Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Return to the Lost Adams Diggings. The Paul Hale Story. By Richard U. French

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    mid Michigan
    883 times
    Prospecting
    The above gps coordinates given for the cabin site (cabin hearth) are in Old Canyon. A relatively easily accessible canyon that can be entered from the top, bottom and many places from the side all along its length.
    In the LAD legends, the cabin site (the gold canyon site) is in a double box end canyon with no access from above or below.
    The double box canyon of the legand is only accessible thru the "secret door" which gains entrance to the zig zag canyon and then into the side of the "gold canyon where the cabin was. The secret door is so narrow as a rider can almost touch both sides of the canyon (like a crack in a vertical limestone cliff).
    There is no access above the cabin, there is no access or exit out of the gold canyon below the cabin (the stream goes into the ground to find its way out, as in it flows under the lower box end (vertical cliffs)).

Above the cabin is a waterfall that marks the sacred burial ground of the apaches. Above the waterfall, is a box end, no access, no exit (as in vertical cliffs)
    Chief Nana warned the Adams party not to prospect above the waterfall as it was sacred. They did, so he killed them.

I dont find any waterfall above this "cabin" location give by RUF in the post above. Old canyon is far from a "double box end canyon", it is relatively easily accessible from the top, the bottom and many locations along its length.

Sorry, I just dont see the above given location as anything close to the the Adams cabin site.

wr
    lastleg likes this.

us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rufrench View Post
    Bill,
    The site marked for the chimney is about 100 yards north of the actual chimney site. Use cords: 34-368021North 107642208 West. The black spot in the center is the hearth. I think what you saw were the rocks in the Circle of Rocks; they are very large. Cords for the Big Square Rock are: 34-370825North 107652557West. The Rock House site is identified on page 77.
    Again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Dick French
    Thanks, Dick,

Now it is my turn to apologize for being so late to reply. I have been having problems with access to my email server and finally got it resolved. I'm way behind with email, but finally back to normal ops.

I found the correct cabin location with the dark spot still on the surface that located the hearth. Thanks for clearing that up. I also was having trouble locating your references in my Kindle version - no page numbers - but located the two route maps in Chapter 3. I was able to trace the same path on Google Earth and see how the clues from most earlier accounts fit nicely. But I was hoping like others to be able to identify the Rock House site in Rock House Canyon. I would think that Google Earth should give some indication of a remaining rectangular pattern on the surface in the vicinity where you have indicated on the topo map in your book. But so far, I haven't been able to do so. If and when I do, I'll post what I think are the coordinates for the Rock House. If you have already done this, could you post the coords, please?

Again, Dick, thanks for publishing this excellent account of evidence to support the finding of the legendary "Lost Adams Diggings".

Bill
    Last edited by alaskabill; May 27, 2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I previously suggested that there was a picture of the Rock House, but cannot find it. So I deleted the reference.

us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMatt View Post
    I purchased my copy as a kindle book, and it does not have page numbers that match the printed book. Instead it has locations. With the font set to the smallest setting, what location number is the rock house location shown DF? Or at least what chapter it is in to help narrow things down a bit.
    UncleMatt,
    I'm not positive, but here is an image on google earth that might be the foundation of the Rock House in Rock House Canyon. The side lengths are about 9 feet on each side. It is in the vicinity of where Dick French locates the Rock House structure on the map in Chapter 3. The green line in the image is my approximation of Adams route based on Dick French's map in Chapter 3.

34°18’26.86"N
    107°38'25.23"W

Dick, do you agree?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockHouse.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	1167510
    Last edited by alaskabill; May 27, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
    UncleMatt likes this.

Mar 2013
    1812 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If the legend is true about the "pumpkin patch" and the venerable old Mangas Coloradas' Rancheria being located in close proximity to the LAD site, then it isn't that much of a mystery as the Mimbreno chief was visited many times by the US cavalry and it was relatively well known where Mangas would be when he was in New Mexico.

What brings some complexity to the matter is the fact that the old mighty chief and lost his beloved home at Pinos Altos to gold miners and prospectors and had enlisted the help of his son-in-law (a certain Chiricahua chief called Cochise) to 'eliminate' the trespassers. If the LAD is real, and Adams described it accurately, then it would be fairly straightforward to locate it based on where old Mangas resided in his mountain Rancheria in New Mexico where there was old rock-houses and cultivation patches.
    Oroblanco, sdcfia and lastleg like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2227 times
    Chapter 3 map. Got it.

Something I absolutely hate about kindle books is the lack of a zoom feature for maps and photos, and that you can't cut and paste maps, or save the maps to a file. Very irritating indeed!

us
    Jul 2012
    2227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabill View Post
    UncleMatt,
    I'm not positive, but here is an image on google earth that might be the foundation of the Rock House in Rock House Canyon. The side lengths are about 9 feet on each side. It is in the vicinity of where Dick French locates the Rock House structure on the map in Chapter 3. The green line in the image is my approximation of Adams route based on Dick French's map in Chapter 3.

34°18’26.86"N
    [FONT=Helvetica]107°38'25.23"W

Dick, do you agree?

That GPS points to what looks like a large rock. I think this GPS points to it: 34.311517, -107.640801 . Tell me what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockHouse.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	1167827
    Last edited by UncleMatt; May 28, 2015 at 05:30 PM.
    alaskabill and whiskeyrat like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    2227 times
    Please people, don't destroy what little is left of it!

us
    Jan 2009
    Alaska
    White's GMT
    12 times
    Yep, I think you are correct. This location appears more like a foundation for a rock house than the one I found.
    UncleMatt likes this.

no
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    857 times
    Maybe I am not remembering right, but was it not from Silver City that Adams in later years tried to find his 'place'? If so, one would think he would be able to recognize some of the features ...
    Oroblanco likes this.

mt
    Sep 2014
    4201 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
    Maybe I am not remembering right, but was it not from Silver City that Adams in later years tried to find his 'place'? If so, one would think he would be able to recognize some of the features ...
    [Note: in order not to disturb the Hale/French thread, I have deleted my two recent posts here and will re-post later today into a new thread]
    Last edited by sdcfia; May 31, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Oroblanco and Loke like this.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    Haven't quite finished Dick's new book-- some early observations.

1 It is a great read, although not as interesting, in an odd way, as his first book. I put this down to him interviewing Paul & Ron, rather than telling the story himself. He is a great story teller... and this book is "let's hear it from the horse's mouth authentic."

At first I felt cheated, having felt that Dick had shared all the clues he knew re: the LAD in his 1st book. Then, as I read & reread, I realized his comments about the Big Square Rock, and other landmarks were actually from the 'Ideal Sketch" of Charles Allen's account-- and that the point was that the Old Canyon location almost perfectly fit the map.

2 to believe they have actually located THE LAD, let go of ever having seen "McKenna's Gold", especially the last few minutes when they find the gold laden valley. You will forget this... as you remember the Earth is a VERY BIG place, and that looking at an area in Google Earth is often nothing much AT ALL like being on the ground at the same spot.

3 I wanna go to Datil, I wanna go to Datil, I wanna go to Datil.. (and at 65 with Parkinson's, I can't even hike anymore)

4 I totally get why they believe this IS the LAD-- as the story continues, with Paul finding more & more actual places from Allen's map, the thread of the story that this is the LAD is drawn tighter & tighter. Simply put, the real world on the ground matches the Allen map to a startling degree, with one important exception.

5 The prevalence of "civil war era" artifacts, and even Spanish items, is the icing on the cake for proving the story. Lotsa little "stuff" found all up & down the Canyon & adjoining canyons... stuff you'd expect to find associated with an a gold hunting expedition.

6 I would have liked bigger maps, so that the map notes would be more legible. Yes, I am a map freak (and don't see so well anymore)

7 I wanna go to Datil, I wanna go to Datil, I wanna go to Datil...

8 I assume the contract the RMEF offered Paul & Ron didn't:
    allow for heavy equipment to be used in Old canyon and
    didn't offer a fair % of the profits from whatever gold & other valuables are there

Will check back in when I've finished it. I AM interested in the Canyon that Gotch Ear was taking them to, which was another day's ride from Old Canyon toward D Cross Mountain & Bell Mtn-- which is the place where the real mother lode was, and now realize much more clearly why it is so challenging to find stuff in that area.
    Last edited by Curious_George; May 31, 2015 at 03:54 PM.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    Question on the Allen "Ideal Sketch":

As those who have seen the Allen "Ideal Sketch" know, there are several map notations that are difficult to read.

I think I've gotten all of them, except for:
    the note to the right of the word "valley"-- looks like it says "low xxxxxxxxx xxxxx"
    the note to the left of the same word "valley"-- looks like it, too, reads "low xxxxxx xxxx"- but seems slightly different from the first item listed above
    all three of the notes at the very NW corner of the "valley", or Old Canyon-- immediately to the right of & up at a 45 degree angle relative to the phrase "Big Square Rock"

Anybody able to fill in the blanks for us? It seems to me the book may explain these illegible notes, just don't remember where.

Also, does anyone know (and is willing to share) the specifics of the contract RMEF offered Paul & Ron, as well as any pertinent mineral & historic protection laws that may have a bearing on this locale? Seems to me there may be a good case for the historic value of the area, to preserve it, and allow mining, as long as it is done using non motorized methods & tools. (perhaps this precludes developing mining in the area, as the gold isn't simply lying on the ground, as had been thought)-- no dozers, cats, ore processing mills, etc)

Also, anyone from here actually been on the ground there and can tell us your view of the area?

While the evidence on the ground seems compelling, including rich assays, I gotta admit it seems hard to believe that boys from the Alamo Navaho reservation wouldn't have explored this area as teenagers, when Alamo is just ~ 8 miles away from Old Canyon.

George

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    OK.. I id'd 2 of the above pts-- the top to. I think they are:
    "low malpais pass" & "low malpais divide."

Any thoughts on the three notes at the very NW corner of the "valley", or Old Canyon-- immediately to the right of & up at a 45 degree angle relative to the phrase "Big Square Rock"?

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    I i'd two more--

the valley name is Hot-ta-pi-wa

the lower of the 3 labels/notes below the phrase "Rough Rocky" and "Choked Box Waterfall" is "Malpais Divide."

1 left-- the note the arrow from "Rough (&) Rocky" points to. I think it may actually BE "Rough & Rocky", with the "Rough" crossed out as illegible.

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Curious_George; Jun 03, 2015 at 08:45 AM.

Curious

Jul 2013
    MN
    21 times
    wr, Have you been in Old Canyon?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links