signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm signing off...again. LOL I don't know when I'll do a video. Maybe soon, I don't know. Hopefully by the next time I post again. Don't hold your breath on this one.

Oh yeah, my diet is going "good". It was a long haul, but lost 32 lbs. since late June. I'm smack dab in the middle of "normal" weight range now, so that's rarefied air.

Later.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flip-flopping again. I've heard the term "strobing" maybe that's it. Don't even know what that is but it sounds about right. Anyway, pretty much decided against a video until I get the contraption to the level I can say I approve of it. I ain't there yet. It ain't there yet. Huge source of frustration and anxiety. And yeah, I consider I've been handed a failing grade. My brain ain't right, I ain't right. Never have been. I know people want REAL proof--an honest recovery, no trinkets from a city park. And I never found any gold that time I went out, just that unmarked silver ring on the diamond frequency. Could have been by accident. Got a long ways to go and Winter has set in around here. Ouch!

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work on the contraption has been halted. This wasn't even my "invention" so took me this long to figure out. At least I didn't sink a ton of money into it. Plenty, and even more time down the drain, not to mention mental health has suffered severely. Now I know why Dell said what he did about patents. Of course I am as slow as can be.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really want to get this nightmare over with. On a positive note, the low-carb diet is going well. Anybody wants to get healthier, I highly recommend you do your own research and resolve to follow through on it. Once you get going and don't cheat, your appetite will go way down. Oh yeah, I quit the Carnation Breakfast Essentials. That's not low carbs. Replaced it with an egg and some meat for morning food.

Last edited:

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vernell2.jpg The first fully electronic LRL, 1987. Rotate the Antenna and audio sounds when on signal line, oscilloscope shows Signal line. This was too heavy and time consuming to be practical for my purposes. I used later fully electronic LRL's that were lighter and more practical for field use. Dell

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many beaches have lots of Micro Gold and sea water also has gold in it. Collecting Micro gold is fun but then it has to be processed. That is a long process. The easiest way to collect it is in parking lots and rain gutters..Art

Microgold? No... you are not going to find microgold on a beach, at least not a tropical beach. A beach at the bottom of a canyon, sure.

However you will find 16g gold rings. I find them all the time with a simple metal detector. I've yet to EVER see someone with an L rod or LRL find a single ring, or even a quarter for that matter. I'm at the beach almost every weekend detecting with success.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Microgold? No... you are not going to find microgold on a beach, at least not a tropical beach. A beach at the bottom of a canyon, sure.

However you will find 16g gold rings. I find them all the time with a simple metal detector. I've yet to EVER see someone with an L rod or LRL find a single ring, or even a quarter for that matter. I'm at the beach almost every weekend detecting with success.

​ART, is correct. I know for a fact. There is no truth to your claim that micro Gold particles cannot be found on tropical beaches beaches. Dell

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Chinese proverb: A smooth sea never makes for a skilled sailor.

Talk about your cabin fever. I want out so bad. I've been doing a little work indoors, but that is the same as pointing a pistol point blank. BTW, that phrase came about in France where the warriors were skilled archers. The center of the target was painted white. From a distance they had to aim high but at close range the archer aimed right at the white, or point blank (blanc means white in French).

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been messing with the transmitter and went back to an older version. I had made some changes a while back to the power level. Basically thought it was too low, but I found out I like to have the option. More is less.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still trying to torque this FSC (field strength compensator) and it's one step ahead and two steps backward. When I was reprogramming I entered the wrong variable names and the results were in error. Good news is I saw my mistake after about a half-hour of head scratching. i don't want to be a perfectionist, I'm not a perfectionist, but something inside me is forcing me to try to be what I cannot be. Can't leave the darned Contraption alone, have to keep "fixing" it. Don't even know if it's broke right now. LOL I don't think anyone can help my condition. Just find some gold. That will either make it better or worse. LOL

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out in the yard a couple times. One thing I really noticed is the test target has a a nice tight signal from 75 feet.

BTW, there are no controls on the FSC (field strength compensator). It's all automatic, just plug it in and it takes a fraction of a second to stabilize. I really don't know how many times per second it updates, but many times per second.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I got into the digital stuff, I have found too many things to try. Don't think I will ever get this idiot proof, but I just know the closer I can get to that the better. Don't worry, will not let it get like a Mercedes with 92 computers on board but maybe two or three. I know this much, I have enough to keep me busy for quite a long time if i head that direction. Like I've said, if I can't find an investor I'll have to go it alone. I can do it, just going to take a long time. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know it's feasible.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting real good at finding ways that don't work. LOL

My latest Wile E. Coyote idea is to mount the e-receiver on a pivot and be able to monitor it with some graphics display. That's going to require more digital electronics and plenty of head scratching trying to figure everything out. I don't need this but I figure it will make it easier to use for other people. And the major expense is going to be my time and effort. Don't know if I've reached that far into insanity just yet. Might take a few more skunkings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting skunked this Fall and my confidence shakened, I am slowly starting to regain a little bit of it. I was out in the yard yesterday and was feeling good about the results I was getting. It was taking about one minute to lock on to the test target (from about 75 feet away). I guess I was using a bit different search technique. I don't even try to find the target right at first, just point straight ahead and establish a signal. Then after a bit the signal will start to move so I follow it until it stops, about one minute. So I ran through several repetitions and was getting consistent results.

So why couldn't i find any gold last Fall? For starters, the city park I was in has been hit by my LRL for the past thirty years. And constantly being hit for fresh drops by other detectorists. May well be there isn't much gold left there. Not even a busy park to start with. I need a better search area. How much difference the FSC (field strength compensator) will make, I don't know. I can only hope it helps. They're going to have to put my in a strait jacket if the ground doesn't thaw soon.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of late I try not to make any pronouncements about locating equipment. I make a conclusion and the next day I find it to be inaccurate. So I have the same feeling now but I just felt like posting my results.

I ran the Contraption without the FSC and the signal had not locked on the test target after a few minutes (target was way off to the side). So I hooked up the FSC and the signal locked on within thirty seconds. Hard to make any conclusions from one test, but it appears to be an improvement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Hog Day is pretty close to half of Winter is over. And the days are slowly getting longer. There still is some hope. 46 days 3 hours 37 minutes util Spring.

Continually working with the programming of the Contraption. Right now have three different configurations. really need to try them out in real world conditions to find the one I like best.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The days are getting longer but the snow is getting deeper. Another foot on the way. What do you expect for the middle of Winter?

As for the Contraption, been trying to figure out the best configuration and like the song, "you can't always get what you want". Not quite looking like the original all-electronic at 90 lbs., but I am going in the wrong direction. Trying to keep things compact and I'm struggling right now. Guess I need to do some more prayer work. I mean I have the basics for one transmitter configuration with FSC that with an enclosure will fit in the palm of my hand (minus the antenna) a little bigger than the old transistor radio size, but it's not quite where i want it. So still searching for an elegant solution. It's there I just have to find it. If i'd had an investor, all this would be already completed. If I was in a race with a sloth, I would lose.

So got some more Wile E. Coyote ideas out of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm making some progress, I think. It all started when thinking about an enclosure for the FSC so now I have another Wile E. Coyote idea (WECI LOL) ) that has a chance of working. At least I feel like I am moving in the right direction. But I will have to rebuild some stuff on the transmitter and not too motivated to do so until I try it out real world. (Got a hay-wired version right now to see if it will work, but it will require basically a total rebuild.) If so this might be a minor game changer--one step closer--and something i can live with if it works (with plenty more fiddling before everything is ready for prime time viewing).

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe "total rebuild" is a bit extreme. Maybe "transformation" is a better term. When completed, there won't be many of the same parts left.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody was asking when the Contraption will ever be ready. I don't know. Last Fall I went out a few times mainly to city parks and got skunked. So no way I could ever sell such a device which seems to have failed. On top of this, parts availability has become an issue. More on the lines of financial issue. Right now i can't see investing ten-thousand+ dollars for parts on an unproven device--not even somebody else's money. First things first--got to make a find. Yeah, I've made some changes and additions since last Fall. Will it be enough? Just going to have to wait til Spring. I have been working on a new enclosure because the addition of the FSC (field strength compensator) and other stuff. 32 days 3 hours 18 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread