Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Im calling out TreasureForce for their LAD claims

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2227 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Are there any records in Pinos Altos that might show if anyone was listed as a gold merchant at that time Springfield? At the county or any local museums? Or is there a list of merchants at all from that time period?

I am also curious if New Mexico Tech might have some records in their Adam's Archive. I will try to get down there before spring to run that down. Let me know if you come across anything, and I will do the same.

us
    Jul 2012
    2227 times
    Thanks for that heads up TrunkMonkey! MUCH APPRECIATED!
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Jan 15, 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Charter Member
    um
    Dec 2008
    1939 times
    Interested Party in UK:

Thank you for your kind words!

The book Mammy Pleasant's Partner by Helen O'Donnell Holdredge (1954) contains a brief account of a Cocos Island treasure recovery. The proceeds were used to purchase the famous New Almaden quicksilver mine in California. Apparently the plunder had only been hidden a short time - this appears to have been in the gray area between treasure hunting and theft.

Our Search for the Missing Millions (of Cocos Island) by One of the Searchers (1904) is a very interesting account of a failed treasure hunt. Privately printed in San Francisco, I believe most copies were destroyed in the Fire and Earthquake of 1906. You can read about the venture in the excellent Voyage of the Herman. Had the author of that excellent work known about Our Search... some gaps in the story might have been filled.

Many readers have found E.F. Knight's The Cruise of the "Alerte" in Search of Treasure (1891) to be interesting. I know I have. Knight was a newspaper correspondent along with Stephen Crane and Richard Harding Davis during the Spanish American War. He lost an arm in World War I and continued to enjoy yachting - giving more truth to the term "single-handed sailing" than he probably cared for.

For summaries of many famous treasures and treasure hunts - and certainly more accurate accounts than most (including a chapter on Oak Island) it's difficult to match Robert Nesmith's Dig for Pirate Treasure (1958). When I first started collecting treasure literature I purchased many items from Bob's old Foul Anchor Archives mailorder operation. From time to time you can still find books and pamphlets with his sticker on the inside back or front cover.

You might enjoy William La Verre's Gold, Diamonds and Orchids (1935) and Southward Ho! A Treasure Hunter in South America (1940). I highly recommend Bingham's Lost City of the Incas (not a very original suggestion, I'm afraid) and the first-rate Valverde's Gold - which will probably lead you to several other books.

Percy Fawcett's Lost Trails, Lost Cities (1953) is one you are probably familiar with. David Grann's recent The Lost City of Z; A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon (2010) I found quite good.

Hope these titles provide you with some clues to further reading!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Charter Member
    um
    Dec 2008
    1939 times
    UncleMatt:

I believe they a very brief YouTube video purporting to show a huge recovery of Civil War treasure. Someone had the nerve to comment the video didn't really show anything at all.

The TreasureForce response was on the order of "we can't really show you anything..." Well, they certainly didn't!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    UncleMatt likes this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

Charter Member
    um
    Dec 2008
    1939 times
    Interested Party in UK:

Here are a few more suggestions:

Ralph D. Paine's Book of Buried Treasure; Being a True History of the Gold, Jewels, and Plate of Pirates, Galleons, etc., Which Are Sought for to This Day (1911) is an absolute classic - a cornerstone book for any treasure library. It was Paine who found buried in the British archives Capt. Kidd's missing "French Passes." It's doubtful they would have saved Kidd from the hangman's noose, because his King and government were determined to get rid of him. The fact the government went to such lengths to hide them, however, makes it clear how important they were. Perhaps they could have rescued "Our Trusty and Beloved Captain William Kidd" (King William).

Two more classics are Lost Treasure; True Tales of Hidden Hoards (1930) and They Found Gold! The Story of Successful Treasure Hunts (1936) by A. Hyatt Verrill. Verrill is one of the most accurate treasure writers I've read. And - unlike many other authors - he was an explorer and adventurer who actually visited many of the locales he wrote about.

Rolf Blomberg's Buried Gold and Anacondas (1959) is an entertaining South America book about lost cities and lost Inca gold. It's a good title to go with Valverde's Gold.

You didn't ask about fiction. However, there is much to be learned from David Dodge's Plunder of the Sun. Hardcase Crime reprinted it, so there are plenty of inexpensive used paperback copies out there. It is one of the most realistic novels about treasure hunting I've read.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

vg
    Raggedy old Crow

Jan 2005
    In a tax haven
    I refuse to comment of the grounds I may incriminate myself.
    3538 times
    Growing old disgrace fully as possible.
    Trouble with these shows..

film directors expect to find stuff on cue....

In the real treasure hunting world it is years of trawling through archive and patient research through records. With long period of no results on the ground. Not quite as exciting as the movies how they always find the crucial information in a matter of seconds. Expedition can be long complex expensive enterprise with endless round of head aches. In the movies the hero of the story just waltz's into a countries usually with a pretty girl in tow with non customs border security in sight. Of the course the mandatory screen short of our hero rippling six pack as he beats off the baddies and always to miss the 50 million bullets fired at him. And of course what who a movies be with out mandatory explosion without at least baddie flying through the air. In slow motion of course.

Reality or unreality shows I call them are cheap blend of fact and fiction. in reality to many people real treasure hunting would be very boring to them as the the general population today has a 2 second attention span. Reality shows only achieve one thing? They create a false impression of what a treasure hunting is. In fact the more these shows are aired the more the fuel will be added to the fire of PROPAGANDA that bureaucrats and archeologists will use to burn real treasure hunters. Before long even beaches will be off limits and various places even more legislated to be off limits to the humble old guy swing a metal detector.

That's why real I hold them with disdain and great contempt.

Enough said

Crow
    Last edited by Crow; Jan 15, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    lastleg likes this.

Charter Member
    um
    Dec 2008
    1939 times
    TrunkMonkey:

Not long ago UncleMatt ordered from me a copy of my reprint of the famous Byerts' Lost Adams pamphlet. I had a couple of different orders going and somehow I managed to send him two copies instead of one. He immediately let me know and promptly returned one of them to me!

So - I certainly trust Uncle Matt!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    UncleMatt and TrunkMonkey like this.
    Make America Think Again

us
    Jul 2012
    2227 times
    Bookaroo, do you know of any documentation of the 60 to 70 pounds of gold the Dutchman supposedly sold in Pinos Altos in the early 1860's? I honestly thought that was documented somewhere.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11706 times
    Bookaroo, Have you ever read "Enchanted Vagabonds" by Dan & Ginger Lamb? They spent some time on Cocos, just the two of them , searching for treasure. NO! they didn't find any since they had to cut their trip short due to Dana falling on his machete and requiring med help. They were instrumental in founding the "Adventurers club" in L.A.

They were famous for constructing a modified canoe and sailing down the west coast of Mexico etc., and through the Canal. while living off of the country.

We were personal friends, in fact they turned me towards Mexico and Latin America instead of Asia and Polynesia. Sorry Crow.

Don Jose de La Mancha

More Information About The Adventurers' Club of Los Angeles <-- Lots of interesting storis there.
    Last edited by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

Charter Member
    um
    Dec 2008
    1939 times
    RdTTT:

Those names are familiar - although I have not read Enchanted Vagabonds. I will look for it, to add to my Cocos collection.

There is a book about a lost city (it is titled Lost City?) in Mexico that I believe was written by the Lambs. I have the paperback - and I'll confess that, like so many volumes I own, I've never gotten around to actually reading it. A personal failing, perhaps, but a common habit that keeps booksellers such as myself in rice and beans.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    4425 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    RdTTT:

Those names are familiar - although I have not read Enchanted Vagabonds. I will look for it, to add to my Cocos collection.

There is a book about a lost city (it is titled Lost City?) in Mexico that I believe was written by the Lambs. I have the paperback - and I'll confess that, like so many volumes I own, I've never gotten around to actually reading it. A personal failing, perhaps, but a common habit that keeps booksellers such as myself in rice and beans.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    OB,

The name of the book is "Quest For The Lost City". It can also be found in hard cover.

It's well worth the price.

Take care,

Joe

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11706 times
    G'd coffee time Ole Bookarooo, Correct, they also wrote about that adventure looking for the lost "Golden Book" in the Yucatan, partially responsible for my backpacking trip into the same region. Enchanted Vagabonds" is available for free reading at ==>

Here is a picture of their boat in the Adventurers club===> About The Adventurers' Club of Los Angeles

Jose

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11706 times
    Joe, as disgustingly happwns all too often, you are correct ?

Jode

Mar 2013
    1812 times
    Hello Crow

Fascinating stuff!

Now that is what you call a holiday!!!

Oh what many of us would give just to have a glimpse of 'that' world (the one of international cache recovery) where mystery, secrecy, danger, thrill and risk versus reward are the order of the day, and it will all determine whether an expedition is successful or otherwise. But most of us will never do so unless we happen to bump into one of those 1 in 1,000,000,000,000 and they take a shine to us and show us what it's all about.........

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    OB,

The name of the book is "Quest For The Lost City". It can also be found in hard cover.

It's well worth the price.

Take care,

Joe
    A pal recently highly recommended this book - and offered to loan it to me! He said it's a 'killer read', even though he told me the Lost City was determined by Central America archaeologists to not really be lost after all. I've got 'Lincoln Lawyer' to finish first, then a Shackelton book - after that I'll ignore another stack of unread ones and maybe check this one out.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links