austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Our library doesn't have it yet. The area is above Silver City in the Gila National Fprest, is rough, but not bad when you're young, never saw a snake, or found any gold, but wasn't looking for it. Just hiking in my hippy days. Never was a legend chaser. The country up there is beautiful and you should check it out if you're still fit. "No Country For Old Men"
Also, check it out on Google Earth. There is a Z(squashed) shaped canyon that is supposed to be the entrance to the Adams Diggings. Friend emailed me the coorinates a few years ago. Canyon is there, wasn't interested and deleted said coordinates...

OP
OP
S

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Austin, you sure are right. That country is rough, unforgiving and very beautiful. My father lived in Mimbres, NM. I spent quite a bit of time up there with him. After he passed in 2011, I put it on the market and periodically travelled back and forth from San Antonio. Finally sold it in 2014. In hindsight I kind of wished I kept it.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Our library doesn't have it yet. The area is above Silver City in the Gila National Fprest, is rough, but not bad when you're young, never saw a snake, or found any gold, but wasn't looking for it. Just hiking in my hippy days. Never was a legend chaser. The country up there is beautiful and you should check it out if you're still fit. "No Country For Old Men"
Also, check it out on Google Earth. There is a Z(squashed) shaped canyon that is supposed to be the entrance to the Adams Diggings. Friend emailed me the coorinates a few years ago. Canyon is there, wasn't interested and deleted said coordinates...

I came here in my hippy days too and I'm still here. Even after more than 40 years of exploring it, and finding thousands of amazing locations, I feel like I've only scratched the surface. As you say, a fine choice for a person with young legs and a wandering spirit.

After many years of thought, I suspect that the Adams party worked the Bear Creek placers a few miles below Pinos Altos, during the period when the village was abandoned due to Apache trouble, and shortly after the murder of Mangas Coloradas. It's also my current opinion that Jacob Snively, who discovered the placers a couple years earlier, was the Dutchman in the group.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I'd kept the coordinates for you guys, but I figured I'd never need them. This was nack in about 2008 or so. I easily found the canyon sort of N of Silver City. Hard to see if you look for a Z, but look for a squashed down Z on it's side and that's it. Never went back because I am way older, way weaker and way smarter. And I don't think my old buddy found anything.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions