MAN LOST IN SUPERSTITIONS

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Recieved this from Roger today:

[There is an individual, Jesse Capen from Denver, Colorado, who has gone missing in the Superstitions since Dec 5th. Jesse is a white male, about 35 yrs old, 5'8'' tall, 205 lbs, and has dark hair and eyes. He parked his jeep at the Tortilla Ranch Trailhead and set up a tent camp at Kane Spring area. It appears that he had not been in his camp for the past 8 to 10 days. He had some maps in his jeep and tent marked with places in Peters Canyon around Cottonwood Seep and the mouth of Pistol Canyon. The Maricopa County Sheriff's office has done an air and ground search for a number of days, but has now called it off unless they get some leads on where to look.

Jesse's family said he was going to Arizona to look for the Dutchman's Mine or treasure. They think he had been corresponding with someone in Arizona about the LDM or possibly on one of the LDM Forums.

A Specific Question: Have any of you had any communication with Jesse Capen and have any idea of where he might have been headed in the Superstitions? If that detail were available, the MCSO would restart the search in that area.

Appreciate any input you have on this subject.

Thanks,

Roger]

Joe

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear cactusjumper;
Why doesn't someone go out and find him with some bloodhounds? Because of the ultra-dry climes, a scent can hang around for weeks and weeks before dissipating. It might be a good idea to raise up a couple of good scent hounds to find those lost LDM searchers, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,

I received a request today as well to post that information on the TNET site - the only slightly additional information I was sent is copied below and highlighted in red.

This kind of story kind of hits home after I spent 3/4 days in the exact same area described a couple years ago.

A Specific Question: Have any of you had any communication with Jesse Capen and have any idea of where he might have been headed in the Superstitions? If that detail were available, the MCSO would restart the search in that area. If you have any information, please contact the Mesa District Office of MCSO at 602-876-1853.

This case reinforces that hikers in the Superstition Wilderness need an emergency satellite communicator for emergency situations - especially if going in alone. This could easily mean the difference between life and death.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
My dad was a big fan of the LDM stories as have been I . One thing that is not mentioned very much is that there are some folks there that are very territorial about that section of land . Some have been searching for that mine for 20 or 30 years . They view every new face as a poacher on a claim they have yet to find . Every new person is viewed as competition and are considered a trespasser . There have been fatalities . Teams are better than singles .

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
To the family and friends of Jesse Capen if you are reading this - don't give up hope, I know of cases where people have gone missing for months and turned up alive and well. It is possible that he will hike his way out on his own too.

Has anyone contacted Randy (Djui) I know he hikes in the Supers frequently, maybe he has seen something?
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
All,

Please keep in mind that this man's family may very well be checking into sites like ours.

If you feel the urge to post something, consider their feelings right now. Remember, this could be you or someone you love.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jesse Capen and his family.

Joe Ribaudo

Couldn't agree with you more Joe!!

There's alot of dutch hunters who frequent these sites who live in the area, and I'm hoping that if the weather is good for hiking out there as I think it usually is this time of year, one or more of those folks can get back into some of those more remote areas and see what they can do to help!

My thoughts are with him and his family as well!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we were still in Arizona - we'd be right there.

I have contacted a couple of people I know, who know the supers well - including that area where he went in.

I'm saying my prayers every night for this man.

B

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
If the SAR group has suspended its mission, there is nothing preventing concerned volunteers from trying to locate the missing subject on their own. However, only those with significent experience in this type of dangerous and remote terrain should consider engaging in any sort of 'private search', and should never venture out in a group of less than three people, minimum, at any time. The recent SAR Incident Commander should be advised and consulted prior to any activity - he/she may be able to provide valuable information about what they have found so far.

Even though the subject has been out for quite a while, there are any number of reasons for his absence, some obvious, some not. I'm familiar with two searches in New Mexico for 'treasure hunters' who were never lost and when 'found', refused assistance.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CJ,

On the news yesterday or the day before - they were asking for any volunteers who knew the area, so, I don't know. Once the search is called off, it may turn into a recovery search.

Either way - anyone who knows the area - especially if they are already out there - I do believe is welcome to look - why would you not.

I've never searched the Supers for a lost person, but I have participated in a couple of other searches - and not one time have the police said no.

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been in the supers for weeks on end, so, it could be a matter of - crap, I lost my tent and stuff, but, upward and onwards. (it does get cold when it rains up there - especially if you get wet).

CJ,

Please don't take this wrong - or out of context, but more than one person has gone without help when others have an attitude of "it's not my job".

If you have ever watched "I Survived", you will hear, on a regular basis, that people asked for help and people just slammed doors or drove on by.

If I lived in Arizona, I could not live with myself if I had personal knowledge of an area, and didn't at least check out the areas that I knew. Just
think, if it was one of YOUR family members or friends - would you want it limited to people who might know the area, but don't have a clue where a treasure hunter might go?

Of course, we do handle our trips to the Supers differently than you, I believe - you have people who pack you in and set you up - I wouldnn't do that, personally, but there is a reason you do that - but it limits the areas that you know, to the areas that those who set you up take you to.

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CJ,

See, I told you not to take my statement wrong, and you did anyway.

I was NOT belittling your time in the Supers - and, here's another deal - we are not very far apart in age (I am considerably older than Roy), and I still pack myself in and out from everywhere we go, including the Supers (except for the year following my stroke). It's not a "pissing" contest, Joe, it is a simple matter of you giving me the feeling that if someone is not part of some elite group, that they have no business being there.
I gotta tell you - one of my pet peeves in life in people who never step out of their comfort zone and just say "IT'S NOT MY JOB". Because, I gotta tell you - I would trust many treasure hunters, right here at Tnet, to find me in the Supers, over JUST the guys that make grids to search, otherwise known as the "professionals". Because they have been there and know that treasure hunters go off the trail - they leave their tents to go on little side hunts, they know you can find shelter in a cave - and where some of those caves are, etc.

I will re-iterate my point - what if it was one of your family members and the "my poop doesn't stink" experts hadn't find them - would you, or would you not, appreciate the fact that you have friends and other folks who might be helpful?

So, are you saying that it would be a hindrance, rather than a help, for an experienced treasure hunter to be helping, if they were very familiar with the area?

Heck, that IS our area of expertise - it IS the area that we have spent many many nights and days.

If you are simply talking about coordination of efforts - that's a whole 'nother story, and not really what I hear you saying.

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of our searches are done at night

Do you have that going on in your neck of the woods very often?

You are right about it being a specific skill - that was one of the things they trained Mr. O in when he was a corrections officer. Even working with dogs is a specialty, separate from man tracking man.

B

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
The government,ours,haha, U.S., has satellites with all kinds of cababilities that could grid search and probably find this lost person very fast. I see no reason why all taxpayers should not have access to these technologys we all paid for. I say to the family of the missing man, hang in there , pray, and dont give up hope.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen cops use dogs on TV, but I have to admit - while Roy has been on Correctional man-hunts, I have never been a part of one. Though, my job in the Army was veterinarian assistant - but to mostly other kinds of dogs. (and other creatures).

I have to say, I was really, really, impressed with the dogs from the prison that Roy worked at. There was never a successful completed escape, between the dog guys, and the men (the ones that hunted without the dogs).

Of course, they always let them "have a little taste of hot blood", as it were, as a reward, but they were really good. They are the only dogs I really have seen working. (other than on TV).

They sent Roy to a special school, and the day he graduated, on our way home, there were police and correction officers all over the place, not too far from the prison (about 10 -12 miles) from our house. We stopped, and of course, he had to go. (I also hated the unexpected phone calls).

But, within the hour, they had the guy. (which forever impressed me, mostly because he was in a swamp).

I was just wondering if they get day-timers or long-term campers that get lost in your area. (here, its usually the weekend warriors/campers/hunters). In fact, yesterday - actually towards evening, they had helicopters up looking for someone or something, but it didn't come over the local scanners), and it only lasted about an hour or so - so I think they were looking for an accident area. Here, like many parts of Arizona, once you turn down a dirt road, you can go forever without seeing another car). So, if you have an accident, it sometimes takes awhile.
The same if you go wandering the hills.

But, thankfully - some people can stay out forever, and are very resourceful.

I just really hope that everything goes well.

Ghostdog,

Have you been watching Jessee Ventura's show?

B

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
cactusjumper said:
... Many of our searches are done at night.......most actually. You would be amazed at how a track will show up with a flashlight. Mantracking is an art, as well as a learned skill...

Ive been with Grant County SAR here in NM for the past 15 years. Nearly all searches begin at night - hiking in the mountains at 3am with lights is SOP. Tracks are much easier to find in the dark with a low-held flashlight than during daylight because of the illumination angle. You'd be surprised how much more easily. We often are fortunate to have US Border Patrol volunteers aid our efforts. They are professional trackers and are very, very good at it. Even though NM has a couple dozen certified SAR teams of various sizes and expertices, it's not unusual on a large search to use additional resources as required - National Guard volunteers, mounted patrol groups, Arizona SAR teams, etc. It's a reasonably well-oiled machine considering that it's all vounteer.

A grid search of difficult terrain is impossible, of course. That's why any knowledge of the subject's plans or clues found on trails (footprints, flagging, cairns, litter, etc.) are so important - if the subject goes cross-country, the searchers want to know where he left the trail. This way, the search area can be better concentrated. Frequently, the State Police and National Guard will provide helicopter grid flights, including at night with FLIR, looking for fires, signals, and if lucky, the subject. This is an invaluable tool as it is, as mentioned, virtually impossible to ground search our terrain off-trail, even with scent dogs.

And Beth - anyone who has specific experience in the search area who can be of help is always welcomed, under the supervision of the SAR commander while the mission is under way. If there is no official search occurring, then 'citizen volunteers' are on their own and can do as they wish. These types of people often later join a SAR team because of this type of 'can-do' attitude. A number of 'finds' here have been made by ranchers, rural residents, etc.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear cactusjumper;
One word, my friend. GPS (OK, that's an abbreviation of three words, but if you say the three initials quickly enough, it becomes a word).

Does anyone know if the lost gentleman had a GPS unit with him? If so, then one may conclude that:
1) The GPS is not functioning (unlikely)
2) He is not lost and therefore does not wish to be found. (Again unlikely)
3) He has met with an injury and he cannot return to his jump off point under his own volition. (most likely)
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions