The Lost Adams Diggings

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Hey Fellas, Hola Oroblanco

I have six different printed versions that have supposed directions from Ord to the gold. All were originally written before 1880 using second and third hand info., given by people, directly from Adams /Brewer or recorded by people who are proven to have spoken to those who got info directly fron Adams/Brewer. Four of the six 'reporters' name Wingate as the fort Gotch-ear spoke of , specifically, as he pointed out the 'wagon road' that led north. I do not wish to second-guess them; the 'KISS' principle works well here.

It works especially well when one searches out maps that show military roads of the period for New Mexico Territory. These maps were, of neccessity, quite accurate for not being surveyed or satelite photoed. Unlike today, maps could be a life-or-death tool in Apache country in mid-1800's.

Perhaps my mind is too simple to go off on a dozen tangents. There are five clues that are separate and non-conflicting; East from Ord - South from Wingate - East/south-east from location of future Fort Apache - West from 'a day's walk' from Pueblo Arieto on Rio Grande - Northwest from Warm Springs Agency. These clues cover the implied routes of the full group of miners, Adams, Brewer, Supply Party, and Ciy'e Nana's directions to James Chase.

In case you are wondering why I am 'running my mouth' here; After I quit running around in circles and started thinking instead, I find I have grown too old and bunged up to actually search for this sucker. Oh well,....Life's a bitch.

Use your head and good luck.

Bud

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
BudP said:
...I have six different printed versions ...
I've got over twenty, including a family memoir from a Silver City mining man who talked directly with Adams in Southern California and targeted a canyon nobody else has ever mentioned. Despite all this, I wouldn't bet two bits as to the location of the diggings, or whether they really exist at all for that matter. Makes for great fun talking about it though. Regarding forts, Camp Grant has a lot of merit with Fort West on the table too. I personally gave up on Wingate a long time ago, but ... who knows?

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
One of my "pet" projects, LOL

I even have a couple hand drawn maps that are supposedly irrefutable.
I still go out prospecting the area, but only to prospect anymore. Those canyons are pretty despicable and are not in the least user friendly. My advice to the beginner is don't.

There are a lot of legends that are more viable than this one.
They are a lot more survivable too.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Springfield said:
BudP said:
...I have six different printed versions ...
I've got over twenty, including a family memoir from a Silver City mining man who talked directly with Adams in Southern California and targeted a canyon nobody else has ever mentioned. Despite all this, I wouldn't bet two bits as to the location of the diggings, or whether they really exist at all for that matter. Makes for great fun talking about it though. Regarding forts, Camp Grant has a lot of merit with Fort West on the table too. I personally gave up on Wingate a long time ago, but ... who knows?

I firmly believe the 'Adams' exists. The people I believe in are those who believed Adams, Brewer and Davidson enough to ante-up for credible searches, those such as CA Shaw, Major Eugene Fechet, DB Sturgeon-Army Doctor, and a few hints from Ammon Tenney, close friend of Brewer. These men had current information which was timely, not speculation and literary license a hundred years later.

The biggest reason I think Wingate is THE fort, the men who were there, on the spot-at the time (Adams and Brewer), both were witnessed saying Gotch-ear called the trail/wagon road, 'the route to fort Wingate and supplies'. Anything else is pure speculation by later searchers who started from the 'wrong' Wingate and found nothing, then started listening to Dobie and others of his ilk......Just my take.

Bud

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Old Dog said:
One of my "pet" projects, LOL

I even have a couple hand drawn maps that are supposedly irrefutable.
I still go out prospecting the area, but only to prospect anymore. Those canyons are pretty despicable and are not in the least user friendly. My advice to the beginner is don't.

There are a lot of legends that are more viable than this one.
They are a lot more survivable too.

Yeah, I think I might have the same maps - Apache Box area? We were involved in a search and rescue for a LAD pilgrim a couple years ago above the Rio San Francisco north of Mule Creek, NM. Man, what rough country. You can skirt through it, but you'll never see much of it up close. Same all over the southwest. By the way, 'malpais' doesn't necessarily translate to 'lava flow' - a serious misconception that has painted many a LAD searcher into a corner.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
[/quote] By the way, 'malpais' doesn't necessarily translate to 'lava flow' - a serious misconception that has painted many a LAD searcher into a corner.
[/quote]

'malpais'=bad ground/bad country

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Another variation I remember, stems from the events that followed after the massacre.
As I heard it from my uncle and vague on my part at that, two men were sent to Fort Apache for supplies; a route that took a couple of days each way. I remember hearing that the camp was attacked more than once over the five trips they made into the area. The first attack was on the trail, somewhere between the Fort and the site, and from there the natives moved in on them again as they were preparing to leave for home. There is legend of several attacks or massacres that took place on early Spanish/Mexican mine sites here in Utah and it appears that each time they were wiped out just as they were again preparing to hit the trail. The Natives claim to have thrown the bodies of their victims and the rest of the pack train back into the mine; on more than one occasion.

Supposedly, these two miners were on the way back from the Fort when the battle took place and as they had been held up due to bad weather, rain I think, the party would have otherwise been on the trail and already gone. Either way every one died accept for Adams and one of the other two miners, but his wounds proved to be fatal and he died on the way back. Thats how I remember it anyway. Adams was the only survivor on the last trip and returned seriously wounded due to an arrow in his belly that had been there for the entire three days it took to get back to Show Low and the Old Calvary Saloon where he dropped and passed out on the floor. Now it appears that there were two separate Germans by the name of Adams, two separate mother lodes; both of fable and fortune, found and not found. Peralto here.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Springfield - if you are still following this thread, that treasure hunter you had mentioned Ballinger, had his name cleared; here is what I ran across quite by accident:

A Name Cleared

Gene Ballinger , 58, a former editor at New Mexico's weekly Lordsburg Liberal , wins a 13-year battle with the state's judicial system when a federal appeals court overturns his 1980 murder conviction. A jury had found Ballinger guilty based on the testimony of John Rizzo , who said he had seen Ballinger march the victim away at gunpoint. Rizzo, who was granted immunity to testify, told the jury that he was able to lead police to the body and weapon not because he was the killer, but because he had learned the information by hanging a pendulum over a map and "dowsing" for the remote locations. Ballinger, who completed a four-year prison term, began work as editor of the weekly Courier in Hatch, New Mexico, the day of his 1990 release. "When something like this happens to you, especially in our business, you come to appreciate the hell [unjustly convicted] people go through," he says. "Any time a court makes a decision, I take a long, deep look to see why."

This makes me really wonder about Rizzo - and would his immunity obtained for his testimony then, now protect him from a murder charge?
Roy

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco said:
Springfield - if you are still following this thread, that treasure hunter you had mentioned Ballinger, had his name cleared; here is what I ran across quite by accident:

A Name Cleared

Gene Ballinger , 58, a former editor at New Mexico's weekly Lordsburg Liberal , wins a 13-year battle with the state's judicial system when a federal appeals court overturns his 1980 murder conviction. A jury had found Ballinger guilty based on the testimony of John Rizzo , who said he had seen Ballinger march the victim away at gunpoint. Rizzo, who was granted immunity to testify, told the jury that he was able to lead police to the body and weapon not because he was the killer, but because he had learned the information by hanging a pendulum over a map and "dowsing" for the remote locations. Ballinger, who completed a four-year prison term, began work as editor of the weekly Courier in Hatch, New Mexico, the day of his 1990 release. "When something like this happens to you, especially in our business, you come to appreciate the hell [unjustly convicted] people go through," he says. "Any time a court makes a decision, I take a long, deep look to see why."

This makes me really wonder about Rizzo - and would his immunity obtained for his testimony then, now protect him from a murder charge?
Roy

Hi Oro (from Athens, Greece, where we saw some great historical sites today):
I attended the trial in 1980 and at the time thought (along with most others at the time) that Rizzo was the culprit. I don't know what has happened with Rizzo since, or as you say, whether he might still be on the hook. My guess is that nothing more will come of it.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
WOW Springfield - Athens, the Acropolis, the temple of Athena! The birthplace of Democracy! I am jealous amigo!
<I hope you folks are having a great time, remember you only live once.> That would be sad and injustice if Rizzo now is scot-free, as Real de Tayopa pointed out murder has no statute of limitations, but if Rizzo made his deal of immunity will that protect him? I don't know and hope not.
Roy

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
A deal for immunity is based upon sworn testimony or in other words, the truth. If it is later determined that the testimony was false then the immunity deal is invalid. Also perjury charges come into play.

filemaker01

Jun 2, 2010
First, I apologize for being away for a while. I had to take care of my health and go through physical rehab elsewhere away from my computer. I also thought there was little interest and it seemed so odd to me myself after reading others posts and doubts, but now I see a lot more interest by those who posted their interests.

I’ll be happy to show the area if everyone interested can understand, that the main treasure could still be there, but it’s doubtful after reading Jensen’s posts since 2003 where the site was last updated as Tommy I believe mentioned. That’s nearly eight years and I can’t find one single article regarding the place. If there are those still interested, please post so. I wrote earlier and haven’t seen anyone return since but then it’s coming into the holidays so everyone is busy I’m sure. Besides, it may be better to wait until early Spring weather permitting to go there in person to the LAD. Helicopter service would be the best bet, besides, this area is a very good representation of how gold forms over many hundreds of thousands if not millions of years. There are other claims of the LAD being found, but then, where’s the gold? Nobody, including Jensen has posted photos, video or whatever of the gold. The area I believe may be protected by those hoping to preserve the area. The area is on BLM land as I am sure those who are privy to the location will find if they check after I post the locations or if we can still come to some sort of agreement to go there as a team, would be the best way. I’m worried about going into the canyon by the main normal way.

Please read the book, you can find it online or at the library or whatever, it’s cheap but gives a great view of the true story of the original party of twenty two men of whom twenty were slaughtered by the Apache after wearing out their welcome and going against Chief Nana’s directions and orders. Instead of leaving the following day, these men chose to stay and if need be fight the entire Apache and Yaqui nations for the gold, which like the saying goes about fools and gold fever. I am seriously on the side of believing even Mr. Jensen met with ill fate now after looking even harder over the last month or so since I posted before seeing all the great responses again recently. In the mean time, planning is good, but it would be best to plan on actually going to work during our spare time to recover the gold that may lay much deeper in the canyon, below the floor, where the water flows down into a very prominent faults where there is obvious volcanic activity deeper down where the gold should be and in very large amounts considering it’s a natural gold catch besides natural area where gold would form over time.

The main thing is to keep in mind that the area as far as any burial mounds should be preserved and I want to work with the University to help determine just what ancient history is obviously in the area. I have no doubt personally it was in fact an ancient burial site for Apache Chiefs. There is a good reason, by looking at the canyon from the top of the highest peak where Adams hid after the attack above the pumpkin patch why he named the nugget he kept from the canyon, The Goose Egg nugget. The nugget itself didn’t resemble an egg of any nature, but was about the size.

If everyone is in agreement as to using the gold found into preserving the area for future generations to know and understand. I personally would like to use profits of mine to shoot a movie telling the original story of the Adams party to the writer by the name of Ron Jensen who seems to have vanished there, to the Spanish who obviously found the place, but were also most likely slaughtered and whatever remaining parties were never able to locate again, which there is a very good reason why this happened to Adams, the Spanish and whoever the other survivors were besides Adams and the other man who died shortly after being rescued by the Calvary.

I am sure, that this will be a fascinating expedition for anyone involved and if I am correct, there is more gold deeper down under the canyon floor, however the rest of the surface gold was most likely finally pinched out by Jensen who claimed to find the cache hidden by the Adams party.

I’ll keep checking back again this week to see if anyone is still interested. I feel this would make a great newspaper story or TV news or documentary. Please, if anyone has time, keep trying to find Jensen. I am sure by now after all these years, he was met with ill fate by those maybe he wrote about on his website: lostadams.com

There is plenty of time to plan this I'm sure. I'll be happy to post where hte location is that I'm sure everyone will agree once they see it inreal person. I should be a lot less disabled phsically myself and am looking forward to working the area in early Spring with anyone still interested. and we can all verify each other's information first. Thanks for all the gret replies and interest.

Phil

Mammothman

Feb 1, 2011
Jal, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
ORO:
Not sure if you have come across this information, but I tend to believe it. I think the details Adams gave were all basically true, but they didn't lead to a placer gold site, but instead a cabin that was known to him and others. James A. McKenna even touches on details very similar to what Adams described in his book "Black Range Tales," when he discusses his search for the gold. I think Adams indeed helped in the murder and robbery of either a pack train or group of men carrying gold from California back east. There is even that brief snippet in Dobie's book "Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" where the army man calls Adams a liar and accuses him of murdering some miners.... I think the Digs Legend is proof of people wanting to believe and as much as I love Dobie, he never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/wpa/18090108.html

www.caminorealheritage.org/PH/0904_adams_diggings1.pdf

www.caminorealheritage.org/PH/1004_adams_diggings2.pdf

DCadwell

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2011
I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for his search when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San francisco river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon by horse. The old road (a few ruts are still visible, even though the road was only used one or two years) is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
WELCOME TO TREASURENET DanCad! :hello2: :thumbsup:

DCadwell said:
I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for in adventure when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San franciso river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon By horse. The old road is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad

Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to reading more about your adventures and research. :read2:
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
DCadwell said:
I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for in adventure when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San franciso river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon By horse. The old road is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad

DC, thanks for the informative post. After 35 years myself, I am pretty much on the same page with everything you've said (if, of course, the LAD actually exists, which I'm not totally convinced of).

By the way, out of curiosity, your partner wasn't in the habit of wearing a black snowmobile suit in hot weather was he? If so, I've got a pretty fair idea where your target area is, but getting there will not, as you say, be for the faint of heart.

DCadwell

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2011
The guy we almost lost on our last trip hunting for the LAD was not one of the people that normally searched with us. He walked off from our team, and we searched for him for 7 hours. Late that evening I found him in the bottom of a canyon near the old settlers road. He was in bad shape. We had been searching 17 miles from the nearest road, and it was our 5th day. I'm only good for about 5 days back in that god forsaken country anyway, so we took him out and he was not a part of anything we did from then on. I should have seen that he was the guy in the "black snowmobile suit" before I ever allowed him to go. I'm now doing something different. I'm researching the steamboat robbery on the Colorado River back in 1880. They took silver and gold. It took place about 8 miles north of Laughlin Nevada. The country is much nicer on an ole guy than the Adam's area. This robbery will give me a chance to use my metal detector. Besides, I can search during the day and drink beer and play poker at night.... Good searching! DanCad ;D

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
DCadwell said:
..... Besides, I can search during the day and drink beer and play poker at night.... Good searching! DanCad ;D

I can see that you are a savvy researcher and have chosen your target wisely, DC. Kudos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread