Anyone Dealt With Dr John Melancon at Underground Discovery and Exploration Co.?

johnlaughlin

Dec 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Profiler EMP-400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this man or this company who appear to be out of the Phoenix AZ area. They claim to have a machine that sounds too good to be true.
It is a long range ionic frequency detector. They say they have done over 4,000 field trips all over the world. The unit detects different frequencies of materials and they have painstakingly determined what the frequency is of certain different materials. So, for example, if the technician "tunes" the unit to the frequency of "refined gold" (like a coin) it can detect at very long ranges. This $500,000 machine has a limited "life" and has to be rebuilt regularly and that's not cheap. It can detect 10 oz. clumps of gold from several miles away, for example. It also detects "ionic halos", if gold, for example, was buried for a number of years and then dug up as it leaves a residual "halo" in the ground. They said that everyone who contacts them are 100% positive that they know where some precious metals are buried but only 1/10 of 1% actually result in a successful recovery. It's not because their machine is faulty. It's because most treasure hunters are afflicted with "wishful thinking syndrome" because they often see residual halos of metals in the target spot which means it was dug up previously.
This is probably why they don't sell the machine or take a percentage of recovered finds. They only provide their expert technician who comes out for $5,000/day plus expenses (airfare, meals, ground transportation) with this briefcase-sized machine.
If anyone has dealt with them I'd love to hear from you.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search of Phoenix city licenses, Check the state attorneys web site to see if they have any complaints. This company you're referring to sounds real familiar for some reason. Contact them and ask them to send you a copy of their contract to review with your attorney. And any documentation or news articles showing their success. If you get excuses or no reply that should about answer it for you. I really hate to bash vendors or service providers, but I really think it's all hokum, and you'll just end up with a $5000 bucket of bunk.
Also keep in mind, Customer endorsements don't hold a lot of weight! I can sell a can of sand and get some guys from work and a few neighbors to write up glowing reviews about how well my bucket of sand works for [fill in the blank]!

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm a little familiar with Mr. Melancon (I won't call him Dr. as I understand his degree is from Trinity Southwest University, basically a diploma mill) and very familiar with the device. He is/was associated with Bill Floto, whom I met quite a few years ago when I was invited to witness a demonstration of the device, and offer my evaluation. My opinion was the device was a complete scam. All the acclaimed "science" behind it is a bunch of bullsnort. One statement is true, though: Most treasure hunters are afflicted with "wishful thinking syndrome." Ergo, a market for long range locators.

OP
OP
J

johnlaughlin

Dec 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Profiler EMP-400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNDERGROUND DISCOVERY CO

Yes, I'm a little familiar with Mr. Melancon (I won't call him Dr. as I understand his degree is from Trinity Southwest University, basically a diploma mill) and very familiar with the device. He is/was associated with Bill Floto, whom I met quite a few years ago when I was invited to witness a demonstration of the device, and offer my evaluation. My opinion was the device was a complete scam. All the acclaimed "science" behind it is a bunch of bullsnort. One statement is true, though: Most treasure hunters are afflicted with "wishful thinking syndrome." Ergo, a market for long range locators.

MANY, MANY THANKS!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
"To good to be true"

I can not seem to remember what it is that I heard about the above statement...

Cornel

Apr 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underground Discovery Long Range Detector/ Melancon

Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this man or this company who appear to be out of the Phoenix AZ area. They claim to have a machine that sounds too good to be true.
It is a long range ionic frequency detector. They say they have done over 4,000 field trips all over the world. The unit detects different frequencies of materials and they have painstakingly determined what the frequency is of certain different materials. So, for example, if the technician "tunes" the unit to the frequency of "refined gold" (like a coin) it can detect at very long ranges. This $500,000 machine has a limited "life" and has to be rebuilt regularly and that's not cheap. It can detect 10 oz. clumps of gold from several miles away, for example. It also detects "ionic halos", if gold, for example, was buried for a number of years and then dug up as it leaves a residual "halo" in the ground. They said that everyone who contacts them are 100% positive that they know where some precious metals are buried but only 1/10 of 1% actually result in a successful recovery. It's not because their machine is faulty. It's because most treasure hunters are afflicted with "wishful thinking syndrome" because they often see residual halos of metals in the target spot which means it was dug up previously.
This is probably why they don't sell the machine or take a percentage of recovered finds. They only provide their expert technician who comes out for $5,000/day plus expenses (airfare, meals, ground transportation) with this briefcase-sized machine.
If anyone has dealt with them I'd love to hear from you.
Yes I have dealt with this Dr. I found out he is a minister with a scholastic degree. Very knowledgeable and world traveled. He was a consultant for Underground Discovery.

As far as Underground Discovery is concerned I found their number and business not to be in AZ and was no big deal to me.

I wanted to use their service for $5000. /day
a. they assured me they could prove their equipment worked by inviting me to their test plot to do a search with the long range equipment. They gave me a sealed envelope with the depth and type of metal after I TOLD THEM WHAT I WANTED TO LOOK FOR. After I pinpointed the buried metal they gave me a shovel and let me dig it up. It took 3 hours of digging in clay. We started 2 miles away.
b. before I gave them the $5000 in advance they told me there was less than 1% chance my treasure was still there.
c. the first place we went was my farm in an adjoining state where I buried 30# of silver bullion. The operator found it within 8 minutes at the exact depth that I had buried it with a backhoe.
d. Then the operator told me I had more silver in the barn. I had forgot when I smelted the silver, 4 pounds didn't fit in my mold so I poured it in a 5# coffee can to cool and forgot it. (The operator walked directly to it.)
e. When we finally got to my treasure site, the operator set up and walked directly to a dug hole (approx. 30 yrs old). The depression did not need an archeologist, interpreter, or sign decipher to tell me that that elevated ridge that circled the hole and the depression in the center was screaming that someone beat me to the treasure.
I had budgeted $300,000 for this project and now have more time to accompany my $295,000 for my next project. I couldn't be more happy.

As a side note Underground Discovery didn't contact me, they do no advertising, all positive signs for me! I found their website and met them in Dallas.

Happy hunting,
Glen C.
P.S. Dr. Melancon did not have or operate the equipment I was allowed to use. His comment to me was the most "bull snort" was coming from a company "AL", too many anomalies and false targets for the $50,000 price tag.

Last edited:

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm....... A glowing review by a brand new member that is countering what had been previously said, interesting. What a coincidence that the new member just happened to join at just the right time to see this thread.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

But obviously Carl, your opinion/evaluation of this does not count. Why ? Because you are a "skeptic". Thus you are biased. Thus you can't say it doesn't work. After all, scientists once thought the earth was flat. Tsk tsk. And besides, I bet I can find testimonials of persons who found goodies with this device. The proof is in the pudding after all. Tsk tsk.

Recant and admit they work !!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom everyone knows anecdotal evidence Trumps science every time. ...

Anecdotal evidence , aka "personal testimony" trumps everything. Which is why you and I can probably find "personal testimony" of people who saw Elvis. Or that think they are Napoleon. Or that a witch doctor cured their cancer, etc....

And since we all know that "fact" is judged/evaluated by personal testimony (rather than vice-versa of judging our personal feelings/testimony in-light-of-fact), then presto: Those people did indeed see Elvis. And the fellow most certainly is Napoleon. And witch doctors are most certainly a legitimate form of medicine. eh ?

Yup, I got it.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And witch doctors are most certainly a legitimate form of medicine.

Now you're telling me witch doctors aren't real, I'll have you know I have an appointment with one next Tuesday to have my hemorrhoids chanted over and magic powder blown in my face.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
2screwed, I can tell that you are poking fun at me and the issue. So then the next knee-jerk roll-out fall-back lines will now ensue:

You are just being argumentative. Just being a smart @ss. Just being a troll.

Yes: the earth is flat and witch doctors are great for hernia surgery, hemorrhoids, etc..... Remember: Personal testimony trumps science.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm surprised at you Tom, you forgot to call me a shill for big witch doctor.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2screwed, I can tell that you are poking fun at me and the issue. So then the next knee-jerk roll-out fall-back lines will now ensue:

You are just being argumentative. Just being a smart @ss. Just being a troll.

Yes: the earth is flat and witch doctors are great for hernia surgery, hemorrhoids, etc..... Remember: Personal testimony trumps science.
C'mon Tom, you need to get in "lock-step" with the belief of those that know! Hitler wrote a book on how to do that. 99.99 % of what you believe came from somebody else's word. Is the world round? you only believe that because someone told you. Unless you proved it yourself, you must believe it. Did Japan bomb Pearl Harbor? Prove it yourself. Do LRLs work? I'm not from Missouri but if they expect me to believe it, they need to "show me". They have not done that yet. Are these people trying to prove to me they work, or are they trying to prove it to themselves? ╦╦Ç

Feb 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know who Dr. John Melancon is. Please know that he is a PHONY Archaeologist that uses God as a means to raid artifacts.

Please feel free to contact me if you want the scoop on thus preacher man gone bad and his partners in crime, Donald Patterson, Jerry Kemler and Bill Floto ... AKA The Black Mesa Bandits.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about this. I did see a post on a different forum by one of those guys but it was for a different company and different locating equipment. Don't know why they would need anything other than their claim of 100% accurate locating equipment. BTW, don't believe that, either. Also I am totally skeptical about their claims of thousands of searches for customers. Never seen one post of any report on their searches. Never seen any advertising. Where did all these thousands of people find out about this? I live and breathe this locating and never heard of them until this thread.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please feel free to contact me if you want the scoop on thus preacher man gone bad and his partners in crime, Donald Patterson, Jerry Kemler and Bill Floto ... AKA The Black Mesa Bandits.

Gale, good to see you're still a-kickin'. Likewise, my invitation is still open if you're ready to get a different scoop on the situation. While you may be entirely correct about these people, it's not for the reasons you believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread