Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Return to the Lost Adams Diggings. The Paul Hale Story. By Richard U. French

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2250 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was unable to find the big square rock itself on GE, but the general area should be just north of the "low pass" around GPS 34.369584°, -107.654318°.

To be clear, I have no idea if this is THE Lad site. But these guys put in a lot of time, and came out with real evidence, no delusional claims or bullshit. And they have Google Earth maps which illustrate locations very clearly, and allow the knowledgeable reader to easily incorporate those locations into their own maps. No claims that they couldn't reveal details and data due to fictional media deals. No corny youtube videos. Just the facts as they occurred. We should all be so lucky as to write a book like that!

us
    Jul 2012
    2250 times
    I'm curious where the rock house is located that they speak of...
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Jan 26, 2015 at 08:35 PM.

us
    Jul 2012
    2250 times
    Is this perhaps the big square rock?

34.369618°, -107.655464°

us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times
    Looks like a very strong possibility.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Square Roc3?.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	798.3 KB 
ID:	1114129

us
    Jul 2012
    2250 times
    How about the location of the rock house I asked about earlier? Anyone have any leads or GPS on that?

us
    May 2012
    mid Michigan
    968 times
    Prospecting

just finished reading the book

I purchased the book "return to the lost adams diggins". Awesome read, could not put it down finished it in 2 days. HOWEVER, could not help but be very disappointed by the finish.
    Seems to me, they never really found the "big one", kept needing more prospecting, then just as they had the machine to do it, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation inherited the property and ended the search.
    Cant help it, but it was a huge let down at the end of the book. Like no real ending.
    I have searched many sites myself, and found bones, artifacts, cans, knifes. gold in various concentrations, blah blah they are everywhere. You cant metal detect anywhere in NM without finding stuff like that.
    Its like the entire book you are waiting for the real positive proof, then looks like they have the machine to deliver and RMEF pulls the plug. Book over. Really??
    Extremely disappointing ending, but yet, it might just keep the hunt alive.
    Guess im not sure if they found the LAD or not
    If they did, it was sure a disappointment.
    12 years for old tin cans and bone fragments?? and various assays? That stuff is everywhere.
    Fallen down chimneys, burnt cabins, they are all over the place in NM, you cant explore any canyon without finding one.
    hmmmm, not sure what to think. Loved the read, but the ending sucked.
    Im left really hangin on this one??

whiskeyrat
    lastleg likes this.

Mar 2015
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabill View Post
    Excellent book again by Richard French and kudos to Paul Hale and his partners for their arduous efforts and success.

I bought the ebook; quite a "page turner" for the LAD enthusiasts. Had I not dozed off, I would have finished it in one setting. Using a topomap website and GoogleEarth, I was able to locate and blow up the cabin site as described in the book for a very close view. The chimney stones are obvious on the surface. I was hoping that one of Richard French's illustrations would also include the actual route Adams used once he arrived just southwest of the mountains. I am interested in which drainages on the topo map the Adams party took to access the "Bench" and finally the Old Canyon site where they built the cabin. It would be interesting to compare the Allen map to the actual route. French does include some of the map references on a GoogleEarth illustration in his book, but it would be interesting to see where the rest of the "check points" are located once Adams crossed north of the Plains of San Agustin: the little door, the pumpkin patch, the big square rock, and the zig zag trail/canyon.

In his book, Richard French indicates that the zig zag canyon/trail is Rock House Canyon; I found two - one in Catron County and the other in Socorro County but not sure which is the significant one. I would imagine it would be the one in Socorro County which is south of Old Canyon.

I assume the Adams Party skirted the mountains just north of present day Route 12 and entered the mountain drainages north of Route 60 northeast of Datil.

Mr. French, could you add the locations of those points to your illustration and post them here?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Bill
    Hi Bill,
    I apologize for being so long in getting back to you. Thank you for your interest and your kind review of my book.
    There are two maps at the end of chapter 3, pages 77 & 78 in the book. They display the Adams route from the crossing of the
    "Big Much Traveled Trail" (over the bench) to the cabin site. Before they got to the big trail, I believe they traveled an Indian
    trail that brought them in from what is now the Springerville, AZ area along a course near what is now US Highway 60. That is
    my determination from information in the Charles Allen account.
    I hope this helps you out, and thanks again for your interest.
    Dick French

us
    Jul 2012
    2250 times
    Richard, can you please give us a GPS location for the location of the rock house mentioned in the book?

Mar 2015
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
    Richard, can you please give us a GPS location for the location of the rock house mentioned in the book?
    The Rock House location is identified on the map on page 77 of the book.
    Richard French

Mar 2015
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabill View Post
    UncleMatt,

I think this pix is a blow up of the chimney site . If you can blow up the image, you will notice a couple of piles of rocks in the center near the bushes... do you agree?

Bill

Attachment 1110763
    Bill,
    The site marked for the chimney is about 100 yards north of the actual chimney site. Use cords: 34-368021North 107642208 West. The black spot in the center is the hearth. I think what you saw were the rocks in the Circle of Rocks; they are very large. Cords for the Big Square Rock are: 34-370825North 107652557West. The Rock House site is identified on page 77.
    Again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Dick French

us
    Jul 2012
    2250 times
    I purchased my copy as a kindle book, and it does not have page numbers that match the printed book. Instead it has locations. With the font set to the smallest setting, what location number is the rock house location shown DF? Or at least what chapter it is in to help narrow things down a bit.
    Last edited by UncleMatt; May 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
    I purchased my copy as a kindle book, and it does not have page numbers that match the printed book. Instead it has locations. With the font set to the smallest setting, what location number is the rock house location shown DF? Or at least what chapter it is in to help narrow things down a bit.
    Am anxiously waiting for my hard copy of Richard's book to arrive. Have been intensely interested in the LAD since reading his 1st book for at least three reasons--

he is an *excellent* story teller and

he did his field work, allowing the real geography "on the ground" literally to guide him in determining the next step to take, rather than taking the next step due to some sacred theory he was allowing to drive him and

he loved doing the fieldwork. As a former Grand Canyon backpacker, and lover of the South West, I can think of very few things more fulfilling than exploring and simply enjoying the beauty of NM & Arizona.

While I understand they did find some gold at the site they id'd as the LAD, apparently the mother lode had been cleaned out-- how about moving on to the original site Gotch Ear was aiming to take them, which was, according to the stories, 1 or 2 days closer to the two mountains visible from the area just before (or is it the Mesa above) the Zig ZAg Canyon's "Little Door."

Looking forward to a great read (and reread, and reread again, etc, etc.,..)

George

us
    Dec 2014
    PA
    Bounty Hunter , Looking at ATX Garrett
    That Gold is still there , I can show the people that own that property where it is but they have never contacted me from my first contact .

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times

Why say.....?

Quote Originally Posted by concho View Post
    That Gold is still there , I can show the people that own that property where it is but they have never contacted me from my first contact .
    Concho,

Would you please share with us why, specifically, you say "That gold is still there"?

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    Interesting article at:

THE LOST ADAMS DIGGINGS by ps94506

Check out especially the 3rd page of the article, paragraphs 2-4. I'm looking forward to seeing if Dick French's book LAD location relates to the discovery of these skeletons, (back in the 30's?, if not earlier?) by Bob Lewis of Magdelana.
    lastleg and Oroblanco like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links