UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my reading of the LAD, the two peaks that were supposedly visible from Mt. Ord are curious. 2 peaks are mentioned again when they were much closer to the LAD site. Then we see mention of 2 peaks that look like "haystacks".

French's book covers them and claims they are Bell and D-Cross Mountains. But aren't those much too low and far away to be seen from Mt. Ord? As well, those two peaks are lined up east-west. So they wouldn't be seen as distinct peaks from the east or west, only from the north or south, and then only if the ridge on one of them is hidden by shadow or the other mountain.

Are there 2 sets of 2 peaks perhaps, one that can be seen from Mt. Ord, AND the others closer to the LAD site? And the orientation of the peaks is material in locating the LAD location, since they need to be seen as 2 peaks, not one. They could not be lined up east-west, or they wouldn't be seen as 2 peaks from a distance from the west, where the LAD party started out.

Thoughts, comments, or insults?

lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I measured it on Google Earth, and Bell/D-Cross Mountains are exactly 115 miles from Mount Ord. Yet French said he was only able to see Veteado Peaks from Mount Ord, which is around 89 miles from Mount Ord. Are the 2 peaks visible from Mount Ord supposed to be the same as the 2 peaks that were described as "haystacks" in the evening sun? I seriously doubt Bell/D-Cross Mountains are the 2 peaks that could be seen from AZ.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I may have gotten some details of the story confused here, I will repost and correct as needed.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out I did get it wrong. French commented on page 176 of his book that he thought Veteado Peak was what the LAD party saw from Mount Baldy (Not Mount Ord), but that it was unlikely to be the same 2 peaks described by Adam's as looking like "Haystacks". So maybe French was right after all. I have to re-read more to further get this straight.

A thought also occurs to me about part of the descriptions about canyon walls that towered hundreds of feet in the air. I wonder if one could do an analysis of canyons to see which are known to have such a feature. Such towering "perpendicular" rock walls would rule out most canyons.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a copy of Jack Purcell's TLAD:myth, Mystery, and Madness. On page 8 it mentions a map on the "next page" that showed the location of the Patterson Ranch and "the focus of the historic search area". But there is no such map in the book, or at least the copy I have. I was wondering if I could trouble fellow owners of this book to check and see if this is true of their copies as well. If you have the map, I would love to get a copy of it. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I created Google Earth map with colored areas representing all known distances from known landmarks. I am not ready to post it yet, but it really helps one visualize exactly where the LAD area must be limited to if the stories told about it have any kind of accuracy at all. I got this idea from Purcell's book, where he did so with only three distances from known landmarks to define a search area. I used 4 days out of Fort Wingate (80 miles), 5 days walk from Rio Grande at La Hoya (100 miles), 5 days from Mount Ord (130 miles), 2 days from Ojo Caliente (70 miles), and 125 miles north of Pinos Altos. Distances are approximated and intended to show general areas, not too specific. Allowances must be made for terrain, weather, and other conditions. This exercise proved to be quite revealing.

Note: I recently found tangible evidence that one of my favorite treasure tale authors mislead readers so he could focus on the real treasure area himself. No I will not reveal who it is. But discovering that leads me to conclude Adams did the same, and he even admitted he never told anyone the whole story of how to get to the LAD. Food for serious thought.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
UncleMatt wrote
Note: I recently found tangible evidence that one of my favorite treasure tale authors mislead readers so he could focus on the real treasure area himself. No I will not reveal who it is. But discovering that leads me to conclude Adams did the same, and he even admitted he never told anyone the whole story of how to get to the LAD. Food for serious thought.

This is a serious problem and fortunately not all treasure writers do it, nor have been doing it. I won't name the author but one of the few books on lost mines of the Black Hills has several deliberate false leads to mislead anyone searching for the mines, specifically Toussaint Kensler (misleading people to look in the Badlands for it, of all places) and Standoff Bar, but anyway it is good that you recognize that all sources are subject to question. Even when the source is telling you exactly what they know and not intended to be false or misleading, they can be very wrong in their beliefs. In virtually all of these lost mines and lost treasure legends, it is fairly safe to assume that at least one fact or clue is wrong, which has helped to keep these things lost.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, please do continue. The twin peaks are a key landmark - and I believe that Adams knew of at least one other landmark which he looked for when out on a search for his lost mine, but never made public. I am not referring to the "saddle tree" as this was mentioned.
Oroblanco

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
UncleMatt,

Check the map on page 191. With a magnifying glass, you can see the location of the Patterson Ranch as mentioned on page 8. Bad job of editing, I guess.

Bill

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had seen that map before, but did not think of it being the map mentioned on page 8. It gave me the idea to use distances from known landmarks on my Google Earth map. That map is not especially clear in the book I have, does anyone have a copy where the map is on glossy paper, and is clearer?

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me, or does interest in LAD on T-net seem to be on the wane?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
UncleMatt - don't let a quiet period fool you, there is a lot of interest in the Lost Adams; sometimes it is hard to get some of these treasure hunters to talk, they can be a secretive bunch! As our mutual amigo Springfield noted, over 100,000 views, and this part of the forum is not nearly as old as some of the others.

Please do continue,
Oroblanco

:coffee2::coffee2: :coffee:

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh. I posted something here, and now its gone. That's been happening a lot on this site today...

Oro, I totally agree, I think many LAD hunters are simply fearful they will give something away if they post. When I think of all the many thousands of people who have searched for the LAD, but have come up empty, I'm not really worried about giving something away. Short of GPS cords for the exact spot, I doubt anyone is going to post anything on T-net that will allow someone to go right to the LAD.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Heck UncleMatt - there are people posting exact coordinates on the forums trying to get people to go out there and look, and it is just as likely they are trying to send people on a wild goose chase! These Lost Adams hunters are harder to get talking, the info is so hard to win that few want to just give it away.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola, coffee?? Try 108* 59' W 28* 01 N For the Tayopa Naranjal hehehehheheh

Oh you found the orchard of ORANGE TREES there amigo? You did not mention that previously, nor that the longitude and latitude were SO far from where every indication was that Naranjal really is? :tongue3:

Please do continue - if the twin peaks can be positively identified I think it will go a long way to finding the Lost Adams diggings.
Oroblanco

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee:

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently making up some Google Earth maps with every known LAD landmark shown, as well as a map that illustrates colored sectors that show areas covered by claimed distances from distant landmarks (like I talked about earlier). As soon as I get them complete I will post them here. Of course, I expect to get everyone's exact GPS cords for their favorite LAD sites. LOL (holds breath)

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Wow, UncleMatt, that sounds very cool and will be very interesting. I for one am looking forward to seeing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions