Return to the Lost Adams Diggings. The Paul Hale Story. By Richard U. French

sgtdan

Aug 12, 2012
Return to the Lost Adam's Diggings. The Paul Hale Story. By Richard U. French

Howdy folks. I am a friend of author Dick French. I posted in 2012 here that he had been contacted by Paul A. Hale.

Here is French's second book that details everything as well as the chimney of the burned down cabin that was found. They also found human bones, artifacts and gold with pictures to prove everything on the old maps!

Return To The Lost Adams Diggings: The Paul A. Hale Story (Black and White Version): Richard U French: 9781497535732: Amazon.com: Books

The Lost Adams Diggings-Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association

Pay attention friends this is the real deal and the momentum starts in 2015.

Here is a copy of my original post four years ago.
Be sure to get a copy of the May/June 2011 issue of Gold Prospectors magazine. Author Richard French "Four Days From Fort Wingate" should have an article in it.

The first part of this story can be seen on page 6 in the January 1011 newsletter of our local club's website.

Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association

Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association-Newsletters

Dick French has written a new book that has not been published yet "Return to the Lost Adams Diggings". I have read it and it is outstanding! Hundreds of Adams Artifacts found, some early Spanish. Bone fragments found also. Pictures of the cabin's chimney. GPS data. Assay reports!

French & Dobie were both about 20 miles to far to the west in their searches.

Best Wishes
Dan
:)

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Howdy folks. I am a friend of author Dick French. I posted in 2012 here that he had been contacted by Paul A. Hale.

Here is French's second book that details everything as well as the chimney of the burned down cabin that was found. They also found human bones, artifacts and gold with pictures to prove everything on the old maps!

Return To The Lost Adams Diggings: The Paul A. Hale Story (Black and White Version): Richard U French: 9781497535732: Amazon.com: Books

The Lost Adams Diggings-Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association

Pay attention friends this is the real deal and the momentum starts in 2015.

Here is a copy of my original post four years ago.
Be sure to get a copy of the May/June 2011 issue of Gold Prospectors magazine. Author Richard French "Four Days From Fort Wingate" should have an article in it.

The first part of this story can be seen on page 6 in the January 1011 newsletter of our local club's website.

Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association

Amarillo Prospectors & Treasure Hunters Association-Newsletters

Dick French has written a new book that has not been published yet "Return to the Lost Adams Diggings". I have read it and it is outstanding! Hundreds of Adams Artifacts found, some early Spanish. Bone fragments found also. Pictures of the cabin's chimney. GPS data. Assay reports!

French & Dobie were both about 20 miles to far to the west in their searches.

Best Wishes
Dan
:)

tag post please do continue. :thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend sent me something about this back then. Didn't know TNet existed. Didn't you give coorinates(he sent me some)? I went on google earth and found a Z shaped set of passages that led to a canyon at those points. Interesting story...

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was interesting to read that one of the main searchers in this book used the same method I did on my LAD Google Map, drawing distance circles from known points, and then choosing areas within them to search.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished this book, and it gets my stamp of approval, for whatever that is worth. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the LAD tale. It has everything that the pathetic treasureforce claims about finding the LAD lacked - photos, evidence, and rational. I am still disturbed by the lack of gold found, but since the artifacts they recovered were several inches below the surface, perhaps erosional forces have also hidden the lions share of the gold. In this book you will see photos of the rock chimney, which I found fascinating. You will also hear of how they discovered unquestionable evidence that 2 of the old LAD searchers from way back in the day had made it to the same site. Its even possible the easy pickings were simply removed so that no surface gold remains now. Great book!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I finished this book, and it gets my stamp of approval, for whatever that is worth. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the LAD tale. It has everything that the pathetic treasureforce claims about finding the LAD lacked - photos, evidence, and rational. I am still disturbed by the lack of gold found, but since the artifacts they recovered were several inches below the surface, perhaps erosional forces have also hidden the lions share of the gold. In this book you will see photos of the rock chimney, which I found fascinating. You will also hear of how they discovered unquestionable evidence that 2 of the old LAD searchers from way back in the day had made it to the same site. Its even possible the easy pickings were simply removed so that no surface gold remains now. Great book!

Well thanks UncleMatt, you saved me from buying the book. I will never understand why so many people have claimed to have found a famous lost mine, and then don't have even a SPECK of gold (or silver, etc) to show for it. Any prospector will tell them that no matter how worked-out a mine may be, they never get it all, there always remains SOME of the gold or silver or copper, because it is neither possible nor profitable to try to extract every speck of the metals. Even in some of the oldest mines on Earth, thought to have been the work of Egyptians, are identifiable as mines for there is some of the ore minerals remaining.

In the case of the Lost Adams, the batch of clues available is really a mix from two different mines located in different areas, <and two different time periods> so if they were trying to follow the clues without first figuring out which clue belongs to which lost Adams, and then found NO gold? I will go out on a limb here and say they did not find the lost Adams, probably found the site of some misfortunate homesteader who fell victim to the Apaches or Navajos.

Thanks again for the review, don't think I will order a copy after all.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should read the book anyway, they did find gold, just not tons sitting on the surface to pick up like in the story

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kindle version is only $9, well worth every penny in my opinion.

I always talk about how people need to do more work in the field, well, these guys did that kind of hard work for decades and found a lot of very interesting things in the process.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I'm going with Roy on this one. I never could figure a chimney erection would have been
necessary if the yarn had teeth. It's the details, duh?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the yarn includes a fireplace with a hearth, which would require a stone chimney if a wood structure was involved, that all fits.

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Excellent book again by Richard French and kudos to Paul Hale and his partners for their arduous efforts and success.

I bought the ebook; quite a "page turner" for the LAD enthusiasts. Had I not dozed off, I would have finished it in one setting. Using a topomap website and GoogleEarth, I was able to locate and blow up the cabin site as described in the book for a very close view. The chimney stones are obvious on the surface. I was hoping that one of Richard French's illustrations would also include the actual route Adams used once he arrived just southwest of the mountains. I am interested in which drainages on the topo map the Adams party took to access the "Bench" and finally the Old Canyon site where they built the cabin. It would be interesting to compare the Allen map to the actual route. French does include some of the map references on a GoogleEarth illustration in his book, but it would be interesting to see where the rest of the "check points" are located once Adams crossed north of the Plains of San Agustin: the little door, the pumpkin patch, the big square rock, and the zig zag trail/canyon.

In his book, Richard French indicates that the zig zag canyon/trail is Rock House Canyon; I found two - one in Catron County and the other in Socorro County but not sure which is the significant one. I would imagine it would be the one in Socorro County which is south of Old Canyon.

I assume the Adams Party skirted the mountains just north of present day Route 12 and entered the mountain drainages north of Route 60 northeast of Datil.

Mr. French, could you add the locations of those points to your illustration and post them here?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Bill

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to add a bunch of points of interest to my LAD GE map as well!

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I was able to add a bunch of points of interest to my LAD GE map as well!

UncleMatt,

I think this pix is a blow up of the chimney site . If you can blow up the image, you will notice a couple of piles of rocks in the center near the bushes... do you agree?

Bill

Chimney Site.jpg

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is the location they indicate in the book, and even with the low resolution of GE, you can still see the rocks from the fallen chimney.

I think its important to note if you have the right rocks around, and enough water to make mud, you could make this sort of thing easily. The rocks don't have to be a perfect fit at all, you just alternate layers of rock and mud. After you build the lower part, you build a fire inside to dry it out, and then keep going up to the desired height.

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I agree. The construction would be quick in my opinion and logs from years of heavy rains probably washed tons of timber into the vicinity for the logs needed for walls. They probably didn't have far to go for the wood.

By the way, what is your best "guestimate" for the location of the "square bolder"?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was unable to find the big square rock itself on GE, but the general area should be just north of the "low pass" around GPS 34.369584°, -107.654318°.

To be clear, I have no idea if this is THE Lad site. But these guys put in a lot of time, and came out with real evidence, no delusional claims or bullshit. And they have Google Earth maps which illustrate locations very clearly, and allow the knowledgeable reader to easily incorporate those locations into their own maps. No claims that they couldn't reveal details and data due to fictional media deals. No corny youtube videos. Just the facts as they occurred. We should all be so lucky as to write a book like that!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious where the rock house is located that they speak of...

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the location of the rock house I asked about earlier? Anyone have any leads or GPS on that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread