Adams in the Papers

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
I'll post some newspaper clippings from a time period a little closer to the events than today.

Some very different perspectives.

I'll leave to our resident experts to try and separate out or explain the Adam's placer versus the Adam's Lode, the number of men in the original party, landmarks I've not heard of like the marked cottonwood tree, and so on. I'm very interested in what y'all have to say.

Some of the alternate search areas in the 5 or 6 articles I will post are well known to me, some I've not really been near. For some, I've got a little extra corroborating data or local information to add.

I think some of our more consistent posters will point out the apparent high level of belief in the diggings that existed at the time. Most articles are about a new party of men being organized to engage in the search. In one case, a state Governor is in the lead.

Apologies if this is all old information.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Adams Article #1

1853, 24 Men, Missouri to Cali, White Mountains, Granite "Door", four Rivers, Mt. Thomas, new party organized in Bisbee, etc.

Please dissect.

Several more to come, with very little overlap.

(I'm even interested in "fringe-y" stuff like *specifics* of how this might be a coded message)

Thanks.

View attachment UntitledFF.pdf

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, nmth. I'm looking forward to the other articles you've dug up. I'll add them to my collection. Thanks in advance.

This 1906 story is one I hadn't heard before. It seems like it could be an amalgamation of several gold hunting stories. The date, 1853, is the earliest one I've heard for the LAD - the next closest being the WW Williams account, which places the event in 1858. I wonder if the writer meant to say 1863? However, 1853 fits a bunch of prospectors headed to the CA mining scene, so that kinda fits.

Anyway, the group of prospectors are said to have come from the east (MO), not the west. That's new for the LAD legends. In a way, this kinda reminds me of the party from VA that was associated with the so-called Beale treasure that travelled to NM about 1850, as I recall. That's probably a big stretch.

The gold was found at the top of the highest peak in a range in AZ. That sounds an awful lot like the Rich Hill placer discovery near Weaverville AZ in 1863. Very rich placer there, according to reports.

The supply party intended to continue travel all the way to San Francisco. It would have made sense, I guess, since there weren't many (or any) options for selling gold or buying supplies in AZ in 1853.

My preliminary speculation: if the details in the news story are accurate (big "if"), it sounds like maybe the prospectors found the Rich Hill placers while on their way to CA ten years prior to its well-known discovery in 1863, and then all got killed. How Adams got tangled up in the tale? Sounds like a typical newspaper adventure story of the times, and the LAD was still an unsolved mystery at the time. Maybe the "lone survivor" got cross-pollinated with Adams. It might be interesting to see who H.H. Huddleston was, if possible. Might tie into your code thought.

I wonder if that Mexican Mustang Liniment is still available?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Nice find nmth, thanks for sharing this. I am a little surprised that one version is very similar to the oldest version I have, and the part where Adams is coming from the West. The Adams I am convinced is the original, came in to Arizona with the earliest wave of Mormon settlers, so it is a matter of speculation as to which direction he came in from.

Please do continue,
:coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Nice find, nmth. I'm looking forward to the other articles you've dug up. I'll add them to my collection. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the interest, maybe we could compare archives at some point. I have studied this much less than I think you have.

This 1906 story is one I hadn't heard before. It seems like it could be an amalgamation of several gold hunting stories. The date, 1853, is the earliest one I've heard for the LAD - the next closest being the WW Williams account, which places the event in 1858. I wonder if the writer meant to say 1863? However, 1853 fits a bunch of prospectors headed to the CA mining scene, so that kinda fits.

Anyway, the group of prospectors are said to have come from the east (MO), not the west. That's new for the LAD legends. In a way, this kinda reminds me of the party from VA that was associated with the so-called Beale treasure that travelled to NM about 1850, as I recall. That's probably a big stretch.

I don't have the dates committed to memory yet, and I don't know JJ-KGC stuff... even forgot to stop by the Mimbres Cemetery when I was there a few weeks back.

I definitely agree that this story seems like an amalgamation *compared to the better publicized ones*. Question is, should the veracity be gauged by democratic or meritocratic principles?

The gold was found at the top of the highest peak in a range in AZ. That sounds an awful lot like the Rich Hill placer discovery near Weaverville AZ in 1863. Very rich placer there, according to reports.

Yes, you are consistent in your logical, but minority approach of first finding gold and then ascribing Adams to it. Many declare the history based on landmarks and geography, and then look for gold second. If I had to take one or the other, I guess I'd settle for the gold...

In this case, the facts as presented in the story would have to be ignored I think far too much to end up at Rich Hill. High mountain, White Mountain Apaches, 4 rivers, big granite bluff, and AZ-NM border seem like too much of a stretch. Weaver is clear across the state. I do not know Mt. Thomas or the rivers in that part of AZ-NM well enough to venture a guess.

The supply party intended to continue travel all the way to San Francisco. It would have made sense, I guess, since there weren't many (or any) options for selling gold or buying supplies in AZ in 1853.

My preliminary speculation: if the details in the news story are accurate (big "if"), it sounds like maybe the prospectors found the Rich Hill placers while on their way to CA ten years prior to its well-known discovery in 1863, and then all got killed. How Adams got tangled up in the tale? Sounds like a typical newspaper adventure story of the times, and the LAD was still an unsolved mystery at the time. Maybe the "lone survivor" got cross-pollinated with Adams. It might be interesting to see who H.H. Huddleston was, if possible. Might tie into your code thought.

Not my code thought. I don't know enough about this yet to have those thoughts. Someone I know has been getting me thinking and I'm eager to hear theories about how such might work.

I wonder if that Mexican Mustang Liniment is still available?

My family has done their best to propagate forward a very old ointment recipe called "Trappers". Not for sale, but it's healing properties are quite amazing. Not sure if it will do anything for "Spavin", though.

////\\\[[[]]]]
Hang on, the other articles definitely diverge from the "usual" as well.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Nice find nmth, thanks for sharing this. I am a little surprised that one version is very similar to the oldest version I have, and the part where Adams is coming from the West. The Adams I am convinced is the original, came in to Arizona with the earliest wave of Mormon settlers, so it is a matter of speculation as to which direction he came in from.

Please do continue,
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Hi Oro,

Well, there's the Mormon Trail in the S. part of the state, but I don't know if the dates match up. Was the Mormon (military) Trail a one-time thing, or a connection of many informal routes like the Butterfield? I have been along the Mormon Trail a bit with some local historical groups, but other than a swale and tin can here and there, it did not look like anything special. There is a historical marker between Nutt and Lake Valley on the roadside. The trail goes South of the Silver City area mand then on down toward Hachita. Our fellow researcher sdcfia seems to like Silver City area as a possible location. Just turn "right" at Cookes from the trail and you are there in a jiffy.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Adams Article #2

Here's one that focuses North. I have seen other stories where Navajo country is suspected.

I can tell you that there is still some wild and eerie country out there West of Albuquerque!

However, the Jemez region is mostly Puebleo (at least now).

Talked to a crypto-Jew descendant (by way of saying his local family roots probably go waaaaay back - Google this term if you are not familiar; excellent associated folklore) up on the slopes of the range whose great-grandfather, a local Doctor, carried a big nugget he found "just up the hill". Geologically, problem is that it's mostly Copper country up there locally. Some gold over at Bland, but nothing Adams-like that I know of. Of course, if we discount distance, then of course Cerillos, and the Ortiz are somewhat local.

All in all, Paul and Ron's spot makes more sense being NE as they indicate - no idea how Jemez and Navajos make sense... at least according to *modern* boundaries, locations, and definitions.

Attachments

• Untitled222.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 378

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the interest, maybe we could compare archives at some point. I have studied this much less than I think you have.

I started with the Dobie and McKenna books and a couple old newspaper articles. Got a bunch more from the Purcell book, then kept accumulating. Used to think it was up in Datil country, then had an epiphany that changed my mind.

I don't have the dates committed to memory yet, and I don't know JJ-KGC stuff... even forgot to stop by the Mimbres Cemetery when I was there a few weeks back.

Which Mimbres cemetery are you referring to?

I definitely agree that this story seems like an amalgamation *compared to the better publicized ones*. Question is, should the veracity be gauged by democratic or meritocratic principles?

By merit, of course.

Yes, you are consistent in your logical, but minority approach of first finding gold and then ascribing Adams to it. Many declare the history based on landmarks and geography, and then look for gold second. If I had to take one or the other, I guess I'd settle for the gold...

Landmarks and geography matching is logical, but do you have any idea, for example, how many "twin peaks" exist in NM/AZ that can be bent to fit a favorite telling of the tale? And that's just one geographical feature. I like the idea of fitting a whole string of clues together (without eliminating troublesome ones) that lead to gold. Of course, one is faced with a serious problem no matter what method you use - which LAD version to use?

In this case, the facts as presented in the story would have to be ignored I think far too much to end up at Rich Hill. High mountain, White Mountain Apaches, 4 rivers, big granite bluff, and AZ-NM border seem like too much of a stretch. Weaver is clear across the state. I do not know Mt. Thomas or the rivers in that part of AZ-NM well enough to venture a guess.

Exactly. That's why I personally don't put credence in this newspaper story. It's too far out of sync with nearly all other versions. Not a final deal killer, I guess, but this patient has been read the last rites IMO.

Not my code thought. I don't know enough about this yet to have those thoughts. Someone I know has been getting me thinking and I'm eager to hear theories about how such might work.

Code is a funny animal. So are conspiracy theories. I prefer to consider myself a conspiracy analyst instead. Or as you might say, a "meritocraticist."

My family has done their best to propagate forward a very old ointment recipe called "Trappers". Not for sale, but it's healing properties are quite amazing. Not sure if it will do anything for "Spavin", though.

Hang on, the other articles definitely diverge from the "usual" as well.

After some of the terrain my partner have been battling through to flag line for a future property fence the past couple months, I've been hitting the Aleve more than usual.

Keep the articles coming - it helps keep the discussion alive.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one that focuses North. I have seen other stories where Navajo country is suspected.

I can tell you that there is still some wild and eerie country out there West of Albuquerque!

However, the Jemez region is mostly Puebleo (at least now).

Talked to a crypto-Jew descendant (by way of saying his local family roots probably go waaaaay back - Google this term if you are not familiar; excellent associated folklore) up on the slopes of the range whose great-grandfather, a local Doctor, carried a big nugget he found "just up the hill". Geologically, problem is that it's mostly Copper country up there locally. Some gold over at Bland, but nothing Adams-like that I know of. Of course, if we discount distance, then of course Cerillos, and the Ortiz are somewhat local.

All in all, Paul and Ron's spot makes more sense being NE as they indicate - no idea how Jemez and Navajos make sense... at least according to *modern* boundaries, locations, and definitions.

I spent quite a little time in that wild country west of ABQ back in the 70s (the lava flow pre-National Consevation Area days, and Acoma Rez) - even had my life threatened by Gus Raney one fine day. This is when I first became aware of the Adams tale.

The crypto-Jews' history in the San Luis Valley in CO is long-standing and quite interesting. The treasure tales up there grab you too.

I agree that the Navajo and Jemez links to the LAD don't fit well. The original Patterson version was published in a Socorro newspaper in 1887 in which he describes talking with Adams in 1876 at Horse Springs NM. Patterson then spent lots of time and lots of money looking for the diggings, apparently based on Adams' testimony - all to no avail. Makes one suspect that the info he received from Adams was questionable - a claim echoed by many over the years. By the time of thePost#7 newspaper article - 1889 - I guess Patterson was looking wherever he hadn't looked yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
RE: Twin Peaks per sdcfia:

Angle matters, too. I think I know where Tres Hermanas is per one old story, but you'd never find it on a topo or by it's Rand McNalley name. History and on the ground research were Both required.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
RE: Twin Peaks per sdcfia:

Angle matters, too. I think I know where Tres Hermanas is per one old story, but you'd never find it on a topo or by it's Rand McNalley name. History and on the ground research were Both required.

Yes, I suppose at the correct angle, Tres Hermanas might even appear to be two peaks, not three. Twin peaks are plentiful, and depending on your criteria, can be striking, or if you're not too choosy, just memorable. Some are even named as such. The ones below were part of a LAD controversy in the early 1980s, as a guy in a LAD search group was convicted of murdering one of his partners.

twin peaks.jpg

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Which Mimbres cemetery are you referring to?

Maybe I meant Georgetown. Some cool guy wrote a book that suggested there's relevant symbology and perhaps geometry therein.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
I spent quite a little time in that wild country west of ABQ back in the 70s (the lava flow pre-National Consevation Area days, and Acoma Rez) - even had my life threatened by Gus Raney one fine day. This is when I first became aware of the Adams tale.

That Raney guy sounds scary. Not sure where else I read about him. There was a loco guy that Ron and Paul ran across somewhere around the Double H. They spent a little time in his cabin talking, and made every excuse to leave. Found out later that he was suspected in several murders.

The crypto-Jews' history in the San Luis Valley in CO is long-standing and quite interesting. The treasure tales up there grab you too.

Right folks, but I was down in NM. I think CO is way too far north for Adams any way it could be stretched.

I agree that the Navajo and Jemez links to the LAD don't fit well. The original Patterson version was published in a Socorro newspaper in 1887 in which he describes talking with Adams in 1876 at Horse Springs NM. Patterson then spent lots of time and lots of money looking for the diggings, apparently based on Adams' testimony - all to no avail. Makes one suspect that the info he received from Adams was questionable - a claim echoed by many over the years. By the time of thePost#7 newspaper article - 1889 - I guess Patterson was looking wherever he hadn't looked yet.
[/QUOTE]

If Adams was a straight-out liar, then he would not have to stick to the same old story. He could just make up a new one closer to whatever bar he happened to be in. He'd be a fool to tell it 100% correctly, I think. There's a story over your way involving a large fluorine quartz blow shaped like a horse's head. Of the many other details I have on it, it seems that some must certainly be fakes or misleading. Geography and geology is all there, just not quite like its laid out in the telling, despite the VERY specific locale and first-hand notes.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Yes, I suppose at the correct angle, Tres Hermanas might even appear to be two peaks, not three. Twin peaks are plentiful, and depending on your criteria, can be striking, or if you're not too choosy, just memorable. Some are even named as such. The ones below were part of a LAD controversy in the early 1980s, as a guy in a LAD search group was convicted of murdering one of his partners.

View attachment 1526035

Yikes. Murder. Very sad. Probably had more to it than just the delusion that they were on to the treasure - probably a girl involved or some unforgivable insult.

My example is a jumble of minor peaks and hills that look like a *very* distinct 3 from the only place they would have really been viewed from along a long-forgotten route of travel. Not something that can be seen from the pavement...

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I meant Georgetown. Some cool guy wrote a book that suggested there's relevant symbology and perhaps geometry therein.

Ah, yes, the Georgetown Cemetery. Right at the head of Lamp Bright Draw. Lots of history around there. And rich silver mines too.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If Adams was a straight-out liar, then he would not have to stick to the same old story. He could just make up a new one closer to whatever bar he happened to be in. He'd be a fool to tell it 100% correctly, I think.

Straight-out liars can't seem to keep their details right because they're constantly making things up, not remembering them. If Adams had known where the diggings were, he'd have eventually returned, I think.

There's a story over your way involving a large fluorine quartz blow shaped like a horse's head. Of the many other details I have on it, it seems that some must certainly be fakes or misleading. Geography and geology is all there, just not quite like its laid out in the telling, despite the VERY specific locale and first-hand notes.

Never heard of that story. Sounds like fun.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yikes. Murder. Very sad. Probably had more to it than just the delusion that they were on to the treasure - probably a girl involved or some unforgivable insult.

No girl involved ... just personalities, politics and money.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Adams Article #3

At the risk of depressing everyone with the growing inconsistencies and also the general tone of this particualr article, here is another one:

View attachment UntitledA.pdf

Interesting that there is a Georgetown man in the mix.

Adams is listed as the sole survivor - no German.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Adams Article #4

Since I may be away for a while, and the last one was so depressing, I'll post another one that I think is a lot closer to a possible area, though the article itself does not have a lot of details. If you read about all this enough, then this region becomes more interesting.

View attachment Untitled77.pdf

Governor Otero probably just needed a week or so away from the usual. That part of the Black Range is beautiful. Lots of mines in the area. The San Mateos are on the way, too.

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
Adams Article #5

Aww, heck, here's another. I forget how many there are in total in my one folder. I'll probably end up posting some more than one out of confusion.

Here's a Patterson-inspired version. Now the placer is worth 6 horses, not just one horse and a rifle. At least there is a German in this one, complete with stereotype accent. Adams must have been in good shape. 10 graves! (Or 9, if the German got away).

View attachment Untitled9.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread