All Treasure Hunting

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you realize how similar this is to the skeptic challenges. Of course the one big difference is if you find it you get to keep it. With the spektic challenge the final decision was up to their panel of judges.

Fenn said may not be found for a thousand years.

There are about 3,100,000 square yards in a square mile (one section).

So if someone can convince me they have it narrowed down, I might be interested.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
The Clues
The clues to finding 40 pounds of gold, diamonds and precious jewels are believed to lie somewhere in Fenn's memoir, appropriately titled The Thrill of the Chase. The book contains nine poems with clues and an "unusual map".
The book's blurb reads: "This book is the remarkable true story of Forrest Fenn's life and of a hidden treasure, secreted somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe. The book contains clues to the treasure's location."
The Thrill of the Chase can be purchased online.
Who is Forrest Fenn?
Fenn opened the Fenn Gallery on Paseo de Peralta in Santa Fe in the 1970s. It took him years to collect the items he has placed in the treasure chest. Now, the Huffington Post reports that Fenn has been diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer and has only a 20 percent chance of surviving for more than three years.
"After I hid the treasure I walked back to my car feeling very proud of myself and laughing out loud," he said, continuing, "I asked, 'Forrest, did you really do that?' There have never been any regrets. Now it is for the ages and a big part of me in that treasure chest. I felt it go in as I closed the lid for the last time."
He claims he has already had more than 10,000 enquiries about the prize.
The Poem with the Clues in it:
As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.
Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.
From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.
If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.
So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.
So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.
sa.jpg

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey wingmaster….setting here in the car waiting for the rain to stop….I don’t think it would be an easy search after looking at the map…In the next few days I will write up a search plan for the area…Art

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
First I would buy the book “Thrill of the Chase” and research his words...I would make a list of his likes and dislikes of the great outdoors. I would read the poems and study the clues..then I would get the maps of the area and look for areas that seems to match these clues....I may spend months working on this part of the mystery..Lots of mountains and streams
Then I would sent the maps to some of my Map Dowsing friends as I know they can put me in the area of the treasure....then I could enlarge the maps and start to plan my search...I would look for roads and trails that would give me access to the area. Then it would be time to divide the area into grids that would assure that I had full coverage of the area...Each hunter has to know what the limits his devices has...I own devices with ranges of ÂĽ mile to 8 miles...I think I would be using the one with a five mile range..when marking these grids attention must be given to the device you are going to use because they all work a little differently..
The search is now planned..Use your device to check for gold and mark the spot. Then from the same spot check for copper, zinc and diamonds...If those are not present move on...When you have all these located on the same signal and if your device allows you to determine the distance to the treasure you can now take 3 GPS readings about 50 foot apart on the signal line and put them on the map..Draw a line on the map and check to see if any roads or trails are closer to the target..If anyone has questions I would be happy to help...Art

fenixdigger

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Aurora Aqua, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper, E Trac, Dees Nutz rod, Tesoro Sand Shark. Pro pulse.
If I understand this story, a man, very ill carried a very heavy chest into the wilderness and hid it. Is this true??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
With all the good locators out there why has Forrest Fenn's treasure still not discovered? Seems this would be an easy target for these with the amount of gold and buried in a bronze box, this would also be a good advertisement for any company making these. HH

well wing-master, this is an easy one to answer on their behalf. I mean, the same question could be said of ANY treasures: Why do we not see the LRL crowd post their finds? If they do as they claim, why don't we see caches left & right from those that buy-into-this? I mean, afterall: a look at the "today's finds" forums ANY DAY OF THE WEEK shows lots of us md'rs showing off our latest finds, right? No shortage of md'rs posting their latest rings, key-date coins, and so forth, right? So why not the LRL'rs?

I floated this exact same question before, and got the answer. So I'll save them the time in replying. Here you go:

Because they're after the "big-ticket" items (caches, and not individual coins or rings). Hence, yes they're being found, but no, they're "keeping mum", as they don't want attention. The reason they keep mum and don't want attention, is because of

a) the fear of thieves coming over to their houses and stealing their valuables.

b) to keep the IRS and state from trying to tax them

c) because they have "nothing to prove" to the doubters, and thus feel no need to back up their claims. Eg.: if you don't believe me/us, that's your problem, and we'll just laugh at you all the way to the bank.

So you see wing-master, it's not that that treasure wasn't found, or that they're not finding treasures, it's just that it's all a big conspiracy hush job, and they don't want the media or fellow-md'rs, or IRS to know.

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Tom...Are we going to get 49 more posts like yours?

Hey Arthur - good reply. Anyone one can tell Tom that anyone finding a treasure would be a fool to let it be known he found it. He/She would be lucky to come out of it alive and the treasure would be gone either to govnment or thieves.

As to the Fenn treasure - a net search widens the search area to several states as Fenn did treasure hunting etc. in many places in the west.
Goldfinder

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I am always amazed at the negativity shown to dowsers and the amount of requests for dowsers to help locate something for them.
Let's look at it another way. Why don't metal detectorists come search some of my sites and then send me a map with the treasures
marked out and let me come dig them up and keep them. That is what us dowsers are asked to do all the time. Would MDers actually
share with me? Not so far.
Incidentally I also here that Fenn has recovered from his cancer, but is still leaving his treasure to be found. Interesting.
Rich

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Arthur - good reply. Anyone one can tell Tom that anyone finding a treasure would be a fool to let it be known he found it. He/She would be lucky to come out of it alive and the treasure would be gone either to govnment or thieves.

As to the Fenn treasure - a net search widens the search area to several states as Fenn did treasure hunting etc. in many places in the west.
Goldfinder

Yup, just as I said. Thus my answer was accurate. I knew from having floated this Q in the past.

This begs the followup question then: If we can take this answer on face-value, that caches are being found, but ...... as you say .... the finders are being "hush hush" in order to "come out alive" (not be killed?). And being "hush hush" to keep thieves and the IRS at bay.... Then pray-tell, why do the "finds" forums on the internet frequently have proud finders post their items worth over $1k?, $2k? etc... I mean, I bet if I scrolled back through the finds on the finds forums, I'd find persons posting items that are indeed valued at into the thousands. Example #1: Some beach guys have posted some great diamonds in rings that tilt the scales at 1.5 to 2 karots in size. Example #2: I just posted a gold coin worth over $1.5k, with no attempt to hide my name, ID, etc... Certainly there must have been some modest "bread & butter" caches found by the LRL guys that contained only common date depression era silver, that .... net value, didn't exceed $1k. No?

But alas, I'm probably wasting my time. There will always be some reason. It's never that it doesn't work. So too could I apply all the same "answer lines" to my tennis shoe/peanut butter treasure-finder device. It's not that the shoe-peanut-butter device doesn't work, it's that it's all a big conspiracy and secrecy on my end, to keep you from seeing the goodies it can find! Yeah, ... that's the ticket :)

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, just as I said. Thus my answer was accurate. I knew from having floated this Q in the past.

This begs the followup question then: If we can take this answer on face-value, that caches are being found, but ...... as you say .... the finders are being "hush hush" in order to "come out alive" (not be killed?). And being "hush hush" to keep thieves and the IRS at bay.... Then pray-tell, why do the "finds" forums on the internet frequently have proud finders post their items worth over $1k?, $2k? etc... I mean, I bet if I scrolled back through the finds on the finds forums, I'd find persons posting items that are indeed valued at into the thousands. Example #1: Some beach guys have posted some great diamonds in rings that tilt the scales at 1.5 to 2 karots in size. Example #2: I just posted a gold coin worth over $1.5k, with no attempt to hide my name, ID, etc... Certainly there must have been some modest "bread & butter" caches found by the LRL guys that contained only common date depression era silver, that .... net value, didn't exceed $1k. No?

But alas, I'm probably wasting my time. There will always be some reason. It's never that it doesn't work. So too could I apply all the same "answer lines" to my tennis shoe/peanut butter treasure-finder device. It's not that the shoe-peanut-butter device doesn't work, it's that it's all a big conspiracy and secrecy on my end, to keep you from seeing the goodies it can find! Yeah, ... that's the ticket :)

You think a nice diamond ring is a big treasure. Get real - a treasure is something like a big cache of gold.
Goldfinder

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Gee Tom... I have put finds on this board..I also have finds on Ranger Tell...Art

sorry I didn't know that. Got any links? And I can pretty much guess what the circumstances will be:

Researching out likely sites (ruins, ghost town foundations, etc...) or a lead ("so & so buried his jar of goodies somewhere over there in the yard..."), and the wand is waved around, in that likely direction. Then the hunter pulls out his detector to "pinpoint", and ........ wouldn't you know it ....... there's metal there! (perhaps even a jar or treasure or coin or something). I would not take those type of finds as anything other than simply having been in the already-likely spot for something to have been, and the detector simply finding metal, where you turn it on.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gee Tom...If the person wants to hunt that way it is OK..does the phrase use any and all tools to find and recover treasure mean anything to you?..Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Art, you ask: "...does the phrase use any and all tools to find and recover treasure mean anything to you?"

Yes! And that's just the point :) You have used the "tools" to find metal, namely the a) leads, or b) likely looking spots you've already researched, and c) metal detector. And I am saying it had nothing to do with your wand or rod or LRL, and everything to do with those other tools.

I mean, seriously now Art, if I wave a coat hanger or LRL or whatever at enough likely looking ruins, or point it at yards where someone tells me their uncle buried a jar on, ...... and then turn on my detector to "pinpoint", I too would find metal (perhaps even a goodie). Does that mean the wand or rod had anything to do with it? No.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Well Tom...I don’t use a conventional metal detector or a pinpointer and I find treasure...I don’t waste my time searching every inch of an area..My devices allow me to to search large areas in minutes...If something is there I follow the signal to the target..Less time spent means more finds...Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Art, ok then I'll bite: can you link to any of your finds-posts, of finds make with nothing but a rod, and no detector to "pinpoint" ?

I look forward to seeing those links. thanx.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gee...The LRL that I use has no rods...Your welcome to search for the photo’s because I already have saw them and will not do your work for you..Art

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine wants me to go after the Treasure also. But not understanding what my Dowsing abilities are capable of always causes a long explanation. My first answer to him was, do you realize how many Gold signals are up in the mountains of New Mexico, and where would I find time to investigate them all. Meteorites have Gold but those could be ruled out with use of other Elements, but without some kind of confirmed location, dowsing the precise Gold signal is difficult. Even though it has Diamonds in the Treasure, and Carbon could be used to help confirm Treasure on the same Gold signal line, diamond quantity is small so beinjg closer to the Treasure is a factor. It's easier to locate a Gold Treasure at great distance, when there isn't other Gold signals around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions