I have found the Lost Adams Diggings Sno-Ta-hay Canyon

OP
OP
F

filemaker01

Jun 2, 2010
I know this thread is getting kind of old. I've been so busy with school, working and getting my place fixed up I haven't had a lot of time for this. Anyway, I can absolutely prove beyond any reasonable doubt, the location of the LAD, you can compare the map Adams drew to the aerial map I have of the place. Then when you check Google Earth you can see for yourselves how well it matches the entire story, besides the fact the pot of gold nuggets was found by Ron Jensen but I and others I've worked with in finding Ron Jenson www.lostadams.com , all claim he's basically vanished. The area is one I would still personally be weary of going into without at least some serious planning in not getting caught by anyone from around the area even though it is BLM land, but then again, since there are various earthworks made over thousands of years and what looks like a burial mound or what's left of a burial mound, and many signs of human habitation there in large numbers over thousands of years, one can see the chambers of the graves were most likely pilfered and eroded over the last hundred years or so. I would be willing to reveal the location since I reported it to the Governor after many months of research and working with BLM in Santa Fe discovered there were over 300 gold claims filed there just after Ron Jensen claimed to have found the pot of gold, then may have vanished soon after, the claims basically expired without reason or cause. It's obvious to me this area has been worked over for many years and is maybe protected by those who may know about the gold but are maybe very aggressive on protecting the location without even having the proper permits or claims. Plus the fact, if this is a highly sensitive archeological area then they wouldn't want universities or archeologists getting involved, but there has to be a lot of evidence of the happenings like the cabin burning down, graves of the minors or supplies that are buried after the attack. Sno-Ta-Hay does mean Chiefs under this place or buried here. Once anyone compares the aerial maps to the one drawn by Adams, there is no disputing whatsover this is the real factual place and there can be no other that looks like this place, you can see the two rivers they crossed, and all the other landmarks besides it fits in every way the route to where the Adams expedition started. I'll check back in a few months to see if anyone's found Jenson, so far, he's still missing. I have no intentions of going there myself, the gold is most likely gone besides the archeological rich area, is just too hot for me to touch, besides there are much better treasures to find anyway that haven't been found yet unlike the Adams diggings. I may come back and give the location again soon or a few months when I'm sure the government is there with the University to check the area out and there is no more disputing it's archeological importance.

Phil

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
celtex said:
a story from a feller that actually found the mine.

http://www.amarillotreasure.com/lostadamsdiggings.htm

ha ha, tried to get on the above link and realized that I needed to become a member of that site, so...I applied and was rebuffed and asked why I wanted to join the forum, when I explained why, rather than allow me to join the forum I was sent a link that still did'nt work.. so, if anyone can access the link could you cut and paste the story for me here? interesting stuff or so it seems.
thanks, Scott

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
chukers said:
SGVALLEYMAN said:
celtex said:
a story from a feller that actually found the mine.

http://www.amarillotreasure.com/lostadamsdiggings.htm

ha ha, tried to get on the above link and realized that I needed to become a member of that site, so...I applied and was rebuffed and asked why I wanted to join the forum, when I explained why, rather than allow me to join the forum I was sent a link that still did'nt work.. so, if anyone can access the link could you cut and paste the story for me here? interesting stuff or so it seems.
thanks, Scott

try this...
http://www.amarillotreasure.com/LAD_Sum._to_AmaTX.pdf
thank you but got the same result...It could be my computer although I never have had any problems before..oh well, thanks anyway..Scott

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not worth posting what I was going to post, If you guys can't decifer the clues from the originater of the post then you'll NEVER be able to figure out the clues to a lost mine or treasure. He's playing you all or at least he THINKS he is.
Sincerely
Bill Adams
AKA Lost Adams
tehe he!

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Lost_Adams said:
It's not worth posting what I was going to post, If you guys can't decifer the clues from the originater of the post then you'll NEVER be able to figure out the clues to a lost mine or treasure. He's playing you all or at least he THINKS he is.
Sincerely
Bill Adams
AKA Lost Adams
tehe he!
:happy1: AWWW Go ahead and post, why not?? it has been a fun, loooooooonnnnnnngggggg thread, I'd welcome some new blood to the mix.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I did not know Mr. Adams drew a map. One of the maps on that site is the Charles Allen map from his pamphlet and the other is from the newspaper series that we reprinted in a book Somewhere Out There (I believe that is the title - that's from memory; I didn't look it up).

The version of the story presented on that site appears to be what I would call the "Dobie Version."

Personally, I'm partial to the Byerts story - although lately I've been re-reading some of the articles in Hunter's Frontier Times in a new light.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Old Bookaroo said:
I did not know Mr. Adams drew a map. ....

To my knowledge, no maps attributed to Adams have appeared in the public record.

Many writers have created maps based upon their own understanding of the version of the legend they favored. There have also been a number of treasure hunters' maps that have surfaced over the years, and I'm sure many more maps drawn over the decades by searchers remain private or have been lost.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
CJ:

That's why I reprinted it a number of years ago. Ed Bartholomew had written me that he didn't think it had actually ever been published!
That's how hard it was to find a copy.

I thought it would help folks if more than a handful of copies were available. This was back in the pre-Internet days, of course.

What I didn't realize is that there are probably 100 (or, perhaps, 1,000) people interested in Arizona stories for every one person who wants to read about New Mexico...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

My thanks for that reprint. My copy looks brand new, and is signed by Frederick F. Hollister. It was very nicely done.

Take care,

Joe

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
CJ:

Thank you for the kind words! I still get a kick out of it when I look at one.

From time to time I see one offered for sale in the $35 range. If it's signed "Frederick" it's a fake - no "k" in my name...Did you purchase yours at the Tulsa show? I think that was in '88. It was, I believe, the last one KvonM attended.

I still plan to reprint the Charles Allen pamphlet. Someday.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Sonoita-Bob

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2007
Southern Arizona
Fred:
I also have one of your 1988 facsimile printings - Thanks. Byerts is interesting, but I don't buy Fort Wingate.
I hope you don't wait too long to do the Allen piece. Been looking forever for a copy.
Regards, Sonoita Bob

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Old Bookaroo said:
CJ:

Thank you for the kind words! I still get a kick out of it when I look at one.

From time to time I see one offered for sale in the $35 range. If it's signed "Frederick" it's a fake - no "k" in my name...Did you purchase yours at the Tulsa show? I think that was in '88. It was, I believe, the last one KvonM attended.

I still plan to reprint the Charles Allen pamphlet. Someday.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

O.B.,

Ooop's :read2:

My mistake.......It's signed by Fred (make that Frederic) Hollister.

Comes from not being able to read the signature very well. :-[ It's actually to the left of the printed name.

Take care,

Joe

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Is it too late to offer up the services of my helicopter?

roflcopter.gif

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
CJ:

They are signed over the printed name because the signature is hard to read. Believe me, if your first name is "Frederic" you are used to seeing it mis-spelt. I can't imagine really taking the time to fake one - not in this lifetime, or the next!

Again - thank you for the kind words about that little book.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
cactusjumper said:
O.B.,

"Personally, I'm partial to the Byerts story..."

I am with you on that one. :coffee2: :coffee2:

Take care,

Joe

The Byerts version (through Shaw) is third hand at best. Fun read, and gospel to many, but...

I'm intrigued by the Col. Fleming version myself, a personal Silver City family archive based on the Colonel's impromtu interview with Adams in Southern California in the 1880's. As with all information from Adams, however, I wouldn't hang my hat on anything he (Adams) said. As I've always maintained, I believe the LAD legend is most likely based on some actual event(s), but those events may be way different than what we believe them to be. If nothing else, Adams had the reputation of being an unreliable witness. Couple that with the multitude of re-tellings through a string of would-be followers, with the inevitable errors associated down the line, and you end up with the confusion that hallmarks the LAD. It's a crapshoot.

That said, if there's really a lost Adams placer placer out there, I'll bet on a southern location, not a northern (Byerts) one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread