signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the current prototype of the "Contraption". The thing about drive me crazy, okay, crazier. It's not where I want it yet. I just need to decide to move it further. I think you are witnessing psychosis in progression. LOL Well, maybe I'll reinvent me in the process. It's learn-as-I-go and I'm about to jump into water over my head...again.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just can't help myself to stop tweaking on the Contraption. It probably all sounds like it's too fussy, but really I rarely ever touch the adjustment dials. It's stable as can be. Pretty much as simple as setting a threshold and then never touching it again. It's the other parameters I have been working with...or may be it's 'fighting with'. LOL Not really but, yeah.

Been seeing some glimmer of enthusiasm returning. I need it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So your intent here is by posting these strange posts every once in awhile is to get someone to give you 100k?

I don't think it's working.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I did revise it to "closer to $50k". The idea of this investment would be mainly to build up inventory.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do feel embarrassed my enthusiasm levels are "out of my control". Not high, but low. I can blame a few things but it's not really those things, more to do with how I react to them. Things will turn around if I ever get out and do some hunting.

I don't know if I mentioned the pinpoint accuracy I have been getting on practice targets. When conditions are stable (most of the time these days), from twenty feet I can get the line to the target within a couple inches. From 75 feet within six inches. And this is more to do with how sharp you can aim it. Kinda like aiming a pistol. I don't know about you, but when I go coin hunting with a metal detector, it is not uncommon to miss the target by two inches when the coil is six inches away.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am referring to my practice targets which are on the surface. You can't expect that kind of accuracy on deeply buried targets. Just an example here, if you try to locate a target with the receiver within two feet of a TV set, the line is not going to be exactly on the target. The fields around the TV set will pull the line off target somewhat. Depending on soil content and the stability of the earth's magnetic field, ground currents can cause the same type of thing can happen with deep targets. Basically it is a distortion of the flux lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had something solid to report but this project has been pretty much in suspended animation. Kinda just hoping this project has passed the "rock bottom". Sure feels like I'm somewhere near that point--no money to spend on it, enthusiasm levels are low, weather has been oppressive. Poor, poor pitiful me. LOL. I know, it sounds bad. It is. But like the saying, "The darkest hour is just before dawn." Don't anybody else give up hope on this. It's no pipe dream.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry this project has not come to fruition. Right now the biggest obstacle is money. Not even so much for research just for inventory. Just imagine if you can...a metal detector that works from a hundred yards and only detects gold or whatever it is set for. People will cry B.S. Right now I doubt there are more than a few people who even understand what I am saying. I'm going to have to include a fresh pair of undershorts for anyone who witnesses this. It took me over a year before I admitted to myself what I was seeing.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to call B.S. on ya, Mike... a simple "show me" is a devastatingly effective way to get that answer directly from you.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I didn't get my point across too well--seeing is not believing. It should be, but it's kinda like beyond belief. Almost certain a hard-core skeptic would assume there is some sort of trickery going on.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it works you should have no problem funding additional units.

Take it out and find buckets of gold. Or "whatever it is set on"; like cigarette baseball cards and emeralds.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, looking like I might have to go that route even before I get an investor.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been thinking about redoing the receiver circuit board. Basically a bigger board with all the plug-ins, etc. In other words, the first prototype is not really up to grade just yet (rat's nest. lol) I know I'll feel better once I get it all neat and clean.

Of course I have plans in my head for future developments. Got a long ways to go on that one. And that's an understatement. Of course with funds to hire someone with the right knowledge and skills that time could be cut to hours instead of months (or in my case, years).

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems once in a while one or two of my brain cells light up. Or maybe it's just the Wile E. Coyote ideas popping up in my head. LOL This is the "Up" side of the manic depressive syndrome. LOL The "down" side is when I try to make the thing work.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the Roadrunner escapes unharmed...again! What did you expect? LOL I was seeing if I could push the audio any tighter. I had changed headphones and still not the right ohms, but for some reason I like them better. I know, sounds strange so I will work some more on this. Also did some fiddling with the threshold and learned a few things in the process. Doesn't sound like much, but between those two, the target is more pronounced now. Maybe just my imagination, but the headphones seems faster. I know that also sounds strange. I'll know more after i work with it for a while but I like it for sure.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually took the contraption out to the mountains yesterday. Very poorly planned trip (i was giving my wife a ride to a meeting and only had a few hours before I had to pick her up.) and it took much longer to get to the area than I had thought. I see why Forrest says bring a sandwich and a flashlight. Good chance you will be hungry and it will be dark before you get back. A family member got off with my bear spray so I just had a small canister for use on dogs. Not very reassuring. Yeah, just a comedy of errors on my part. I did get a signal on the gold setting but I assume it was some natural gold. Never even tried another frequency. I admit i was weirded out and not thinking clearly. And I was alone in grizz country which is not advised. Got to see some beautiful scenery. I'm going back better prepared and supplied with more time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully I'll have my crap together a little better next time. Where I really failed was not checking for other elements. I can blame it on short time or being alone with no bear spray. Whatever the excuse. Next time there will probably be other obstacles. I don't know what I was hitting. Of course chances are extremely remote that it is anything other than natural gold.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a show on inventors. Some guy and his brother started a software company (I think) for like $300 and sold it for 4.5B. Anyway, he helps inventors. One guy had some product and wanted $400,000 investment. Well, when they talked the guy said he really wanted $750,000. Just for that, the guy said "No, I don't trust you because you said $400,000."

I can't recall the guy's name but he said the kind of project he wanted were those where the inventor was so stoked about their product that they couldn't sleep at night. Yeah, that was me for the first year-and-a-half or so. Only so much a person can take. I got burnt out. I don't know, maybe that's a sign the project is as far as it's going to go for now. I know it needs a little face lift and I really don't know how much more user friendly it needs to be. I kinda have the feeling that the people who are serious won't need anything to be done.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my brain is gone. I can't make a simple post.

Anyway, trying to explain the contraption here. The e-receiver is the device with the handle and headphones. Hold it at your side and slowly turn it to scan the area. When it sounds off, narrow down the signal to a fraction of a degree very much like pinpointing with a metal detector only from a hundred feet away (gold ring size) or much further for larger targets. Then move over and repeat so there are two lines that intersect right at or very near to the target. It ignores aluminum, iron, pretty much everything except what it is set to locate. Yeah, I know it sounds waaaaaaayyyyyy too good to be true. That's why I compare it to the Jack and the Beanstalk faery tale.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread