Adams in the Papers - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Adams in the Papers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times
    Arbuckle coffee, I've read, came in a bag. "The real Arbuckle mud" became a phrase meaning the genuine article.

I've also read the company put a stick of peppermint in the bag. Well wrapped, I hope - otherwise it would taste like coffee. Chuck wagon range cooks would give the candy to the cowboy who helped clean up after dinner and wash the dishes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Oroblanco, sdcfia and audigger53 like this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times
    sdcfia: You are, of course, quite welcome! I am thoroughly enjoying these 19th (and early 20th) century newspaper articles. Reminds me of the great work done by Ed ("Jesse Rascoe") Bartholomew. Newspaper research certainly is much easier today.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Oroblanco, sdcfia and audigger53 like this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    8836 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    Arbuckle coffee, I've read, came in a bag. "The real Arbuckle mud" became a phrase meaning the genuine article.

I've also read the company put a stick of peppermint in the bag. Well wrapped, I hope - otherwise it would taste like coffee. Chuck wagon range cooks would give the candy to the cowboy who helped clean up after dinner and wash the dishes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    You can still buy the genuine Arbuckle's coffee:

https://www.arbucklecoffee.com/

I was surprised to learn that 8 O'clock coffee is also a 'cowboy coffee' and was the main competitor for Arbuckle's, and it is also still available of course.

Please do continue;

us
    digger indian

Jul 2013
    spring texas
    fisher 1265
    662 times
    Prospecting
    when Adam's returned and tried to rediscover the canyon of gold there was a man
    who put up some money and helped him search for quite awhile, i think he may have
    kept searching even after Adam's left the area his name was C. A. Shaw, Captain Shaw
    wrote a book of some sort simply called ''Gold'', has anybody ever seen this book?
    Oroblanco likes this.

um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times
    Howdy!

I believe this is the book(let) you reference - written by Byerts, not Capt. Shaw (I'm not aware he ever wrote up the story):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOLD 1.0.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	1626265

That's my reprint - it's unobtainable in the original. (deleted by mod, non cm selling)
    Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Aug 28, 2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Make America Think Again

um
    Dec 2008
    2792 times
    Re: Post #18

A somewhat belated "Many thanx!" for posting that article. I couldn't read the name of the paper or the date at the top. However, a little research shows it appears to be from The Sun (New York, New York) 3 February 1890.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    cactusjumper and Oroblanco like this.
    Make America Think Again

us
    digger indian

Jul 2013
    spring texas
    fisher 1265
    662 times
    Prospecting
    Old Bookaroo, I have that book, C.A. Shaw was an ex navy capitain who financed and helped Adams himself search
    they said he was very weary of people, but believed everything Adams told him and never gave up on him.
    Dobie talks about his book, as well as McKenna and said the old captain knew things he never diclosed in
    the book, Shaws book like Beyrts was titled simply GOLD.
    Oroblanco likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links