Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Lost Adams Diggings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times

Re: The Lost Adams Diggings

Peter,

I think my post got lost in the "upper ether" so I'll try again.

Here is my suggestion. Would you post a pix of your zig - zag canyon from a GoggleEarth view and I will post mine. If you have located a zig - zag canyon, I would like to see how close it matches my discovery and my "minds eye" understanding of the published clue we all have read about in all those publications.

What say you, Peter?

Bill

Feb 2008
    603 times

peterm:

Please get down to it, we aren't getting any younger ya know. Show your
    cards or fold.

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Quote Originally Posted by peterm
    ... Next, my sources of information are the Adams manuscript and the Brewer manuscript. Both written by survivors of the expeditions as well as maps of the 1860's.

Next, there are three recorded expeditions to the canyon. Each one starts from a different location and go in a slightly different direction but meet at the same canyon. Coincidence? Probably because each expedition had the same guide.

All the information I use comes from nothing older than the 1860's. ...
    Thanks for this interesting angle on things. I have a question or two concerning your statement that none of your information is older than the 1860's. I'm not aware of an 'Adams manuscript' from this time period - can you provide additional information about it? As I recall, we don't have Adams telling his story for the first time until the mid-1870's to RC Patterson. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 'Brewer manuscript' is the 1928 El Paso Herald article written by Ammon Tenney about the LAD based on his experiences with John Brewer, whom he met for the first time in the late 1880's, or so he claims. A third question: which 'three expeditions with the same guide' are you referring to? If we all have an understanding of how you put together your theory, we could discuss it.

For years I also deduced that the LAD had to be located somewhere westerly from Magdelena, NM. If this is a rich placer deposit, then I currently would place its location further south and west as I've mentioned elsewhere.

On the other hand, I feel there are very good odds that the 'Adams incident' is something other than a lost placer deposit, and if so, could very well have occurred somewhere along the old road from California to the Rio Grande that followed the Williams Fork to the Little Colorado to Zuni and on to the Rio Grande - in the area that you are partial to. The E.V. Batchler account from 1938 directly accuses Adams and others of the murder and theft of a couple hundred pounds of placer gold from a party returning east on that same road from the California gold fields. Whether or not we can believe this account any more than the various LAD accounts is questionable of course, but it offers a plausible explanation as to why the diggings have never been located and where the gold came from in the first place. Notwithstanding Brewer's involvement, to me Jacob Snively is the dark presence that puts this scenario in the 'possible' catagory. If not an ambush of prospectors, it might have been something else (ala Bob Brewer's LAD allegations [another Brewer ... hmmm]), but IMO, the LAD may be a red herring cover story for something else that needed to be hushed up.

Of course, Peter, you may have the answer to all this in your pocket. I'd like to hear more specifics.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times

Springfield,

That was an excellent post in response to peterm's elaboration. I have a couple of questions for peterm as well, but I think I'll wait to read his follow-on comments first.

Bill

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

I expect that the hardest information for anyone searching for the canyon to accept is that there were two men named Adams on two different expeditions, one in 1862 and one in 1864. And that Brewer was part of the 1862 expedition not the 1864. The 1862 expedition entered the canyon on the southeast corner. The 1864 expedition entered the canyon on the northeast corner.

My process is to start from where the expedition started and go in the direction they went looking for the landmarks mentioned and see where it takes me. I do not look for a canyon that fits the clues first; that would be a waste of time and very poor research technique.

These two expeditions met at the same canyon. The third expedition report, I came across much later in my research and quite by accident. It wasn't very long, but gave a starting point and a direction and it too ended up at the same canyon. This expedition entered the canyon from the southeast. Too many coincidences to be ignored.

I have read just about anything that was ever written on the LAD. Many are very amusing. Some are probably true based on another Adams. I would expect that this surname is quiet popular.

I had to hunt really hard to find copies of the manuscripts and, of course, making copies of them was not permitted. Others may find them easier.

Of course, the best way to check out a story is to see if any of the information given is correct. If you can't prove it yourself, then don't use it.

Well, don't know if I answered your questions or just confused you.

Need to run along.

Pete
    Seems like you are as confused as the rest of the LAD searchers have been the past 150 years with conflicting stories. That's certainly understandable.

It seems like you are unwilling to respond to the first paragraph from post #37 above. Sorry, it's hard to swallow the 'dog ate my homework' excuse for the absence of your source material. Couldn't make copies, eh? OK, then where are these documents located? Maybe other interested parties might like to track them down.

Feb 2008
    603 times

Springfield:

Do you have a link to the Batchler account handy?

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    Springfield:

Do you have a link to the Batchler account handy?
    Here's one:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/wpa/18090108.html

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Not confused. I have everything where it belongs. I have a very extensive library. Each and every article has been thoroughly researched.

Let's look at another aspect.

When Adams went to relocate the canyon, he searched a certain area. When Brewer went to relocate the canyon, he searched a certain area. Interestingly, they were the same areas! Coincidence? Hmmm.

I think I would be doing other researchers a disservice by telling them where to fine the documents. After all, the best thing about looking for lost treasure is the research.

If you think that I am wrong, then talk about the information you use, how you verified it and proved it to be connected to the canyon. But only if you feel comfortable doing so.

Pete
    Like others, I assume, I figured you might have some interesting things to say about the LAD Pete, but you've been continuously evading the discussion since you weighed in. This indicates to me that maybe you don't really have anything of value to say. The 'I've Got A Secret' stance may help bolster your ego, but it doesn't seem to be gaining much traction on the forum. In case you need reminding - nobody here is claiming to know where the diggings, if they exist, are located, except you. The ball's in your court.

Feb 2008
    603 times

Springfield:

Just wanted to say thanks for that link. Very thought provoking and it
    has a ring of truth.

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Here's what we know so far:
    a) Pete is using the same resources available to all LAD researchers
    b) Pete has a theory as to the location of the LAD
    c) Pete wants people to think he's found the LAD gold
    d) Pete appears to be seeking a folllowing

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Quote Originally Posted by lastleg
    Springfield:

Just wanted to say thanks for that link. Very thought provoking and it
    has a ring of truth.
    You're welcome, leg. I would imagine with most or all of these legends, the truth is seldom as it seems.

Feb 2008
    603 times

I have read that assayers in that era could identify the district a sample came
    from. This is the type information I've been looking for in the Adams yarn. If
    we only had a specimen but no chance of that now.

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

I was hoping that this forum had serious researchers who are looking for the LAD, but it appears that this is not true. A researcher would have understood what I have presented. I have no theory only information that has been backed up by years of field work and research from private collections in libraries across the country. I don't care what you believe in. Obviously, all you want to do is share stories with each other and have no inclination to do research. Believe what you will and keep dreaming about the LAD because that is all you will ever have.

Adios from a successful prospector!

Pete
    We were hoping for the same, Pete. If you'll notice, Mr. Research, you are the only one here who has claimed a certain knowledge about this particular campfire tale. You claim to have found the Adams site, and by repeated inference, the gold. You offer nothing but double talk to back it up.

Nobody asked you to reveal the location of your big secret, no matter how strenuously you waved the 'I Found It!' flag in the readers' faces. You brag about your years of field work and library time, but what about the 'real' LAD seekers - you know, the seasoned, dedicated prospectors, cowboys and others that really did spend years in the hills searching every canyon and ravine in two states. These guys didn't check out canyons during day hikes - they lived there until they were satisfied, then moved on to the next site. Hundreds of these types for decades, tramping back and forth over your target area and many others. But you claim to have information nobody else did, or were smarter than those who have covered your ideas decades ago, and were able to find the gold that others have missed. Curious.

I suggest you write a book about the whole thing so that a wider audience can appreciate what you've done. Be prepared for that wider audience to demand some verification of your claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I hope your reluctance to discuss your years of work isn't due to a lack of confidence in its veracity, but that's what it's sounding like.

As you yourself posted 8/29/2008, 'Oh, by the way, I'm currently cruising the Med on my private yacht contemplating turning my research talents toward finding sunken treasure'. How's that working for you?

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

....Sounds to me like you're just an armchair reader of stories....
    Believe what you wish.

Feb 2008
    603 times

Peterm:

If you are having trouble translating the Spanish Archives not to worry.
    Just download it on this site and we will do it free gratis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links