected to that area and of the "HAUNTED CANYON".....But, the Inland Seas is what I was interested in then, and although the scientific community is in sharp debate about the real history, it is interesting to note of the vast amount of ancient WHALE BONES that has been found in that area...In contrast to this, large amounts of Megladon Teeth as well (GIANT WHALE EATING SHARKS)....Now, according to the scientific Megladon Buffs, the Megladon was a Deep Sea Shark, however, their Teeth have been found in many other areas in California and the American Southwest of where supposedly some of the Seas were Shallow...Just outside of Bakersfield, a guy still digs them up (the teeth are worth money to collectors)....Where ever the Large Inland Seas (almost all were connected in Ancient Times).....where ever they were, there were at different times also TSUNAMIS, TIDAL RIFTS and Myrids of other Mother Nature Cataclysmic Activities that helped shape the Valleys and Mountains where we go today....Ancient Floods could have washed the Whale Bones and Sharks Teeth into these areas or it might have been alot deeper than what the scientists acknowledge...If I'm out and about and I find a Megladon Tooth, I STOP and PAY ATTENTION...I'd rather be finding Gold Nuggets but hey, these Teeth can get also buy a few groceries down the road...Just a thought....Darrell

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Happy Trails:
Boy! :o
Strange that you should mention :o "Haunted Canyon" ! :o
I was about to write down...
I and Two other friends of mine, ( SO! I wasn't the only person to witness this!) while camped in the canyon, had a very strange "happening!" there!
I firmly believe! that there is something to the Name!
"Haunted" !
I really need to take the time and write "The Happening!" down!
Anyone who doesn't believe it happened! ..... I, challenge them to "pack up" and LET'S GO! ;D

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HappyTrails55 said:
Hmmm, Fish Creek Mtns....Neat Place....I'd be lost if I went there now, but 25 years back, I did lot's of research in this area and wore out lot's of vehicles and boots!...No doubt, I BELIEVE in a lot of the Stories connected to that area and of the "HAUNTED CANYON".....But, the Inland Seas is what I was interested in then, and although the scientific community is in sharp debate about the real history, it is interesting to note of the vast amount of ancient WHALE BONES that has been found in that area...In contrast to this, large amounts of Megladon Teeth as well (GIANT WHALE EATING SHARKS)....Now, according to the scientific Megladon Buffs, the Megladon was a Deep Sea Shark, however, their Teeth have been found in many other areas in California and the American Southwest of where supposedly some of the Seas were Shallow...Just outside of Bakersfield, a guy still digs them up (the teeth are worth money to collectors)....Where ever the Large Inland Seas (almost all were connected in Ancient Times).....where ever they were, there were at different times also TSUNAMIS, TIDAL RIFTS and Myrids of other Mother Nature Cataclysmic Activities that helped shape the Valleys and Mountains where we go today....Ancient Floods could have washed the Whale Bones and Sharks Teeth into these areas or it might have been alot deeper than what the scientists acknowledge...If I'm out and about and I find a Megladon Tooth, I STOP and PAY ATTENTION...I'd rather be finding Gold Nuggets but hey, these Teeth can get also buy a few groceries down the road...Just a thought....Darrell

Hey Darrell,
My mom lives in Panama City, Florida, and there a lot of places in the area to hunt megalodon teeth. I haven't seen much in the way of fossils out there (but then again that's not what I was looking for). There is one story that involves fossils though. The story of Hank Brandt's Lost Gold Mine. Part of the directions to his mine involve finding a set of whale bones in a ledge. That's on Superstition Mountain (near Brawley). Haven't found them yet either.

Where is Haunted Canyon in the Anza Area? The only Haunted Canyon I know about is in the Superstition Mountains in Arizona.

Don't get me wrong. There are a bunch of ghost stories about this area with all the murders and robberies. just haven't heard of Haunted Canyon in SoCal.

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Beard said:
Hello Gollum,

I have a question about the turtle1sm picture you have posted on here. Have you any close ups of the Pictographs or Gliphs on that rock outcropping or did you notice them on there? They Look Indian or Aztec.

Good Hunting!!!

Glad you found something!! What do the Assays have to say about the quartz vein in the tunnel?

Keep up the good work!

Black Beard

Hey BB,

Nothing left on it. 2/3rds of the head was chopped off, and the entire top of the shell was hacked away. Looks like somebody found it and didn't want anybody else to see it. I found it only because I was following from the face going backwards. The face in the boulder led to one clue, and the turtle was the next. Just stumbled over it while looking. I don't think the idiot who did this knew what he really found, or just didn't carry through and find anything else, because none of the other monuments were defaced. That one was, however, the closest to a road, and the easiest to be spotted by a hiker.

Another thought I just had was maybe they didn't understand what it was. Maybe they thought it was some Indian Pictographs. They might have cut it up to steal the pictographs and sell or collect them. After all, how many people would really know what a Spanish Turtle was? Unless you are a THunter, you would probably have no idea. Just see the pretty carvings.

Mike

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like fun Gollum :)

Hope you take care out there. Looks promising, but dangerous.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
Looks like fun Gollum :)

Fun is my Chinese neighbors middle name! ;D ;D ;D

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Beard said:
Hey Mike,

The Photo your showing was destroyed after it was taken? I don't understand?

I see pictographs in the photo you posted. You may have to return at sun down and take some more photo's to get the full effect.

The Pictographs I would like to see better.

Bill

If you are referring to the turtlesm1 picture, the picture was not destroyed. The turtle was destroyed. The top and left side of his head was broken off, and the top and left side of his shell was broken off. There are no pictographs on the rock itself. The parts that were broken off, that I believe had pictographs on them, are not anywhere in the area. This leads me to believe that somebody destroyed it to take the glyphs home.

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok BB,

You're going to have to show me what you are talking about. I've been doing this a long time as well. Originally, I thought there were glyphs on this rock, but I have looked it over very closely. Sprayed water on it (what is in the grooves dries last and stands out better. What I originally thought were glyphs are on the left side towards the bottom. They aren't glyphs. There is one thing which I think may be part of the original shell or head carving. It is the piece in the foreground of the picture. Look in the second pic. Inside the green square.

Show me what you are talking about. If it looks like a good possibility, I'll get over to it the next time I'm out there.

Mike

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 3,220
  • index.php6.jpg
    index.php6.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3,248

BruceHuffington

Feb 13, 2006
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been quite awhile, did anyone ever locate the gun cache?
Sorry to butt in, I'm in the area and ready to track something down. :)

Bruce

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bruce,

To answer your question....NOPE! The directions given were not real. First, it was Superstition, then it was somewhere else, then Davies Canyon.

After much research and few wasted 300 mile drives, I found that Davies Canyon is the alleged location of the stash. Earle Stanley Gardner (Perry Mason) spent many years in the 1950s looking at the Davies Canyon lost rifles story.

The biggest problem with Davies Canyon now is that it is a major route for Illegal Aliens and Drug Smugglers. A few of them die every year making the trip. Border Patrol has made the road through Davies Canyon closed to vehicular traffic. They sweep the roads a few times a day to help find new footprints.

Best-Mike

BruceHuffington

Feb 13, 2006
So-Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike,
Once I pulled out a map, I noticed pretty much right away that the directions were incorrect. First south of 80 and or 8, then south west of Brawley. I was thinking the first directions were probably right and then the guy changed his details to throw people off. Oh well, It would have been fun to check out.

BruceHuffington

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, to be fair, the source is an older gentleman, and all that he remembers happened a LOOOOONG time ago, so things may have been somewhat foggy. I try and give most people the benefit of the doubt.

You can get into Davies Canyon. It just has to be on foot. The sucky thing is that you don't know that until you are way down the dirt trail, almost at the canyon. I thought about going in on foot, but didn't feel comfortable leaving my truck unattended in Illegal Alien Alley.

Best-Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BruceHuffington said:
Mike,

Do you mean Davis Canyon?

- Huffington

DAVIES CANYON. It is part of the Jucumba Wilderness Area. It is almost directly South of the town of Ocotillo (along I8, not Ocotillo Wells on the 78).

If you don't have Google Earth, just go to maps.google.com, and insert "Davies Canyon, California" Then select Terrain Map, and you will see it in TOPO.

Best-Mike

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gollum,
Quick question for you. Do you know of a rock formation on the westside of the Chocolates and maybe east of the dunes that sounds like a Indian chief ?? Basically it would be in the " gap " between the two. The chief should be facing west possibly looking over Imperial, which would be at the north end of the dunes. If you do PLEASE let me know..

Thankx
PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread