Empty holes--why isn't the target at the pinpoint?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've read what Dell Winders says about this--the target is usually several degrees off from the pinpoint and you need to dig down a ways then recheck the line. I had never known the reason for this. Somebody said it was the magnetic field tilted because of the earth's field. Well, maybe that has some effect.

I noticed this effect when I was messing with the Contraption I am working on. I placed a test target inside our cast iron wood stove. I don't know how thick but something over 1/8" thick metal. The signal line was off about an inch or two.

Assume you are a longs ways back from the target. That is a shallow angle. Any bending is going to make the target appear much closer than it really is. Just an example I was detecting/locating last Fall and got a hot spot maybe 75 feet away. Nothing there. I gave up on that spot. Later I was in the same area came in from a different angle and just by luck I was detecting and found a silver coin. it was right in line from the original hot spot but ten feet further down the line.

This is probably the reason why surface targets are easier to locate--you do not have the bending.

I probably got this wrong. Refraction in water says the target should be closer than it appears. I guess maybe it isn't the same exact effect but there is definitely bending going on. So maybe somebody more knowledgeable can answer this one.

I'm thinking the energy that comes back out (eddy currents) maybe there is some phase change there or the signal travels through the conductive ground. maybe it's the point where the signal enters the ground like Sam "Lobo" Wolfe talked about. he also said there is a hot spot where the signal comes back out after it hits the target and deflects.

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detection device are you using?? A conventional metal detector?

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Contraption is a molecular resonance device. Sends out a frequency which charges the ground and makes a pathway, some call it "tunnelling". Others say it's a plasma path. Above ELF, like SLF or ULF, even up to VLF. Here is one description of s similar effect.

Tesla's Big Mistake?

Of course i would like to build something like this using the metal detector configuration. Imagine a metal detector that only found gold or silver underneath an iron plate. That's what this one does only not so portable and it takes a few minutes for the ground to charge up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't anything new. The original MFD's did not use L-rods to detect the signal line. Dell Winders discovered that L-rods could be used to locate the line to the target. That's kinda where everything made a turn that the skeptic scientist types could not accept. I think he said the original device weighed 90 pounds. Not very portable. So modern technology has made much smaller size, etc. And yeah, no L-rods just like the original device.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to Lobo, originally Christopher Hills said the dowsing signal travels on the sunshine rays (carrier wave) back towards the sun. So logic would say this is the same thing happening with the frequency signal. Whatever the reason/explanation, the effect is that the target appears closer than it really is. And not just a few inches like at close range, but much farther.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably did a good job of confusing this issue. LOL Back to the original idea here. The hot spot is not where the target it located. It is further down the line. This is for the Contraption which uses an above ground transmitter coil--not ground probes. I can even see that L-rods might get you closer because you walk to the target area vs. just receiving the signal from a distance.

Confused yet? I am. :dontknow:

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this Spring I will be testing my theory in the real world. I'm not against using L-rods if that's what it takes to make the final pinpoint, but I still want to get a device that the general public can use--no L-rods or what I half-jokingly call M.I.T.A.S. --Medieval Implements of Torture And Superstition.

I know the issues with the rods--NOBODY wants to make the effort to learn some even basic form of Meditation. Even once you get that it is not all-that-easy to maintain. So I'm working on it. maybe some day all treasure hunters will hold me in high esteem. They ought to after all the work I've done to get this far in the past forty years. But i ain't holding my breath. Most would just as soon step on my neck to keep their own above water.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In MFD this would be caused by diffraction. You could actually determine the amount by using inverse fourier transform if you know the variables.

Of course the only real thing that would reflect a wave at the majority of MFD frequencies is the ionosphere.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most all the MFD's had ground probes. Dell said you get a more accurate pinpoint with the probes in the ground vs in the air. His instructions show the signal does not come straight up out of the ground on deep targets, think he said three feet deep or more you have to dig then recheck the signal to see which way it moved.

There's something like refraction going on (Like how a stick looks bent when you put it in water). I don't know but I've seen it several times. So yeah, it's something to be aware of especially if your coil/probes/antenna is above ground.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not refraction, but diffraction. The wave is moving around the obstacle as it returns. Probes are just that, probes. They should always be in the media you're searching in. Unless you looking for something in the air the probe should be in the ground.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was refraction you wouldn't receive the return signal at all. The projected signal would be shifted too far away even at minor angles to find the target*. Especially with concave and convex surfaces. Diffraction causes the wave to move around or penetrate a hole before spreading back out. This will cause appear off center until it returns to a full wave. Of course this all moot because of the wave size at low frequency or ultra low frequency in the case of gold.

*This is a phenomena of LRLs** only. With dowsing you are receiver only. There is no projected signal in that case. We have no way of knowing what the wave size is in dowsing.

**I point this out since even though were discussing MFD and LRL it's the same as discussing how the force works in Star Wars or magic in Harry Potter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread