Qn:how to avoid mirror image of a real target

biglizer

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks
I have a big problem when i survey new areas ,even in a known target ,the signal line sometimes tend to shift from its original position of target causing false location ,sometimes the reflection fluctuates from few inches to some feets
Am using signal generator,l-rod,two ground probes waiting for 10 minutes then i start to survey
For mfds GURUS please share your experience

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't know that I believe any of the mirror image stuff. There are reasons why the line does not go to the target sometimes, but I think it's more to do with the Earth's magnetic field shifting or the ionosphere being bombarded by solar storm blasts.

For dowsing people talk about pointing a pencil at the suspected spot and see if it moves. I've noticed just walking through the area is enough to disrupt any false signals. Sam "Lobo" Wolfe said try working after sunset.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know anything about long-range locators or how they work. But I do know navigation and reciprocal headings and even the old radio navigation methods.

When you have a signal with the old radio units RDF the antenna is in line with the station - but you don't know to which "side". So you continue on a heading for a distance and take a second reading. Then you can triangulate the location of the station pretty well.

So, take a reading, move (how far I guess depends on how far away you thing they might work, but the further you move the better your fix should be), take a reading. To be real accurate turn 90 degrees, move, and take a third reading (in case you happened to move directly at or away from the target the first time).

If there is any science to them, that should work.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know anything about long-range locators or how they work. But I do know navigation and reciprocal headings and even the old radio navigation methods.

When you have a signal with the old radio units RDF the antenna is in line with the station - but you don't know to which "side". So you continue on a heading for a distance and take a second reading. Then you can triangulate the location of the station pretty well.

So, take a reading, move (how far I guess depends on how far away you thing they might work, but the further you move the better your fix should be), take a reading. To be real accurate turn 90 degrees, move, and take a third reading (in case you happened to move directly at or away from the target the first time).

If there is any science to them, that should work.

Yes, good point I forgot to mention. The target can be ahead of you or behind you on that line. Same thing with an L-rod when circling a frequency generator. The rod aligns with the line to the target by not necessarily pointing towards the target--could be pointing away from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions