Lessons on Locating--The L-rod grip

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I catch the rod with four fingers, then above them I rest my thumb on the side facing me. This arrangement seems to work best for me. Each person should experiment with their grasp to see which works best for them. None of my fingers are actually touching the rod, only the outer covering around the rod. I do also touch the rod itself with my thumb shortly before using to charge it to a positive charge before resting on the outer covering. This position may or may not work for you. Good Luck. rockhound

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
If I am dowsing a buried line, it doesn't seem to matter how I hold them, handles or not. However, if I am using my signal generator attached to my transducer probe, well, it still doesn't matter as long as the rods can move freely. Yes, I have actually pinpointed a few small things, and recovered them, and I have had the technology at my disposal since 1988. I have noticed that sensitivity increases when you wear an electronic wristwatch, or carry a cellular phone, just like sensitivity changes whenever you are on a signal line and someone places their hand on you, but you should know all this already. If the "polarity" of your fingers alternates from one to the next, then you are an exception to the rule. Your electrolytes must be weird. I am not "wired" that way, nor are the majority of the members of the human species.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
When using a single rod to locate a direction, I keep the fingers on the other hand separated so not to affect the rod. It seems if the fingers touch they impact the rod in negative way. When holding the rod(s), I also keep my fingers from touching each other. I seem to get a better response from the rod(s) this way. Keeping a clear mind except only thinking of my intended targets signature, I feel I have the best opportunity to locate the signal line. From there it is simply follow and observe how the rod(s) react as I walk along. I think the greatest challenge for most people is to let go of their random thoughts and focus solely on the intended target. There seems to be a steep learning curve for some people. I have taught several my way of using dowsing and LRL rods and have observed their action and attitudes while involved in the practice. I have noted that I can influence or not their ability to use the rods. I have to clear my own mind in order to not influence theirs in any way. This has taught me to not influence my own rods while using them. I hope these things help some maybe starting out or having trouble with their practice. Good Luck. rockhound

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I haven't read the book, although I have read several books on the subject. Most are in agreement about these things, but a few really go outside the box in exploring and investigating these phenomena. I have found as I am getting older that my sensitivity is somewhat diminished on dowsing and using a LRL effectively. It seems the body, acting as a receiver, looses some of its ability to effectively power a dowsing rod or a self charging LRL. An electronic LRL doesn't suffer as much. As time goes by I find it harder to improve as my ability somewhat diminishes. I can drink Gatorade and replenish my electrolytes and have some reserve for using a treasure locating device. I agree that we should be improving as we go along testing to find out the maximum effectiveness of our abilities. Good Luck. rockhound

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I never thought much about how I hold my Dowsing Rods. This is how I hold them. I place the top part of the handle in the crease of my index finger about a 1/2 inch from the bend of the rod with my thumb touching that finger nail. I place the lower part of the rod in the crease that goes all the way thought my hand. I close my hand lightly with my thumb touching the nail of my index finger. Now move your arm back and forth. The rod should move freely....I thought everyone had wire coat hangers until someone e-mailed me and ask where they could buy them. Just go to an auto shop or about anywhere they wear uniforms.

To make the L rods cut two hangers at the neck and straighten them. Make the handles 5" long and the long side 17"making sure that the handles are free of the old bends. Remember that these L Rods are not very sensitive but will react to a lot of different objects.

As for your abilities dropping off as you age I agree that is what happens. I now have to use a Ranger tell body booster. It is just the only thing I have found that makes the rods work like they use to....Art

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
All are good points to consider. Our abilities are affected as we age or when colder weather arrives. I cut my searching time sessions shorter at these times. I can only effectively use the rods for short durations before the cold or wind causes me to loose concentration. I always rub my hands together vigorously for about 30 seconds before searching, and up to a minute in colder weather. I have used coat hangers several times and have even made a few for friends, but now I only use brass or bronze welding/brazing rods. There is a welding supply me so I have easy access to them. And although the price has gone up substantially recently, they are still a good bargain, as I can make a pair of rods out of one rod. Good luck. rockhound

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
So far I have not seen where any of my dowsing abilities have dropped of with aging, I believe that every person is different. The way you hold your rods and the material you make them out of for positive results has to do with your own mind set

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread