New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Hi Oro, you posted-->I do think that the zigzag canyon may well be one site that is known but since it is outside the reservation will not be revealed.

Of course not, it is in Chihauhua. snicker Just where the Apaches found and left it with a mispronounced or explained name..

Since no one has found it where it is supposed to be, then it must be where it is not supposed to be. Brilliant no ??? snicker.

As for a stone indicating a road, just how far away from it's destination could that be? Also on which side of the stone is it engraved? Remember I have one in northern Sinaloa that says "Camimo al Fuego de Barras", a reputed lost mine of Pb with Extremely high Ag. found while I was searching for the Gloria Pan mine, also known as "La Mina de peligro" due to it's access trail.

This lies beyond the western side of the old graveyard of Tubares, the base for the formerly lost, but actually now known location of the 'Gloria Pan' mine..

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. If Bob Shoose claims this to be true, may I ask how he knows this? (sorth) south / north ??

As to the distances away from a marker sign, it could be any distance but is it likely to have a marker put up, a long distance from a site? Or is it not more common to put up such a sign at the closest crossroads, and only for large cities to put up signs that are a great distance away.

My mistake on the spelling of Bob Schoose's name, and it was a little joke; I think he meant to say "north" but it came out "sorth" which I have now adopted for my own. It works quite well too - as in I am fairly certain that ye olde Lost Adams cannot be in Chihuahua, that is simply too far sorth!

Springfield wrote
Another Zigzag Canyon with lots of zigzag but no gold

Actually if memory serves, there was a little gold, just not enough to make it worth the cost to mine it. Point is valid however - there are so many zigzag canyons that makes the clue pretty much worthless.

Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco said:
Quote: Another Zigzag Canyon with lots of zigzag but no gold
Actually if memory serves, there was a little gold, just not enough to make it worth the cost to mine it. Point is valid however - there are so many zigzag canyons that makes the clue pretty much worthless.

Oroblanco

That's right. I can get you a little gold from my driveway, but that doesn't make it either minable or the LAD. Remember, Snively (the 'Dutchman') singlehandedly panned about 500 ounces in a couple weeks before he got Indian fear and left the site.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning ORO: You posted -->I am fairly certain that ye olde Lost Adams cannot be in Chihuahua, that is simply too far sorth!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree with you 100%, however can you reasonably prove it ? What I am attempting to do is to get the group into thinking independently from any authors, since they apparently didn't find it either.

Go back to the basic data, or what is believed to be the basic. Make you own path using any newer data to only fill yours out. Remember to be ready with that delete, or secondary file button, on anything that patently does not fit.

Be ruthless, if it doesn't fit physically or logically, move it to standby..

FIND IT !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
.... Go back to the basic data, or what is believed to be the basic.....

Unfortunately, there isn't any 'basic data', only about two or three dozen versions of the story, almost all of them third hand at best, and nearly all conflicting in details large and small. We do know the German, Snively (one of the most accomplished men of his era, whom we know few details about), rode into Pinos Altos at the right time with an eye-popping stash of placer, which he sold later in Yuma. Where do you want to start?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Don Jose wrote
G'morning ORO: You posted -->I am fairly certain that ye olde Lost Adams cannot be in Chihuahua, that is simply too far sorth!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree with you 100%, however can you reasonably prove it ?

Yes, there must have been an historic presence of a particular branch of the Navajos residing in the immediate area of the Adams, which was later usurped by Apaches - and this conquest by Apaches must have taken place prior to Adams arrival there. As far as I am aware, there are no records of any Navajo bands residing well south in Chihuahua. However, point is well taken, and outside the box thinking is certainly called for.

Springfield - ain't it the truth! I found that there is gold literally in our back yard here, a sand layer about two feet under the gumbo, which has streaks of black sands and yes placer gold. There is no record of any gold being reported found in Edgemont area, ever, and the amount is so small that the gold price would have to be in the $100,000 per ounce to make it worth the cost to mine it, but gold can be found in non-economic amounts over many areas. Were the Adams just a lode gold deposit, then it would be worth tracing back tiny traces of gold - but I am not convinced that it was lode at all.
Oroblanco

Got to go, will pop in later. Coffee?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Coffee ?? Oro, you have an insidiously depressing, but at the same time an elevating sense of humor 'OF COURSE I WANT COFFE !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

Well thanks, I think? I will hand-wring the sock personally as I know you like your coffee STRONG! Besides it will save me having to wash my hands, you know we must always conserve water. :coffee2: :tongue3:

Side question (for anyone who cares to answer) but what is the furthest south that any branch of the Navajos have been known to have lived, historically speaking? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Oroblanco said:
Coffee ?? Oro, you have an insidiously depressing, but at the same time an elevating sense of humor 'OF COURSE I WANT COFFE !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

Well thanks, I think? I will hand-wring the sock personally as I know you like your coffee STRONG! Besides it will save me having to wash my hands, you know we must always conserve water. :coffee2: :tongue3:

Side question (for anyone who cares to answer) but what is the furthest south that any branch of the Navajos have been known to have lived, historically speaking? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

Roy,

The Navajo lived, primarily in northern Arizona and New Mexico. There was some presence in southern Utah and Colorado, and they are still there today.

The did conduct raids into Mexico.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Thanks Joe - I had not heard of any Navajo raids into Mexico before. About the furthest south that I have heard of them was in the Dragoons or Tucson.
Roy

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
A H H A !!!!!

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ah-ha! Now lets see some documentation of that Navajo raid into Mexico! ;D <Don't worry amigos I am a very patient person>
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee compadre? I wrung out the sock my self, just to be sure it is good and strong, like you! :tongue3:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco said:
.... Ah-ha! Now lets see some documentation of that Navajo raid into Mexico! ;D <Don't worry amigos I am a very patient person>
Oroblanco

I would be shocked to see this. I can't imagine why the Navajo would decide to pass all the way through Apacheria for a chance at stealing a few horses in Mexico. Based on the history between the two groups, and the usual outcome when they clashed, wouldn't this be a death wish?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gentlemen,

A few things to consider about Navajo raiding:

The Navajo are considered to be the seventh tribe of the Apache. That being said, they often raided the Apache.

The boundries of Mexico were not always as they are now.

Look into their history from those perspectives.

Take care,

Joe

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
cactusjumper said:
Gentlemen,

A few things to consider about Navajo raiding:

The Navajo are considered to be the seventh tribe of the Apache. That being said, they often raided the Apache.

The boundries of Mexico were not always as they are now.

Look into their history from those perspectives.

Take care,

Joe

Good point. If you consider where the Mexican 'border' was in the pre-1840's era, then Navajo raiding 'into Mexico' makes sense. In the context of the LAD legends, maybe not, since the Adams incident allegedly occured in the mid-1860's when the border was hundreds of miles further south.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well if memory serves, Navajos participated in a rather large fight right at Tucson with the Spanish and their Pima allies in the 1770's, which was technically in Mexico. They were helping Apaches in that particular fight. So are we talking Navajo raids down into what is today Chihuahua? Ay chihuahua! :tongue3:

Oroblanco

PS - Don Jose, the fresh coffee is almost done dripping out of the sock - ready for a refill? :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro you have to ask??? It is 50% of the basis of my "O" neg blood. sigh. why it perks up the recipient of it, why many are now out producimg new kiddies a 150.

Don jose de La Mancha

p.s. you can leave the sock in the cup, let it drain the last of the pure goodies.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

As I recall, you are correct. I believe the Navajo, along with some Apache allies, were doing a little horse shopping.

In that era, both sides were raiding for "slaves". At times, they fought as a response to the slave raids.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
cactusjumper said:
Roy,

As I recall, you are correct. I believe the Navajo, along with some Apache allies, were doing a little horse shopping.

In that era, both sides were raiding for "slaves". At times, they fought as a response to the slave raids.

Take care,

Joe

Hi Joe - what surprised me about that particular battle was the Navajos being allied with the Apaches, considering how hostile their history was. I think at least one source of the battle is online too, if anyone would like to read it I will hunt it up.

My big problem with locating the Adams diggings so far south (in Chihuahua) is the Navajo link, which seems to suggest that Navajos or some sub-tribe of them had lived in the canyon or close to it at some point in the not so distant past. Another issue could well be the fort and road leading to it, which has been a major point of contention among Adams hunters. If there was a Navajo presence in Chihuahua, later driven out by Apaches, what American fort could have been so near by? Thank you in advance.

Roy

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread