Lieut. Col. William Emorys "Notes" and The Lost Adams Diggings

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Lieut. Col. William Emory's "Notes" and The Lost Adams Diggings

Many bibliographies of The Lost Adams Diggings include Lieut. Col. W.H. Emory's Notes of a Military Reconnaissance from Fort Leavenworth, Missouri, to San Diego, California... Thirtieth Congress - First Session, Ex. Doc. No. 41 (Washington, DC: 1848).

One reason, of course, is that many lost mine authors are content to copy the work of previous scribes, rather than complete actual research.

My question: What does this report have to do with the Lost Adams Diggings?

From page 66:

"As the story goes, the Prierte river flows down from the mountains, freighted with gold. Its sands are said to be full of the precious metal. A few adventurers, who ascended the river hunting beaver, washed the sands at night when they halted, and were richly rewarded. Tempted by their success, they made a second trip, and were attacked, and most of them killed by the Indians. My authority for this statement is Londreau, who, though an illiterate man, is truthful."

http://books.google.com/books?id=gg...&resnum=3&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here's a link to the famous map included in this report. Follow Lieut. Col. emory's route and locate October 26th.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...0~180024:-Military-Reconnaissance-Of-The-Ark#

As is often the case, it appears the source for this is John D. Mitchell. In Lost Mines of the Great Southwest; Including Stories of Hidden Treasures (Phoenix, Arizona: 1933), he quotes Lieut. Col. Emory's report. The same information may be found in Mitchell's Desert Magazine article "Lost Adams Diggings" (July, 1941). Eugene L. Conrotto told it again in Lost Desert Bonanzas (Palm Desert, California: 1963).

It should be noted Mr. Mitchell named the river the "Prieto" and the teller of the tale "Landreau."

How is this account connected to The Lost Adams Diggings? Lieut. Col. Emory's account is from October 1848 - as Mr. Conrotto correctly pointed out, well before the generally agreed upon time of Adams' visiting and then losing his Diggings.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: In his book, Mr. Mitchelll quotes a letter from Robert T, Emmet, 2nd Lt. of the Ninth Cav., USA. It was dated March 5, 1882. It would be quite interesting to read that entire letter - but that's another story...

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Re: Lieut. Col. William Emory's "Notes" and The Lost Adams Diggings

Old Bookaroo said:
Many bibliographies of The Lost Adams Diggings include Lieut. Col. W.H. Emory's Notes of a Military Reconnaissance from Fort Leavenworth, Missouri, to San Diego, California... Thirtieth Congress - First Session, Ex. Doc. No. 41 (Washington, DC: 1848).

One reason, of course, is that many lost mine authors are content to copy the work of previous scribes, rather than complete actual research.

My question: What does this report have to do with the Lost Adams Diggings?

From page 66:

"As the story goes, the Prierte river flows down from the mountains, freighted with gold. Its sands are said to be full of the precious metal. A few adventurers, who ascended the river hunting beaver, washed the sands at night when they halted, and were richly rewarded. Tempted by their success, they made a second trip, and were attacked, and most of them killed by the Indians. My authority for this statement is Londreau, who, though an illiterate man, is truthful."

http://books.google.com/books?id=gg...&resnum=3&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here's a link to the famous map included in this report. Follow Lieut. Col. emory's route and locate October 26th.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...0~180024:-Military-Reconnaissance-Of-The-Ark#

As is often the case, it appears the source for this is John D. Mitchell. In Lost Mines of the Great Southwest; Including Stories of Hidden Treasures (Phoenix, Arizona: 1933), he quotes Lieut. Col. Emory's report. The same information may be found in Mitchell's Desert Magazine article "Lost Adams Diggings" (July, 1941). Eugene L. Conrotto told it again in Lost Desert Bonanzas (Palm Desert, California: 1963).

It should be noted Mr. Mitchell named the river the "Prieto" and the teller of the tale "Landreau."

How is this account connected to The Lost Adams Diggings? Lieut. Col. Emory's account is from October 1848 - as Mr. Conrotto correctly pointed out, well before the generally agreed upon time of Adams' visiting and then losing his Diggings.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: In his book, Mr. Mitchelll quotes a letter from Robert T, Emmet, 2nd Lt. of the Ninth Cav., USA. It was dated March 5, 1882. It would be quite interesting to read that entire letter - but that's another story...

Good post, Bookey. The Emory Report is a gem, and the map is excellent, although a number of the placenames have changed since its publication - always a tricky situation for researchers. I guess this is the source for the story of the "early LAD" (1840's). Of couse, all the watercourses of the Southwest were explored ca 1820-1840's by the beaver trappers operating out of Taos, and it's certainly possible one of them found gold in the Rio Prieto. If so, maybe his name was Adams, - hence a possible explanation for the confusion with the well-known later Adams of 1864.

The Rio Prieto later became known as the Rio San Francisco, its current name, and may have been the route (or close to it) of the Coronado expedition that found Zuni in 1540. In addition, I have an interesting military report from the Apache days that mentions a detachment of soldiers finding old placer workings up the Rio San Francisco (the report is buried in my old files - I'll try to ferret it out next week and provide more details). Anyway, it seems like the Rio San Francisco has a good share of gold-seeker legends associated with it. IMO, if the LAD actually exists, this watershed may be where the diggings are located. It's rough, rough terrain.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Springfield:

Thank you for the kind words!

Mitchell follows "Prieto" with "(Black)" (I should have included that and I didn't) - an example of your point that often the names change.

Certainly some of the beaver men kept a weather eye out for gold. Thomas L. Smith comes to mind as one example.

I, for one, would be quite interested in the report you mention. While I know what it's like to have information "filed away" in The One Big File - I do hope you locate and share it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Sonoita-Bob

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2007
Southern Arizona

Greetings Gentelmen:
The report in question is the Col. Brown military report of Oct 1 - Nov 27, 1864 found in The War of the Rebellion Series 1 Vol XLI (part 1 reports) pages 867 thru 878 incl.. A very detailed directional report.
Ron Jensen used this report as the basis of his LAD hunts.
Regards,
Sonoita Bob

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Sonoita-Bob:

Thanks for the lead to Col. Brown's report. Here's a link to it:

http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/sources/recordView.cfm?page=867&dir=083

Would you post where you read about this in Mr. Jensen's work? I'd like to give credit where it is due.

I remain quite interested in the letter referenced by Mr. Mitchell. That would, I think, be considerably more difficult to run down.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Sonoita-Bob

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2007
Southern Arizona

Old Book:

The LAD research group that compared notes on the OLD T-Net forum, which included Springfield and myself amoung others, were investigating old military correspondence and reports including those in the War of the Rebellion series as the war years could possibily be related to the Adams time frame. According to my records, we found Col. Brown's reconnaissance report in April 2004. At the time we considered that location to be one of the many LAD possibilities.

Later, the Jensen website appeared reporting his search for the LAD and mentioning his finding a military report describing the same area their group was interested in. When he quoted some of the daily entries, I knew he was talking about the same military report. Jensen was sure he had found the LAD. My best wishes to him, but I have my doubts. Strange, to my knowledge, there appears to be no further news from him.

If you were to ask me, I would be looking for the Adams in the eastern part of the San Carlos Res or across the Black in the Apache Res.

Sincerely, Sonoita Bob

Sonoita-Bob

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2007
Southern Arizona

Old Book:

I'm having a little trouble with the Lt.Robert Emmet letter referenced in John D. Mitchell's book LM of the GSW.

According to my Brandes, Camp Apache (Camp Ord) was not established until Spring of 1870 when Maj. John Green undertook the building of the first leg of a road from Fort Goodwin on the Gila. He named it Camp Ord, later in 1871 the name was changed to Camp Apache. So, if the Lt. Emmet letter dated 1882 claims almost 20 years ago Adams stopped at Camp Apache for supplies, 1862 or thereabouts....which Camp Apache could that be?

Good old John D got tripped up again! He was known around Arizona for his stories? or actually other peoples stories with his spin.

Regards, Sonoita Bob

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Sonoita-Bob: Thank you for that information! John Mitchell is a most interesting case. He was a lost mine hunter who actually spent time in the field - and one can not truthfully say that about many writers. His book was published by Milton Rose - who must have believed the stories to have worked (and paid) to get them into print.

On the other hand, of course, Mr. Mitchell did't provide a large number of sources. And some of his yarns have proved out better than others.

For the benefit of readers who don't have ready access to his book, here's the quote from the letter. The book is out of copyright, so I have no problem reproducing that information here.

“Nearly twenty years ago a man named Adams with seven others came from California into Arizona prospecting. They stopped at Camp Apache for rations and continued east. A few days march from Apache they found a great deal of gold in a small canyon. One of the men, a German, after working about ten days, became alarmed about the Indians and left, carrying about ten or twelve thousand dollars in gold as a result of his labor. This is shown by the books of the Post Trade at Fort Yuma who bought the gold from him.

“The remainder of the party built a cabin and continued work till rations were low, when all but two, Adams and another man, started back to Camp Apache for supplies. The gold they had already mined was buried under the floor of the cabin.

“Adams and his companion waited till they thought the others should have returned when becoming quite alarmed at their long absence, they started in search of them.

“Looking back from the mountains on which they were climbing they saw the cabin in flames and their comrades, who had come in from another direction being massacred by the Indians. They concealed themselves till after dark and escaped.”

The "Camp Apache" could well have been a temporary outpost, not a fort. I'm guessing there were quite a few camps named Apache over the years - it's an obvious name.

¿QUIÉN SABE?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Sonoita-Bob said:
Greetings Gentelmen:
The report in question is the Col. Brown military report of Oct 1 - Nov 27, 1864 found in The War of the Rebellion Series 1 Vol XLI (part 1 reports) pages 867 thru 878 incl.. A very detailed directional report.
Ron Jensen used this report as the basis of his LAD hunts.
Regards,
Sonoita Bob

Bob - thanks for posting the info on the military report. One of my projects this year is to reorganize all my scattered LAD info. And thanks for providing me with the report in the first place.

Off-topic, Bob: do you know anything about Wildcat Silver's mine somewhere in the Patagonia, AZ area? Great drill results. I was thinking about picking up a few shares when (if) the price of silver corrects (hopefully down to about $30).

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Old Bookaroo said:
.... “Nearly twenty years ago a man named Adams with seven others came from California into Arizona prospecting. They stopped at Camp Apache for rations and continued east. A few days march from Apache they found a great deal of gold in a small canyon. One of the men, a German, after working about ten days, became alarmed about the Indians and left, carrying about ten or twelve thousand dollars in gold as a result of his labor. This is shown by the books of the Post Trade at Fort Yuma who bought the gold from him....."

A theory pioneered by Jack Purcell identifies Jacob Snively as a likely candidate for the role of 'the Dutchman' of the LAD legends. Snively allegedly rode into Pinos Altos in 1864 with $10,000 worth of placer gold, and later sold it in Yuma ... or so the story goes. However, I haven't seen any solid documentation explaining the source of this story. Snively also supposedly claimed the placer came from a place 125 miles 'north of Pinos Altos', but again, this statement would be hard to hang your hat on.

I wish there was more written about Snively- his life was remarkable, what little we know about him.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Tag post :read2: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Springfield:

I'm glad you mentioned Jack Purcell. His book The Lost Adams Diggings; Myth, Mystery and Madness (2003) is essential. There hasn't been another author I'm aware of to combine his research efforts with his on-the-ground experience.

If you are interested in Jacob Snively, there is a post on page 2 here (dated Jay 19, 2008) that provides some interesting leads.

Wouldn't it be great if some of the "treasure" writers worked on new stories - such as his - rather than simply re-hash the old yarns?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Ol' Bookaroo wrote
If you are interested in Jacob Snively, there is a post on page 2 here (dated Jay 19, 2008) that provides some interesting leads.

Wouldn't it be great if some of the "treasure" writers worked on new stories - such as his - rather than simply re-hash the old yarns?

The treasure magazines are always looking for new talent amigo, hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge :read2: :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Oroblanco:

Thank you for the nudge. I've been down that trail. My first "treasure magazine" article was written when I was still in high school. I had forty-some articles published in Western Treasures. True Treasure, Treasure World, Lost Treasure, Ray Smith's old magazine that came out back in the day, Johnnie Pounds ran one of mine, etc., etc.

I published the first true story of the Yankee Blade. I wrote the first story that proved the US Army payroll aboard the Brother Jonathan was just a fraction of the fabled amount - and in paper money, to boot.

Didn't mean to start bragging. I'm much more interested in books these days. The magazines don't pay much (not that they ever did) - if they pay at all.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Old Bookaroo wrote
The magazines don't pay much (not that they ever did) - if they pay at all.

:o :o :o :o Say it isn't so! Why I have been informed by several well-informed individuals right here on T-net, that it is in the sales of those stories and books that is where all the money lies for treasure hunting. :laughing9: :laughing7: :icon_thumright: I am aware of the pay scale, if any, which some folks really do not know the truth on. Just thought your suggestion might be worthy of getting it into print for all of us.
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Oroblanco:

Personally, the biggest problem with those "treasure" magazines was the lack of time spent fact-checking the articles. And the fact the editors didn't require the authors to provide reference sources (although, when they do, many writers are disappointing in the quality of the sources).

We were in Fort Collins a few months ago. I was poking around on the Internets looking for background and there was a mention of a treasure writer who gave up because readers kept pestering him for more information about the yarns he'd just made up!

I've been reading many of the old Desert Magazine articles, working on my Lost Mines of the Desert series. I like many of those articles because the writers actually visited the sites! That's another issue with many treasure magazine articles.

As to Jacob Snively, I don't know enough about the topic to write a good article. I think someone would have to spend a few weeks in Arizona to do that one right. Jack Purcell knows more than anyone I'm aware of - it he was willing to put it together it would be a first-rate piece of work. Living here in Northern California there are a number of excellent archives and other sources. Also, when I was writing, the government agencies had the time and manpower to respond to inquiries.

Of course, the Internet has made research much easier. In some respects, that's a good thing.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Old Bookaroo said:
..... As to Jacob Snively, I don't know enough about the topic to write a good article. I think someone would have to spend a few weeks in Arizona to do that one right. Jack Purcell knows more than anyone I'm aware of - it he was willing to put it together it would be a first-rate piece of work.....

Snively's name appears in many publications here and there, but only spuriously - even in Josiah Gregg's classic, Commerce of the Prairies. Below is the most comprehensive info on Snively I've been able to find in one place. It's an old TNet posting from 'Curly':

Here is some interesting history...
October 24, 1999 at 12:16:13
In Reply to: Re: Back to the Lost Adams again
posted by audigger53 on October 23, 1999 at 11:36:27

(Im sending out some interesting research for you guys to read. I normally dont do this, but I felt it was some info alot of researchers on here have not considered or heard about. If its too much bologni, you dont have to believe it. But is real historical data on the life of Jacob Snively and his lost gold mine or the 1860's....and interesting as regards the current debates about the Adam's Diggings on Treasurenet.)

_____ ,

The information you describe is EXACTLY what my research tells me. I am thoroughly convinced that the German and Snively are in fact the same men (if there ever was a German, of course). I have the history. Snively apparentley was a seasoned pioneer and prospector, and knew what he was talking about when he arrived at Pinos Altos, New Mexico in the early 1860's with $10k in nuggets, and caused a big stir there. Judge Houston and Jason Baxter both describe his excitement about the mine at that time. His descriptions of the mine match exactly with the Adam's Tale in every feature, from the mountains he saw, the richness of the placer gold, the sluice he had, and other elements. Plus, the time-line fits with that of the story, as well. Its very likely Snively was indeed the GERMAN of the Adams Tale, and Im convinced of it at this point. In fact, he was in the Gila region as part-time prospector at about that time. Below is a broken summary of his history, and some stuff I have recently found. I am convinced this is a break through discovery in solving the Adam's Diggings. BUT, its what happened to Snively after 1865 that is really weird, and is quite fascinating, as is written down in history (here is what I have so far):

SNIVELY, JACOB (ca. 1809-1871). Jacob (Old Jake) Snively, Republic of Texas military officer, was born in Greencastle, Pennsylvania and moved at an early age to Hamilton County, Ohio. After training as a surveyor and civil engineer he moved to Texas by April 1835 as a surveyor for the Republic of Mexico. He made his home in Nacogdoches and located and surveyed many land grants for the firm of William G. Logan and Henry Raguet. In July 1835 he was granted land in David G. Burnet's colony. He served in the Texas Revolution as first lieutenant and acting commander of Capt. Henry Teal's Company A of Lt. Col. Henry W. Millard's First Infantry regiment. Snively was commissioned on March 26, 1836, and remained with Company A through the end of August, when he was promoted to captain and assigned to command of Company B of the First Infantry, then commanded by Amasa Turner. On January 24, 1837, Sam Houston appointed him an ambassador to the Shawnee Indians and instructed him to interview Chief Linney about the tribe's intentions during the ongoing struggle between the Republic of Texas and Mexico. On May 13, 1837, he was appointed paymaster general of the Army of the Republic of Texas with the rank of colonel, and during June and July of 1837 was acting secretary of war. Snively resigned from the army in September 1837, but in 1839 he once again served as paymaster general under Albert Sidney Johnstonqv and in 1843 was quartermaster of the army and assistant inspector general of the republic.

In January of that year Snively petitioned the Texas Department of War and Marine for permission to intercept a party of Mexican traders who would reportedly be crossing Texas territory by way of the Santa Fe Trail and to appropriate their goods in retaliation for the Mexican raids on San Antonio in 1842 and for the alleged mistreatment of Texas prisoners captured at the battle of Mier (see MIER EXPEDITION) and on the Texan Santa Fe expedition. Snively was instructed not to violate the sovereignty of the United States and given authorization on February 16, 1843, to raise and command a partisan command for the purpose. During the campaign morale began to crack, and some of the men began to grumble against Snively, calling him "a coward" and "an incompetent." Snively resigned in disgust, and Charles A. Warfield was selected as his replacement, but when he proved incompetent Snively was reinstated in command on July 15 to lead the volunteers home. By August 3 he and his men were back in Nacogdoches.

When gold was discovered in California in 1848, Snively, then living in Corpus Christi, turned his interests over to his brother David and crossed northern Mexico in 1849, to sail from Mazatlán to the gold fields of California. He searched for gold there until 1858, when he moved to Arizona Territory, where he discovered the "Placers of the Gila" on the Gila River some twenty-four miles east of Yuma. He was in this area again when Adam's showed up and was led to the riich Apache gold placer. Snively was also involved in the discovery of the Castle Dome silver mines in Yuma County and took a leading role in organizing the district in conjunction with Hermann V. Ehrenberg. After the first territorial election in Arizona, Governor John Noble Goodwin appointed Snively judge of Precinct Two of Council District Two. In the second half of the 1860s Snively prospected in New Mexico and Nevada, where he alternately found and lost small fortunes.

In the 1860's he arrived in Pinos Altos with ten thousand in gold nuggets describing the richest mine he had ever seen. Locals like Judge Houston and Jason Baxter were present at the time. By the fall of 1865, Snively headed back east, and was in Georgetown, Texas recruiting a small band of men to find this mine. Present among the men were noteworthy's of past wars in the Republic of Texas, including Col. William Cornelius Dalrymple(fifty three year old ex-ranger, soldier, Indian fighter, and member of the Constitutional Convention of 1966, Brigadier General Walter P. Lane, veteran of the Battles of San Jacinto, Monterrey, and Buena Vista, and Moses Carson, older brother of the famous Indian fighetr, Kit Carson, among many other famous Indian fighters of the period (Malcom Hunter, John Cohen, W. A. Robinson, and A. Whitehurst---all famous Texans!). At that time, Snively was said to have located the mine, by his own admission, in the "Sierra Nevadas" in Texas east of the Rio Grande. (By the way, there is no Sierra Nevada Mts AT ALL in Texas!) He gave several clues, including a fort, a military route near the placer, remains of goat-herders, the woman-head rock and other elements matching the Adam's Tale. One version says that Snively got the info from a dying soldier, who told of the mines and the massacre by Apaches, and described the mine in the 1860's as "the richest mine on the continent". Something remarkable must have been found, or Snively would not have been able to convince such noteworthy men of his day. Snively's band of men numbered less than twenty in 1866 when they set out on the long journey for the mine. Such an expedition certainly was in the spirit of the Adam's group. They traveled over hostile Comanche country along the old military trail leading to El Paso, and were soon besieged by a Kiowa/Comanche band while leaving the Conco River (approximately 50 miles from San Angelo, Tx in central Texas). Snively's beloved horse Charley died in the fight, and several men were injured. The attempt at finding the mine was then abondoned, but Snively was determined to resume the following year. In the Spring of 1866, he recruited close to 100 men and explorers from around Texas, including men from the earlier expedition. Each man was guaranteed a percentage of the gold, and so set out to find the rich placer. After many adventures(details of which i have historical documentation on), they arrieved at a place in west Texas called Eagle Springs. Its an old Indian springs which runs along the old Overland Trail to El Paso. Snively located the nearby mountains as the place....but somethings were not right. The men scoured the area for days, and eventually mutiny set in. Within months, Snivelys band was disbanded. SOme went back to Texas, recording their adventures in history books. Others went west to Arizona and other mining adventures. But Snively was lost and never found his mine. (How close was Snively to the gold mine? Was he even close? And why was he so sure the mine was in Texas? Why was a man, surely associateed with the Adam's Diggings looking in Texas with 100 gold-hungry and famous explorers of the west, and not in the traditional historical areas associated with the Adam's Diggings of New Mexico? This is the point at which I am currently stuck in my research.....) Jacob Snively went on west into New Mexico and added many moe adventures to his interesting life. Snively was exploring a route from the site of present-day Phoenix, near which he was then living, when his group was attacked by an estimated 150 Apache Indians at the White Picacho, a noted landmark near Wickenburg, Arizona, on March 27, 1871. Snively was mortally wounded and abandoned by his companions. His body, badly decomposed and partially devoured by wild animals, was buried near the sandy arroyo where it fell. His remains were exhumed eight years later and reinterred near the mining settlement of Gillett, Arizona. Gillett has since become a ghost town, and Snively's grave is said to be unmarked. Snively Holes, a watering place east of Bill Williams Mountains, Arizona, is named for him. Snively had a twin brother who moved to Nacogdoches in 1841, causing the locals a good deal of confusion and merriment. (So, were there two men, and which one found the mine....hmmmmm....another paradox!)

Any additional info from anotherc researcher would really help... Thanks, Curly

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

After reading Col. Brown's report, I wondered if there was a map prepared as part of it. I looked in the Atlas section of the Records, and to my surprise found the Map of the Military Department of New Mexico, Drawn...by Capt. Allen Anderson...1864.

I was acquainted with this famous work from Jack Purcell's book. I had not realized it was from The War of the Rebellion.

For the benefit of those who don't have ready access to this wonderful work of cartographic art, here is the portion showing the country related in Col. Brown's report.

Military Map 1864 1.jpg

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Old Bookaroo said:
After reading Col. Brown's report, I wondered if there was a map prepared as part of it. I looked in the Atlas section of the Records, and to my surprise found the Map of the Military Department of New Mexico, Drawn...by Capt. Allen Anderson...1864. ....

It's a great resource. It's interesting that place names and locations change over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread