Home Made Weight Checker

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Home Made Weight Checker
A household dimmer switch will make a good weight checker. Just put a small magnet on the green wire. I used a small piece cut from one of those magnetic business cards. Make it and try it as your may have turn the magnet over to get the proper response. You can take it apart and put it in a plastic box if you want it to look professional..Art
100_0031.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fascinating.

What do you connect the other two or three wires/contacts to on the dimmer switch to complete a circuit? The green screw or wire is ground - you'd get the same result just setting the magnet on the metal switch container/box since the ground is not wired to the switch itself.

Does it matter which pole of the magnet is wired to ground?

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I just cut the other green and black wires off. I don’t think you need a circuit. It is just a simple potentiometer. The magnet makes it work. All you are doing is increasing and decreasing the strength of the magnet. If you put a bar magnet in your shirt pocket lengthwise the rods will still close but if you turn it around there by switching the poles the rods will not close....Art

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
To set a weight check you should use some known targets and put marks on the face. I used lead. I only marked up to 5 pounds as I don’t care what is there as I am going to dig it. The one on my Ranger Tell TG was easy as it has numbers on the dial..Art

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see how attaching a ferrite magnet to a length of wire in an incomplete circuit (that does not connect to a potentiometer even through an incomplete circuit if it is the ground wire you used) can change the "power" of a magnet. Especially if it is not an electromagnet to begin with.

I guess I need to take a class on magic instead of physics or electronics. :dontknow:

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I guess I need to take a class on magic instead of physics or electronics
You can take all magic classes that you want. What does my device have to do with Electronics? It will still do the job...Art

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_scratch:

If you are seperating electrical from magnetic you are taking science backwards 150 years.

I guess I just don't understand what your dimmer device might do. Though "dimness" may have indeed increased. You mention a reaction from lead - which has no magnetic properties at all without a current applied to it.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I guess that you know nothing about LRL signals. I guess that you have no idea how the weight checks on the market work. I guess you know nothing about how to get the plans to build a weight check. I guess that you would spend $100’s to buy one...If you want one it is simple to make a tool that does a better job for under $10...Just plain old logic...Art

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a weight checker?

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
A weight checker is a device that gives you an estimate of how big the object that your LRL has made contact with. When you are on the signal line you adjust the knob until the rods open. If you have done the proper tests you would know about what is down there...Art

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that you know nothing about LRL signals. I guess that you have no idea how the weight checks on the market work. I guess you know nothing about how to get the plans to build a weight check. I guess that you would spend $100’s to buy one...If you want one it is simple to make a tool that does a better job for under $10...Just plain old logic...Art

This is all true - except the part about spending $100 to buy one. I'd have to know a lot more about what one is supposed to do, first. You're using the word "weight" in what appears to be an unfamiliar context to me. If you have an instrument sensitive to weigh charged electromagnetic particles that is a mind boggling accomplishment and the world deserves to know more.

I am fascinated to learn how LRL might work. So far I haven't made a connection to what I am familiar with, but I am open minded as some claim to get results. I am trying to broaden my horizons. But I'm not the Federal Government so I throw a lot of questions before I throw any money at a puzzle; and I find a cautious and skeptical approach to be sensible when analyzing "internet" information.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
This is all true - except the part about spending $100 to buy one. I'd have to know a lot more about what one is supposed to do, first. You're using the word "weight" in what appears to be an unfamiliar context to me. If you have an instrument sensitive to weigh charged electromagnetic particles that is a mind boggling accomplishment and the world deserves to know more.
I have heard many different definitions of what kind of signals we are dealing with. I don’t pay a lot of attention to them. I know how to follow these signal to the target so that is all I need know. I started play with weight checkers after walking 8 miles to recover 3 flakes of gold. I have tested bags of micro gold and found that the checkers can not separate those signals. I no longer use that 8 mile device and have one that I can control the distance and depth that I search.
I am fascinated to learn how LRL might work. So far I haven't made a connection to what I am familiar with, but I am open minded as some claim to get results. I am trying to broaden my horizons
Most of the posts on here are about Field Generators and rods. That is old technology. One time I needed a device for one hunt. It had to operate in a back pack and use 4 inch rods. I drove up to Oregon and tested a unit for a whole day. I paid the man $1000 for the device and went home and recovered the 2 !/2 oz of gold.. It has set in a drawer every since. My advice is that before you buy any device is that you use it and see if it works like you want it to...Art

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Weight checker is not what it is doing. Some of the good LRL that use dowsing rods have the circuit built in them for testing. What it does is check the strength of the signal line with the frequency you are using to the object you have connected with. This is to find out if you have connected with a real target or just something that is imitating what you are set up for. In other words a ghost signal. Dell did have one that worked to some degree. If you have a problem go back to basic dowsing.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Weight checker is not what it is doing.
That’s what I use mine for
Some of the good LRL that use dowsing rods have the circuit built in them for testing. What it does is check the strength of the signal line with the frequency you are using to the object you have connected with. This is to find out if you have connected with a real target or just something that is imitating what you are set up for. In other words a ghost signal.
Yes some of them have a dial that turns on a system. Yes the signal will move when you turn it on. The next time you get one of these things you call a ghost signal dig it. Lay it on a plastic shower curtain. When the signal for the hole goes away check and see if it has gone to the shower curtain. If you are looking for gold or silver you will find that there are a lot of Micro gold and silver. You can not see this stuff but it is there. Save this stuff as it can be extracted and sells real easy.
Dell did have one that worked to some degree.
I have one of Dells units
If you have a problem go back to basic dowsing.
NO. I keep Dowsing and the use of a LRL as a completely different methods of treasure hunting....Art

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
All the LRL that I have or I have worked just has a off and on switch for getting rid of the ghost signals. The unit I use if there is a ghost signal line you will find two signal lines and once and while both of them are bad because things imitating what you are looking for. Do not dig these signal line objects or it might take you another two yrs to find your real cache. Just shut your machine off and set up again 90 degrees from where you were at.

Art you keep doing it the way you say it works for you. I am trying to explain to people the correct way.

When I said go back to Basic Dowsing, I ment to ask yes and no questions for the size of the real target.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I have had 60 or more signals when I have set up. With rings and Rays it is hard to find which one to follow. After completing my half circle and marking all signals I look at all the marked spots and see If there is a pattern of marked spots showing equal spacing I discard those and follow the odd one that my weight check tells me is the biggest. I already know which ones are from treasure. Have you ever experimented with Coupons?
As far as asking my rods questions I have found that is a waste of my time. I am a physical dowser not a mental dowser..with these devices some of the signals you pick up are returned signals and others are just going to the target....Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread