Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Lost Adams Diggings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
    2 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: The Lost Adams Diggings

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    610 times

Quote Originally Posted by celtex
    It seems this is the introduction to a new book that Richard French has written - however, the completed book does not seem to be available anywhere that I've looked. Maybe the book is still in the process of being written.

From what the introduction says, French and his associates have put their full faith in the Charles Allen version of the LAD legend, which apparently was the basis for their search and discovery of the diggings - or so he claims. The Allen version is one of dozens available of the well known tale, but unfortunately it came not from Adams directly, but instead through Captain Shaw. Shaw was Adams' partner and sponser in the years after 1864 and told several different versions of the lost diggings to various people, one of them Allen. At best, the Allen version, with a near-Datil venue, is third-hand. Anyway, there's not much to get excited about at this point.

Be that as it may, French's claims can't be evaluated until his evidence is presented.
    "The gods were smiling when you were born. Now they're laughing."​ Chinese fortune cookie

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011

Another book! When people are willing to have a book published concerning their discovery of the LAD - but at the same time they want to keep their find quite, something just doesn't register right here. There seems to be a lack of research also. It makes interesting reading when I realize someone has done their homework. There's no "well traveled trail". The tracks Gotchear mentioned, is an old 1840 settlers road. It was used in 1840. It was old when Adams made his journey. It was just ruts. It was used just enough to scar the ground in a way similar to the Oregon Trail. The reason most people don't talk about this old road is because they haven't found it; and it's much easier to find some peaks and canyons that resemble the story (or stories). Those features are repeated many times within the landscape of Arizona and New Mexico.

Many years ago when I stumbled on to the old road, the hair on my neck stood on end. For several hours I followed it to a point where the settlers hoisted the wagons up a steep wall to get over a saddle in the mountain. The direction the road took was hard to follow. What helped determine the road's path was the same thing I found when I followed the Oregon Trail. Things were moved or cut down I.E. Looking down the canyon, one area of the road had several ruts and dozens of large boulders rolled to low side of the road... This road follows the Arizona, New Mexico boarder. It kind of weaves back and forth. But it's several miles from the extremely rugged country where I believe the diggings are located. Has the LAD been found? I don't think so, and Reserve is not the southern search boundary. D.C.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsors