Is Long Range Locating dead?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the contest sounds too easy to be true, it probably is. A good publicity gimmick for the promoter though. Dell :laughing7:

You see Shambler ? You would *think* that a test & prize like this, would be able to get to the root of the matter. Right ? Should be able to answer the question. Because if they work, then *certainly* someone would have claimed the challenge money by now. Right ?

But my suggestions at come-back counter-lines in post #17 above were spot-on. We can add Dell's following comeback lines, to continue to the list in #17 :

8) Since this contest sounds too easy to be true, then it's probably not true.

9) It's merely a publicity gimmick for the promoter.

As for the "publicity gimmick" line, this is an oft-used line when it came to James Randi's similar prize challenge. If you ever tried to point that out to the proponents, they would remind you that James is merely a show-man entertainer (which is true by the way, as he started as a magician, and filled many speaking engagements, TV appearances, etc...). Thus this means it is quite clear that James was "only in it for the money".

Hmm, ok, let's dissect that: Anyone challenging this, has to be poor. Because any affluent public figure person's inputs don't count. They *obviously* have a hidden agenda. Hence we can dismiss any challenge that came from an affluent public figure . Ok, got it.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25k isn't enough to be giving away my years of work. I've already said I'm looking for $100K but might accept closer to $50K. Maybe i should take his money and get some free advertising out of the deal, then there would be people lined up to buy in.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have to "give it away". Just demonstrate that it works by finding the targets. Then you get to go home with the money AND a proven device AND great advertising. We'd all be talking about it.

Can't beat that.

If it works.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
$25k isn't enough to be giving away my years of work. I've already said I'm looking for $100K but might accept closer to $50K. Maybe i should take his money and get some free advertising out of the deal, then there would be people lined up to buy in.

Ah yes, there's the next come-back line. We can add to post #17 and post #21:

10) The reward money is not high enough.

You see? It's never that the test or challenge disproves anything. Ingenious !

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Just demonstrate that it works by finding the targets....

Ah but they HAVE "demonstrated that it finds targets". All you have to do is read the testimonials. I'm sure they can point to things they've found. And they will be adamant that it was not due to any other explanation.

Oh, but if you meant "Demonstrated that it finds targets" by a double -blind controlled test, then you must have missed the come-back lines in #17, #21, and #24. Tsk tsk.

You can't win Charlie. Give it up and buy one. Lest we be laughing at you all the way to the bank.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to decide whether I'd rather have the long range detector or the X-Ray Specs.

xray-specs.jpg

Seems like the Specs would be more fun at parties. Decisions, decisions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have to decide whether I'd rather have the long range detector or the X-Ray Specs.

xray-specs.jpg

Seems like the Specs would be more fun at parties. Decisions, decisions.

And if you get the x-ray spec's, and can't see through clothing, it doesn't mean they don't work. It merely means you need more practice.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler, this is *much* too easy to debunk. That challenge means or proves nothing. Haven't you heard the various come-back lines ?

1) The tests are unfairly rigged. Made impossible to pass.

2) And they are akin to trying to rough up an md'r by saying: Show me you can find a gold coin at this park or ghost town, or else I won't believe that metal detectors work. Ie.: even an MD'r is going to have good and bad days, and doesn't always find a goodie. SO WHY THE DOUBLE STANDARD for LRL "proof " ?

3) It takes years of practice. So if you ever point out someone who failed those skeptic's tests, well that merely means the test participant wasn't skilled enough. If he's been doing it for a year, well, he needs 2 yrs. If he's been at it for 2 yrs, well then he needs 5. If he's done it for 5, well he needs 10. And so on till infinity. It's never that the devices don't work, it's just that the tester wasn't skilled enough.

4) #3 explanation is ESPECIALLY handy when it's the skeptics themselves who try to test a device. Well ... tsk tsk ... they didn't practice and learn long enough.

5) You have to believe. And while I *know* this sounds "mystical", but the proponents will point out, that in a certain way, so too do you have to "believe" in metal detecting. Ie.: if you're having a down day (depressed about something, mind not concentrating) well then, surprise surprise, you'll find less md'ing that day. Same with LRL: You must "believe". Hence a skeptic can never test one, since, by definition, he doesn't "believe".

6) Skeptics standing nearby the testing can foil the tests by various means. Like by having magnets in their pockets.

7) Durned that mineralized soil interference, sunspots, solar flares, wind affecting the rods, etc .... Any time it doesn't work during a test, does NOT mean "it doesn't work". It merely means you look around, and find some source of interference.

Thus the fact of some skeptics un-claimed challenge money means absolutely nothing to the topic of "do they work?" Hence repent and buy one. Lest we be laughing at you all the way to the bank. Muahahaha

What is your excuse, Tom, Shambler? :dontknow:

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right. There should be nothing to buy.

Sometimes I'm sitting on my duff and just think "I guess I'll go metal detecting". So I pack up my detector and trowel (your "gimmie" is a cell phone so my "gimmie" is a real metal detector) and I let the detecting muses and spirits guide my feet and hands to take me to one of the two-dozen detecting spots I have locally. And then, Shazam!, after a few wipes of the detector I start to find coins, sometimes gold jewelry, interesting relics.

Must be those otherwise undetectable "eight ray" emissions from inert metals have penetrated the eather and called me from afar to seek them out. It is miraculous.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also enjoy using a metal detector to find near surface targets. But, when I search for deep buried Treasures, a metal detector just won't do the job, so I use what works for me. LRL's included. Actually, +
LRL's don't detect metals. They detect a concentrations of the Earth's Magnetic field, that surrounds the metal. Specific Frequency is used to discriminate the metal.

Sorry, I have never tried your method of contacting Spirits, or searching for eight ray emissions. I am glad you are having success. Dell

They also have Free apps to change your smart phone into a Metal Detector, or a magnetometer. Dell

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LRL's don't detect metals. They detect a concentrations of the Earth's Magnetic field, that surrounds the metal. Specific Frequency is used to discriminate the metal.

If that is the case, they would only detect ferric metals - which are what cause variations in the Earth's magnetic field. How do you get them to ignore the REALLY big lump of magnetic metal at the Earth's core?

"Specific Frequency" to detect metal? You mean the metal is producing a frequency of emissions? If that is the case it would, by definition, only detect radioactive metals (Radio-active means it emits a wave frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum). Gold, silver, platinum, etc. do not. You have to produce a wave they will bounce or absorb back. (Like light for a visual return, a detectors' pulse or field for buried objects, etc.) Now who's chasing spirits?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, why do you keep suggesting people buy an LRL? Isn't FREE better? You can promote this article, complete with Frequencies and operating instructions and be a hero for debunking MFD, LRL, and saving people a big bundle of their hard earned money.. Dell :dontknow:

:hello2:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/long-range-locators/544228-free-lrl.html

Dell , This is EXACTLY why Charlie and Shambler should try it. Not just for the come-back-line reasons I rehearsed, but because the device is free. It's a win-win for everyone.

Ok Shambler and Charlie, you're going to do it now, right ? After all: If you've never tried it personally, you have no room to critique , right ? (that's another of the proponent's come-back lines BTW :))

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If that is the case, they would only detect ferric metals - which are what cause variations in the Earth's magnetic field. How do you get them to ignore the REALLY big lump of magnetic metal at the Earth's core?

"Specific Frequency" to detect metal? You mean the metal is producing a frequency of emissions? If that is the case it would, by definition, only detect radioactive metals (Radio-active means it emits a wave frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum). Gold, silver, platinum, etc. do not. You have to produce a wave they will bounce or absorb back. (Like light for a visual return, a detectors' pulse or field for buried objects, etc.) Now who's chasing spirits?

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie: You are so unrehearsed on the come-back lines. This is much too easy. Here's the answer to all you pose here:

"It's undiscovered science. Just as scientists once thought the earth was flat. Or how scientists once told us that heavier than air flight was impossible. So too with LRLs".

So repent and take advantage of the free one. Give it a try. Report back your results. Oh, and if it doesn't work for you, not to worry: The come-back lines will suffice to explain that.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are LOTS of things I have never tried.

ATM machines, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, heroin, LSD.

If the thing worked I'd just be bored stiff after a year of shoveling gold and emeralds into wheel barrows and driving my Maserattis and Bentleys. Then what?

No, I don't think easy money is good for character. So I sit and snipe instead. ;-)

on the other hand, I guess you could spend your time giving lectures to scientists and physicists about the formerly unknown properties of matter that you had harnessed. Spend your time publishing journals and updating your Wikipedia entry.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread