Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By San Antone
  • 3 Post By austin
  • 1 Post By Loke
  • 2 Post By San Antone
  • 4 Post By sdcfia
  • 2 Post By austin

Thread: Another Book on The Lost Adams Diggings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2014
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher Gemini-3
    70 times
    Native American artifact hunting & metal detecting

Another Book on The Lost Adams Diggings

Here is another book that came out not too long ago about The Lost Adams Diggings.
    I have not read it. Might be worth checking out. Here is the website address. I went ahead and ordered a copy thru Amazon.

Frontier Shadows - True story of the Lost Adams Diggings
    weekender and Oroblanco like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3467 times
    Research/Limited field work
    Our library doesn't have it yet. The area is above Silver City in the Gila National Fprest, is rough, but not bad when you're young, never saw a snake, or found any gold, but wasn't looking for it. Just hiking in my hippy days. Never was a legend chaser. The country up there is beautiful and you should check it out if you're still fit. "No Country For Old Men"
    Also, check it out on Google Earth. There is a Z(squashed) shaped canyon that is supposed to be the entrance to the Adams Diggings. Friend emailed me the coorinates a few years ago. Canyon is there, wasn't interested and deleted said coordinates...
    sdcfia, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

no
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    885 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    ... and deleted said coordinates...
    Darn it - and here I thought we were on to a good thing!!
    Oroblanco likes this.
    A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

us
    Jun 2014
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher Gemini-3
    70 times
    Native American artifact hunting & metal detecting
    Austin, you sure are right. That country is rough, unforgiving and very beautiful. My father lived in Mimbres, NM. I spent quite a bit of time up there with him. After he passed in 2011, I put it on the market and periodically travelled back and forth from San Antonio. Finally sold it in 2014. In hindsight I kind of wished I kept it.
    audigger53 and austin like this.

mt
    Sep 2014
    4424 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Our library doesn't have it yet. The area is above Silver City in the Gila National Fprest, is rough, but not bad when you're young, never saw a snake, or found any gold, but wasn't looking for it. Just hiking in my hippy days. Never was a legend chaser. The country up there is beautiful and you should check it out if you're still fit. "No Country For Old Men"
    Also, check it out on Google Earth. There is a Z(squashed) shaped canyon that is supposed to be the entrance to the Adams Diggings. Friend emailed me the coorinates a few years ago. Canyon is there, wasn't interested and deleted said coordinates...
    I came here in my hippy days too and I'm still here. Even after more than 40 years of exploring it, and finding thousands of amazing locations, I feel like I've only scratched the surface. As you say, a fine choice for a person with young legs and a wandering spirit.

After many years of thought, I suspect that the Adams party worked the Bear Creek placers a few miles below Pinos Altos, during the period when the village was abandoned due to Apache trouble, and shortly after the murder of Mangas Coloradas. It's also my current opinion that Jacob Snively, who discovered the placers a couple years earlier, was the Dutchman in the group.
    "Trust me, Wilbur. People are very gullible. They'll believe anything they see in print."
    E.B. White

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3467 times
    Research/Limited field work
    Wish I'd kept the coordinates for you guys, but I figured I'd never need them. This was nack in about 2008 or so. I easily found the canyon sort of N of Silver City. Hard to see if you look for a Z, but look for a squashed down Z on it's side and that's it. Never went back because I am way older, way weaker and way smarter. And I don't think my old buddy found anything.
    sdcfia and audigger53 like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links