El Defensor Cheiftain Article, Part 2

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Mr. Bookaroo, that is a good article. I don't think he found the lost Adams, tho. I don't see any way they could've built a cabin in that canyon.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Dollar General, and saw a video on the $8 rack called "Most Wanted Westerns." It was a 4 pack of old westerns #1 being "McKenna's Gold." Never saw that one before. Needless to say, now I'm hooked on the lost Adams, lol.

I've been reading up on the subject for a couple of weeks now and I have one big nagging question. The Apaches knew where the canyon was, why didn't they clean it out? I think it was the 1960's when the White Mountain tribe built Sunrise ski area. Maybe with lost Adams gold?

I am sure the lost Adams is (or was) a natural gold deposit and not a stolen wagon-load of California nuggets "heading for the smelters in Denver." Why would anyone take the chance of hauling a wagon-load of gold nuggets 2000 miles through hostile territory to sell to the Denver mint when the San Francisco mint was paying the same price? Just doesn't make sense. Besides, the original "shine" of the California surface gold was pretty much gone by the fall of '51. Those were the days of guys "hauling out wagon-loads of gold nuggets." The 1860's was the time of the big corporate mines working the old tertiary channel gravels. Placer deposits worked like hard rock mines. Stamp mills. Flat nuggets. Miners paid wages, not raw gold. So where did the California nuggets come from in 1863?

Oh, and did I mention that I've found it? You go to Canyon de Chelly and look for spider rock. Next day at dawn, just watch the shadow :)

Lucky Baldwin

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So where did the California nuggets come from in 1863?

North Bloomfield

I'm wrong. The wagon-load of nuggets is still on the table. Been thinking about it and there was one spot in California that might have produced a wagon-load of acorn sized nuggets in the 1860's. North Bloomfield. That was a large hydraulic mine working the tertiary Yuba channel. It was a large corporate mine so the nuggets would have had to been highgraded. Probably a syndicate of highgraders to get that kind of quantity. But stolen nuggets would answer the question 'why Denver?"

This one isn't as easy to narrow down as I thought...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Henry Wilson Allen (1912-1991) wrote the entertaining novel MacKenna's Gold. He took the title from James "Uncle Jimmy" McKenna, the author of the classic Black Range Tales (1936).

000aaa.jpg

It's also a very entertaining movie! Edward G. Robinson is a fascinating "Adams." It's Raymond Massey's last film And Julie Newmar is easy on the eyes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread