What sucker would pay $1200 for this locator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Signal line
Add about $2 for the handle and $20 for the antenna and $5 for a battery. You know I could see it if the guy had spent years in the field working on it, but he didn't. I doubt he can even use one. Ain't that right aRT? What does the "RT" stand for in your identity?
Gee guy....I go by the name Art...It is short for Arthur...My sign in name is AArthrj3811...that was given to me many years ago by AOL to use for my e mails...Any other questions?...Art

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so everyone knows, there is no such thing as a hand-held MFD. That's why I question if these guys can even use one--I seriously doubt it. You can put a handle on a frequency generator as has been done at least fifteen years ago. They were never popular and from my experience it is not as good as a baited coat hanger. They are awkward to use. I've built two of them. One was much lighter than this one (less than half the weight). It was still awkward and I could not find my test target with either one.

If you want to build your own MFD you can get one of these cheap generators (yes, they are factory rejects) and hook up two ground or air probes. Then walk around it with an L-rod.

If you are a beginner, I suggest you buy a ready made unit. Vernell Electronics has some low priced models. That is going to work better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I've heard from Art that bunch I really wonder if this is not an elaborate skeptic hoax.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Does “elaborate skeptic hoax” mean 1000’s of hours of enjoying my hobby of treasure hunting and locating and recovering gold and other treasures?....Art

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hoax" is not the correct term. It should read "con job". I got suckered in the early days . They said it was a specially modified calculator. I had a short discussion with Tim Williams about it. He said there is no way it could be modified. I went back to the website and they had removed that comment. I got wise to things after they said seven decimal places were necessary for accuracy. Then every month or so they would send out a new set of frequencies. Another strange thing they said you had to push the "sine" button to get a sine wave. Total deception. I could go on and describe how someone told me one of the skeptics was supplying parts for an LRL. There's more but I'm stopping here.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I could go on and describe how someone told me one of the skeptics was supplying parts for an LRL. There's more but I'm stopping here.

Now that's funny! Everything you need to make an LRL is right there at your local Radio Shack.

But, I just gotta know....... the "skeptic" protagonist in your little story-become-fake-internet-rumor, was it me? If so, just blurt it out, I can live with the shame.

--Dave J.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Signal line
"Hoax" is not the correct term. It should read "con job". I got suckered in the early days . They said it was a specially modified calculator.
Did they!
I had a short discussion with Tim Williams about it. He said there is no way it could be modified.
OK
I went back to the website and they had removed that comment. I got wise to things after they said seven decimal places were necessary for accuracy.
I find seven numbers and multiplying them very helpful when setting depth and distance...It is a simple equation that they use.
Then every month or so they would send out a new set of frequencies.
For a few years I received update frequencies and more objects that I could look for...I found that to be very useful.
Another strange thing they said you had to push the "sine" button to get a sine wave. Total deception.
I wouldn’t know that as I have never been told to do that
I could go on and describe how someone told me one of the skeptics was supplying parts for an LRL. There's more but I'm stopping here.
What difference would that make?....Even skeptics have a right to make money...And YES..I am happy with the unit I paid $ 445 for...Art

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Signal line
Just so everyone knows, there is no such thing as a hand-held MFD
Many of the older manufactures said their units were Multi Frequency Detectors...so what’s up with changing the definition?....Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what kind of sucker would pay $1200 for that locator? The kind of person who doesn't want to be "left out". The human mind wants SO HARD TO BELIEVE. Lest you be "left out". And other "laughing all the way to the bank". So people can fall for anything that promises results.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Tom in CA
what kind of sucker would pay $1200 for that locator? The kind of person who doesn't want to be "left out". The human mind wants SO HARD TO BELIEVE. Lest you be "left out". And other "laughing all the way to the bank". So people can fall for anything that promises results.
What’s wrong with someone that has spent $1200 on a detector....If they have researched it, ask the manufacture and received satisfying answer and then traveled there to get a hands on demonstration before he purchase the unit I say that is his decision....I have researched devices from $39 to $25000 and had fun doing it...Is not treasure hunting just a hobby that we enjoy?....Laugh all you want and I will keep on enjoying my Hobby...Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
art, your answer has an implict premise that the locator-in-question was legitimate. That is: You're answering the question by comparing it to standard metal detectors. And if both of us (most "reasonable" people) already know that metal detectors are not held in the same state of skeptical doubts, as the ebay item in the OP's post.

If we agreed that both detectors, and locators like that, are legitimate, then your answer holds water. But the point of the OP's question (and my answer) is that ... no, the locator there is NOT legitimate. So your answer is simply assuming-one's-own-point-of-view, without answering it. Ie.: you don't give any data, you just answer in a way, that pre-assumes your own position.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's funny! Everything you need to make an LRL is right there at your local Radio Shack.

The skeptic was the guy behind the counter.

You can put a handle on a frequency generator as has been done at least fifteen years ago. They were never popular...

You can put a handle on a frequency generator, then remove all the circuitry from the frequency generator, and replace said circuitry with dried fish, and call it an "Electroscope 301," then sell it for $2495 each, and make millions. But they were never very popular.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Tom in CA
art, your answer has an implict premise that the locator-in-question was legitimate. That is: You're answering the question by comparing it to standard metal detectors. And if both of us (most "reasonable" people) already know that metal detectors are not held in the same state of skeptical doubts, as the ebay item in the OP's post.

If we agreed that both detectors, and locators like that, are legitimate, then your answer holds water. But the point of the OP's question (and my answer) is that ... no, the locator there is NOT legitimate. So your answer is simply assuming-one's-own-point-of-view, without answering it. Ie.: you don't give any data, you just answer in a way, that pre-assumes your own position.
Did I say that?....I thought I was giving information for informed consumers.....I made no comparisons with Conventional Metal Detector...I don’t know if the device would fit what I need in a LRL...I know I was not happy with a conventional metal detector so I found other ways to treasure hunt that made me happy....Art

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~Carl~
You can put a handle on a frequency generator, then remove all the circuitry from the frequency generator, and replace said circuitry with dried fish, and call it an "Electroscope 301,
Gee....I do not think it would be an Electroscope 301..
" then sell it for $2495 each, and make millions.
Did he make millions?
But they were never very popular.
In some circles they were not.......Art

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vernell is old technology. I mentioned them because the price is low. I have never used their low-priced models. I tried to contact them and a woman answered the phone. I mentioned an issue I had and they never called me back. Dell told me he split ties with them years ago. I trust Dell more than anyone in the LRL industry. Anyway, I changed the gold frequency on my unit and it sure works better.

I'm not saying their equipment doesn't work, but I am not going to give any more recommendations. I've gone out of my way to give them good press. They did not treat me right.

I like the Eliminator e-120. It gives a good signal. It has several frequencies and a very good weight filter for about the same price as their single element unit. Much newer technology.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell everyone if you see a device, an electronics box on a swivel handle, run away from it!

If you want something that works at a decent price, consider a frequency generator and the Eliminator e-120. That's less than $400.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Signal line
I tell everyone if you see a device, an electronics box on a swivel handle, run away from it!
That is your right to buy anything that you want….I prefer the electronics on a swivel handle because most of them are new technology that will give you more information about the target, distance and depth….a set of rods will not do this….Less time chasing small targets means more large targets found and recovered…..Art

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if it has a calculator on it, don't hurt yourself from laughing too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread