The Cactus Marker

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
cactusjumper said:
It's been many years since I have been to the Cactus Marker location, but this picture is pretty close. Where the canyon makes a straight line angled towards Bluff Spring Mountain is about where I remember it being. The terrain is nothing like what Cayce described.

Joe Ribaudo

Joe,

I don't know if anyone is still following the "New Twist" thread, but I thought you might get a kick out of this. I recently downloaded the new version of GoogleEarth and thought it would be interesting to see if I could match you Cactus Marker Location image with a GoogleEarth image. Check it out. Yes, I've been in the Super's a few times myself.

Your photo
AREA OF CACTUS MARKER.jpg

My GoogleEarth Image
CactusMarkerSite.jpg

I think I got the GoogleEarth "camera" pretty close to where your photo was shot.

Bill

Attachments

• AREA OF CACTUS MARKER.jpg
    AREA OF CACTUS MARKER.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 335
  • CactusMarkerSite.jpg
    CactusMarkerSite.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 342

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

Welcome to the discussion.

Many thanks for the Google picture. It's really very close to where the picture was taken.

I spent a year out on Kodiak Island. You kind of went from one extreme :icon_sunny: to another.

You should tell us about your adventures in Arizona, as well as in Alaska.

Thanks again.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
alaskabill

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Thanks, Joe and Don Jose,

There aren't that many Arizona experiences since I only spent 15 months at Williams AFB and the recent trip two years ago, but I'd be glad to share them. Having read about half of the threads on LDM, I'm not sure where to post them. If I can't find an appropriate thread to add them, I'll just start a new thread and post back here so you know where to find my ramblings. Or, I could keep the Arizona experiences on this thread. The Alaska capers might have to go outside the LDM thread, like "Some Alaska Adventures of A Dutchman Enthusiast" or something like that. What do you suggest?

Back to Arizona. I'll start with this one..... at the beginning....

My interest in the LDM began when in high school in Pennsylvania. I stumbled across a book in the library about the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine in Arizona. I wish I could remember the name of the book, but it was quite a while ago. I decided then and there that some day I would go to the Superstitions and see for myself what this legend was all about. I always wanted to be a pilot and you can imagine how excited I was when I was selected as a ROTC graduate to attend AF flight training at Williams Air Force Base in Chandler, Arizona ! I flew over the Super's every day on my way to the training areas. It didn't take long to plan my first trek into the Mountain. It was not difficult to find another crazy adventurer in my class to go along. A buddy of mine went with me in the Fall of '61 over the Don's Trail to Black Top Mesa and back in a day. But what a day that was. On the way in we passed through Ed Piper's camp. After a short "hello the camp" we rounded a large bolder in the trail and there he was sitting inside his canvas tent mostly in a shadow. He had something in his hand on the cot, but it was too dark to make out what it was. All he wanted to know was where we were going and when we were leaving. He could have cared less who we were. Rather inhospitable we thought, but knowing a little about him and the conflicts in there, I understood his caution. Without further words, we left. On the return that afternoon, we crossed to the other side of East Boulder Canyon and took a cross-country route along the base of Weaver's Needle to avoid his camp, then rejoined the trail beyond his camp. We were surprised to notice from a distance that there were now four men in his camp. Makes me wonder where these guys where when we first came through. Probably out of sight, checking us out. What is that old saying.... ignorance is bliss? When I got home that night, I began planning for the next trip into the magnificent, majestic Superstitions.

Bill

OP
OP
alaskabill

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
cactusjumper said:
I spent a year out on Kodiak Island. You kind of went from one extreme :icon_sunny: to another.

By the way, Joe, what were you doing on Kodiak..... were you panning those beaches for gold?

Bill

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Has any one ever tried flying over the area with an infrared camera at night to look for warm air escaping out of tunnels and mine shafts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread