I have found the Lost Adams Diggings Sno-Ta-hay Canyon

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
James Cooney is the one buried in Cooney's Tomb, up the creek several miles from Alma. He was killed by Apaches. By the way, one of the ranches at Alma is where Butch and Sundance used to work as cowhands during winters back in the outlaw days.

Mike Cooney was the older brother of James, and the one who froze to death during the winter of 1914/15 at age 76 while chasing a lost mine apparently found by several folks in prior years (Fort West and Fort Bayard soldiers, a surveyor, a guy named Turner, and others - all killed by Apaches up Turkey Creek, north of the Gila River). In 1914, Mike saw some very rich gold ore that some Mexicans brought into the smelter in Soccorro, recognized it as the same as he had been trying to find for years, then set off into the mountains. Unfortunately, he was too old and it was too late in the year and he succumbed. His body was found the next spring a hundred yards where Turner's body was found many years earlier. It was Sycamore Canyon, above Turkey Creek. His journal was found on his body and described his movements Oct 26 to the last entry Nov 15.

sycamore.jpg

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that great Information, really interesting. The Mogollons are is soo beautiful and mysterious , the road from Alma to Mogollon is quite scary.

oldfiredog

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2011
Tom O'Donnel worked with Manning back in the 80's. I lost track of him when he went to Calif. in the 90's, would you happen to know how to contact him?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread