Long range locater way back in early 1990's

Nov 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend over 20 years ago who owned a long range finder. It came with a square box that had digital settings that you could set to gold, silver, etc. It also had 2 wires that you stuck in the ground, and two "L" shaped rods you held in your hands while locating. He paid close to $2000. for that long range finder, moved away and when I heard he passed away, I called his family to inquire about buying it from them only to find out they didn't know what it was and sold it to a pawn shop. I can't remember what it was called, but he had real good luck with it while living here in Arkansas. Does anyone on Treasure.net have any idea what this was actually called?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. There were several Companies Making them.
All were outrageously Priced imo .
I Personally Doubted their Ability to Locate anything But Buyers.

Though there were/are some who Swear they work.

Personally I Think they work as well as a Pair of Dowsing Rods.

And only for those who Can also get Dowsing Rods to work For Them.

(a Psychic Thing :dontknow: )

I Knew an Old Gentleman. As Long as I Knew Him ,
He was looking for a Cache in the Town he was Born in.
His Dads Cache I Think.
(Ghost Town Now) Every time a New Better Detector came Out He bought it.

Long Story, Shortened . He swore LRL's work.
Even inferred he Had one. Yet he never Found the Cache with it so :dontknow:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Nope. They worked. How can you argue with a picture of a guy posed next to the jar of coins he just found, eh ? Photographs don't lie after all, eh ?

And if you can't replicate the results in double blind tests, that merely means you're not using it correctly (you need more practice). And if you think the science of it doesn't work out logically, that merely means it's un-discovered science . Eg.: like how scientist once thought the earth was flat, or that heavier than air flight was impossible.

Thus: Repent of your kill-joy attitude.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. They worked. How can you argue with a picture of a guy posed next to the jar of coins he just found, eh ? Photographs don't lie after all, eh ?

And if you can't replicate the results in double blind tests, that merely means you're not using it correctly (you need more practice). And if you think the science of it doesn't work out logically, that merely means it's un-discovered science . Eg.: like how scientist once thought the earth was flat, or that heavier than air flight was impossible.

You guys.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend over 20 years ago who owned a long range finder. It came with a square box that had digital settings that you could set to gold, silver, etc. It also had 2 wires that you stuck in the ground, and two "L" shaped rods you held in your hands while locating. He paid close to $2000. for that long range finder, moved away and when I heard he passed away, I called his family to inquire about buying it from them only to find out they didn't know what it was and sold it to a pawn shop. I can't remember what it was called, but he had real good luck with it while living here in Arkansas. Does anyone on Treasure.net have any idea what this was actually called?

In all seriousness, what you describe, the age, and the price suggest to me it was an Omni-Range Master made by Bob Yocum. The State of Nevada shut him down many years ago and I'd guess he's dead now.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all seriousness, what you describe, the age, and the price suggest to me it was an Omni-Range Master made by Bob Yocum. The State of Nevada shut him down many years ago and I'd guess he's dead now.

Pretty sure he's still alive. I checked up on him for Spar a few years ago and no DC was listed. Ironically that was the first LRL he asked me about and didn't like it much when I agreed with you lol.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually quite simple... If they worked, there wouldn't be any Gold or Silver anywhere because the user's would have found all of it already!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not gonna lie, missed you in these dowsing and lrl forums.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It's actually quite simple... If they worked, there wouldn't be any Gold or Silver anywhere because the user's would have found all of it already!

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate here (and beat the proponent's to the punch-line) : Why can't you apply the same logic to metal detectors ? Since there is still gold and silver to be found, then ......... by your own logic, metal detectors "don't work". Because if they did, the users would have found all of it already ?

Tsk tsk. Repent of your killjoy stance on LRLs :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nevada shut him down... dead now... any connection here? Hmm? TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom! I guess those that don't believe they work never prayed either! Eh? TTC

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate here (and beat the proponent's to the punch-line) : Why can't you apply the same logic to metal detectors ? Since there is still gold and silver to be found, then ......... by your own logic, metal detectors "don't work". Because if they did, the users would have found all of it already ?

Tsk tsk. Repent of your killjoy stance on LRLs :laughing7:

That's because metal detectors are short range detectors. A long range detector should logically detect all gold and silver from where you are standing to a great distance away, therefore giving you an endless amount of locations to dig it all up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's because metal detectors are short range detectors. A long range detector should logically detect all gold and silver from where you are standing to a great distance away, therefore giving you an endless amount of locations to dig it all up.

You are being FAR too logical here .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Tom! I guess those that don't believe they work never prayed either! Eh? TTC

"belief" ?? Prayer?? Oh me oh my. You're starting to introduce feeling and spiritual oriented aspects to the issue. And we simply can't have that. There's *got* to be a totally scientific explanation to all of this. Otherwise, it enters into the hocus pocus realm. And we simply can't have that :icon_scratch:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"belief" ?? Prayer?? Oh me oh my. You're starting to introduce feeling and spiritual oriented aspects to the issue. And we simply can't have that. There's *got* to be a totally scientific explanation to all of this. Otherwise, it enters into the hocus pocus realm. And we simply can't have that :icon_scratch:
I just figured there MUST be Devine intervention when using them. I mean, those rods ARE called DEVINING rods, aren't they? (OMG, I found something!) TTC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread