Lost Underground River of Gold

GambitBandit

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
"Unsolved Mysteries" did a segment on this. It can be viewed in one of the first episodes of Season 6 on Amazon prime.

Feb 22, 2024
Nevada
I didn't see this legend on here and was actually quite surprised, so here it is:

This is the story of the lost river of gold located near the California and Nevada state line just off of the 15 Interstate Highway. The mountains of this area are honeycombed with caves and it is one of these caves that three Indian brothers supposedly found the lost river of gold and one brother was killed while exploring them. They were friends of a local prospector named Earl Dorr and told him the location of one of the entrances. Dorr located the entrance and explored the cave deep within the Kokoweef peak.

In 1934, Dorr tried to interest investors in the possibility of mining the caverns he said he had found. He described a cavern 3000 feet deep and of an unknown length. There was an underground river running throughout the cave. Dorr said he followed the river for approximately 8 miles walking along a shelf next to the underground river. At some point, he said he saw a shaft of light but otherwise the cavern was dark (the light that Dorr saw and the distance of approximately 8 miles are significant). On one of the shelves Dorr filled a leather pouch with black sand to have analyzed for possible minerals.

When Dorr made his way back to the top, he noticed 2 prospectors watching him. Worrying about claim jumpers, he returned to the entrance and dynamited the entrance closed. Dorr spent most of his remaining years trying to locate the "shaft of light" he had seen when he was following the underground river. He was never able to find the second entrance. The remains of the original entrance, Dorr’s cabin, and smaller caverns can still be located in the area. Dorr had the pouch of black sand assayed and it ran $2000/ton of gold at the then price of $20/ounce. At today’s prices of approximately $280/ounce this would come to $28,000/ton. Not bad for a days work!

Now, I have been searching for this cavern for quite some time, and I HAVE found the entrance that was dynamited shut. However it is not possible to asertain how much rock has actually fallen to block this entrance, making digging the entrance back open nearly impossible (I simply do not have the tools or manpower for such a task) I will be returning to the site next weekend and will take some pictures of the collapsed entrance. Of course it is possible that the entrace I found is completely unrelated to the river of gold, and in fact the river may not even exist. But the thought of it excites me, and I shall do my best to find it if it is there.

Now I don't mind if others go in search of this natural treasure, however please note that entering such places without experience can VERY easily lead to death, be careful and make sure that someone knows where you are. My team and I have alot of experience in exploring old mine shafts, yet we still enter such places VERY carefully.
I found it i have evidence it is the list wonder of this world

Feb 22, 2024
Nevada
Wow, I think I actually met this guy a couple years ago in San Diego... I was there visiting family when a friend suggested I go check out a Treasure Hunters of San Diego meet and this guy was there I think. Not positive it was the same guy of course but he was pretty obsessed with the Kokoweef legend and what he told me about it is in line with what this guy posted here. He was rather... Eccentric lol

Even so he had some fairly convincing arguments, now I wish I'd pressed him for more info. In any case I live in Washington state so it's not easy for me to investigate this legend. I'm transferring to California for college after I get my transfer degree though so I'd like to do some investigation before I move to Japan after graduation.

I guess you could try a Treasure Hunters of San Diego meeting and see if you can find this guy if you want to know more of what he claims to know, who knows he might be there.
I have investigated it and it's singing worth getting its hold treasure somewhere within this earth;)

Feb 22, 2024
Nevada
I found it i have evidence it is the list wonder of this world
It's definitely there. I live in Las Vegas so if you want to come out here for the weekend. I'll definitely point out to you some places that I believe that the river goal is running through along with a beautiful diamond mine and some more Beautiful things have been sitting right in front of us all the time

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely there. I live in Las Vegas so if you want to come out here for the weekend. I'll definitely point out to you some places that I believe that the river goal is running through along with a beautiful diamond mine and some more Beautiful things have been sitting right in front of us all the time
Post pictures of the gold and diamonds you found.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot of Safari at Feb 29, 2024 at 4_08_51 PM.jpg

You know you're replying to yourself, right? (That's a screenshot of a post in this thread...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread